I keep wondering..

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LonelyDragon said:
blue_azure said:
Well, a relationship is not the main thing in life. I too am 19, never had a bf before and I cannot help but think having a bf will ease this loneliness in me...

Well, yes and no. Having someone that you are that close to is a great thing. But a person needs more than just one special person to revolve their life around. Otherwise what happens if that person isn't there anymore for one reason or another?

Mhmm.

LonelyDragon said:
ExtensivexLDL said:
Indeed. Allow me to say though that in my opinion never having a significant other doesn't get to girls as much as it does to guys, since for girls, a balance of a social life and time invested in a relationship is what's important and they could busy themselves with a social life for quite a while without worrying so much, while a guy can have an endless amount of friends and still never feel fully whole knowing he's never been in a relationship (This is especially the case if almost every male friend/acquintance he knows HAS been in one. Particularly painful is knowing YOUNGER people who have been in a relationship in such a case).

I think that's a pretty general statement. I'm sure women feel the way you describe guys too in some (many) cases. And I've known plenty of guys who could care less if they have a g/f or not. (Some of them would fall under the category of "player" for example.)

I'm sure those guys 'who could care less if they have a girlfriend or not' are those who have been in relationships in the past and are therefore not that worried about ever meeting someone else again-- unlike my situation. Also my opinion- there's not category called 'player', there are only those who are more successful with the opposite sex (due to better social skills, flirting, etc) and those who are less, like myself, always trying to hone and improve their skills. I personally, barlely ever have a chance to practice them anywhere since I barely go out but still..

LonelyDragon said:
blue_azure said:
Well, a relationship is not the main thing in life. I too am 19, never had a bf before and I cannot help but think having a bf will ease this loneliness in me...

Well, yes and no. Having someone that you are that close to is a great thing. But a person needs more than just one special person to revolve their life around. Otherwise what happens if that person isn't there anymore for one reason or another?

Of course. But, gah. There's no way I can stop myself from feeling like this right? :shy:

ExtensivexLDL said:
Indeed. Allow me to say though that in my opinion never having a significant other doesn't get to girls as much as it does to guys, since for girls, a balance of a social life and time invested in a relationship is what's important and they could busy themselves with a social life for quite a while without worrying so much, while a guy can have an endless amount of friends and still never feel fully whole knowing he's never been in a relationship (This is especially the case if almost every male friend/acquintance he knows HAS been in one. Particularly painful is knowing YOUNGER people who have been in a relationship in such a case).

Oh be surprised. Girls can give pressure too. Especially when you are in a circle whereby everyone has a bf. Especially comments like "You're not that bad looking. Go get a bf!" which are a bit painful because they remind me of my super low self esteem. Lol.

I know how this is. Life is even harder when you learn to keep people away at all costs as a child. When you grow up having lost, not the ability to trust, but the desire to. That it's easier to not give people the room to hurt you more then you already have been. I sometimes think that laws should be passed that require parents to show that they show compassion for others. Or something that proves they won't abuse their own children or each other.

How would you like to be 30 and bairely even touched another human being in 15 years?

Skorian said:
I know how this is. Life is even harder when you learn to keep people away at all costs as a child. When you grow up having lost, not the ability to trust, but the desire to. That it's easier to not give people the room to hurt you more then you already have been. I sometimes think that laws should be passed that require parents to show that they show compassion for others. Or something that proves they won't abuse their own children or each other.

How would you like to be 30 and bairely even touched another human being in 15 years?

Try being 40.

blue_azure said:
LonelyDragon said:
blue_azure said:

Of course. But, gah. There's no way I can stop myself from feeling like this right? :shy:

Yeah, you can't fully stop it but you can try your best to manage the feeling.

ExtensivexLDL said:

Oh be surprised. Girls can give pressure too. Especially when you are in a circle whereby everyone has a bf. Especially comments like "You're not that bad looking. Go get a bf!" which are a bit painful because they remind me of my super low self esteem. Lol.

Yeah. But girls typically wait for guys to approach them so you should just try to put yourself in the best possible circumstance(s) for that to happen. (Unless you have a male friend who you have feelings for or something- then you should probably make a move).

Skorian said:
I sometimes think that laws should be passed that require parents to show that they show compassion for others. Or something that proves they won't abuse their own children or each other.

Well the upholding of such laws would probably be pretty hard to monitor.

They do have laws against that. Child abuse. Or neglect of children. Parents/Guardians can be imprisoned and/or fined. And have the children removed either temporarily or permanently.

Other people, not so much. Because, who can really tell someone how to treats others... As nice as it would be, you can't go up to people and demand anything, and really expect to get it. If they are somewhat decent, then it's easier. But for the most part, many people are rude. =/

I think your major problem is that you haven't been able to meet girls that could potentially be your girlfriend, right?
From my personal experience I've seen that, whenever people get a new partner, they have met either online (dating websites) in clubs or bars, or through friends.

You already said that you're not meeting any new people through your current circle of friends. It's hard, but I think you need to try going out more, even if that means going out by your self. Or maybe you can tag along some of your current friends if they want to. Maybe they have the same desire to meet new people, you're just not aware of that.

And let me also say this, having a boyfriend or girlfriend, isn't everything.
It's not some magical fix for any loneliness you might be feeling. I'm not sure, but maybe a relationship is only a remedy for loneliness if you're good friends with your partner. (Reminds me of this quote: A love without friendship is like a mansion built upon sand). Which would basically mean - if you have a good friend that you're very close too, you'll already feel better too.

But yeah, that's without the kissing, romance and sex, I know.

You should also watch out. I'm currently seeing someone but I'm not entirely happy with how it's going. And when you're a bit desperate, I guess you tend to let people treat you the way they please. And looking back, I don't think I've always been treated right. So watch out for that.

VanillaCreme said:
But for the most part, many people are rude. =/

I don't particularly agree.

CherryTree said:
You already said that you're not meeting any new people through your current circle of friends. It's hard, but I think you need to try going out more, even if that means going out by your self. Or maybe you can tag along some of your current friends if they want to. Maybe they have the same desire to meet new people, you're just not aware of that.

Going out alone is incredibly depressing and very unpromising. You're very hard-pressed to just come across someone sitting there alone (and not tuned in to their ipod or talking on a cell phone for that matter) and to just approach them and hit it off. As for getting my friends to tag along, (wherever that may be), I think it's a little unfair to them since they aren't particularly of the going-out kind and I'm pretty certain they're content just being with each other without trying to meet someone new (they have a lot more in common with each other than I have with any of them for instance). Generally speaking, I think going out with the sole purpose of trying to meet someone is a little loserish but that's my opinion. Nonetheless, I understand that trying to get out more is a much healthier and beneficial option than choosing to stay at home a lot of the time.

CherryTree said:
I'm not sure, but maybe a relationship is only a remedy for loneliness if you're good friends with your partner.

It's hard to make things roll that way though, unless you've been good friends with the person prior to the start of the relationship.

CherryTree said:
So watch out for that.

Will do. :p

ExtensivexLDL said:
Going out alone is incredibly depressing and very unpromising. You're very hard-pressed to just come across someone sitting there alone (and not tuned in to their ipod or talking on a cell phone for that matter) and to just approach them and hit it off. As for getting my friends to tag along, (wherever that may be), I think it's a little unfair to them since they aren't particularly of the going-out kind and I'm pretty certain they're content just being with each other without trying to meet someone new (they have a lot more in common with each other than I have with any of them for instance). Generally speaking, I think going out with the sole purpose of trying to meet someone is a little loserish but that's my opinion. Nonetheless, I understand that trying to get out more is a much healthier and beneficial option than choosing to stay at home a lot of the time.

Yes it is very depressing to go out alone, and I get what you're saying, I've felt the same way. Actually reading back on what I wrote earlier I kind of disagree with myself :p

When you go out it doesn't necessarily have to be clubbing though. You can go other places where you wouldn't have to go through all that stuff. People meet new people at the strangest of places. It could really be anywhere, just as long as there're people. I didn't mean for you to drag your friends along to places they wouldn't feel at ease. I'd recommend something like a pool cafe, playing pool is a lot of fun and relaxing :). You don't have to be so focused on meeting new people. And it could be something your friends might enjoy too. I don't know what pool cafes are like in your area, but here it has a different atmosphere than in say, a club or a bar. But of course that's entirely up to you.
I was using the bars or clubs as an example because it's most likely the most common place to meet someone new (because somehow most people there already have that expectation in the back of their heads, if you get what I mean).
And yes, I agree it does sound rather loserish to go out just for the sole purpose of meeting someone. There is a difference though, in going out just to look for a girl to hook up with, and going out to meet new people.

ExtensivexLDL said:
It's hard to make things roll that way though, unless you've been good friends with the person prior to the start of the relationship.

It can work it's way there during the relationship. It'd be annoying to be good friends with someone first and then slowly try to transiate into a love relationship. Most people that are in love relationships might actually be very good friends, but most people don't really look at it that way, maybe that's what makes it seem even harder.
But yeah, it's not easy. And it takes time. But I for one am convinced it's essential. It's one of the things I'm missing in my own relationship now, too.

Kay, that's all I have to say.
It's fun talking to you :D

Cherrytree said:
ExtensivexLDL said:

When you go out it doesn't necessarily have to be clubbing though. You can go other places where you wouldn't have to go through all that stuff.

Of course, i wasn't really inferring anything specific in mind, though clubbing is one of those typical things people all the time in order to have fun and engage with random unrelated groups of people and maybe to 'get lucky' wink. But yeah.. if I would ever to seriously cosider clubbing... oh man.. me avec my current group of friends...

=negative.
lol:p

CherryTree said:
People meet new people at the strangest of places. It could really be anywhere, just as long as there're people. I didn't mean for you to drag your friends along to places they wouldn't feel at ease. I'd recommend something like a pool cafe, playing pool is a lot of fun and relaxing :). You don't have to be so focused on meeting new people. And it could be something your friends might enjoy too. I don't know what pool cafes are like in your area, but here it has a different atmosphere than in say, a club or a bar. But of course that's entirely up to you.

Yeah, I've been a couple of times and I'd agree it has a slightly different atmosphere. (Well in my case it was a pub+ pool bar.. so).

Still however, as it is with my friends, they'd rather stay at someone's house much of the time playing Magic (for Christ's sake lol) than go out to bars, pool cafes, listen to live music and other stuff like that and I'd don't feel like I have much of influence over them to get them to do the latter stuff more and subsequently don't feel comfortable giving alterior suggestions whilst knowing they're not really those kind of people...

Also, I have this very slight fear of others judging me by my friends and hence I'm not particularly thrilled with others seeing me in public with them.
I mean yeah, this is probably a case of poor character on my part but alas..

CherryTree said:
There is a difference though, in going out just to look for a girl to hook up with, and going out to meet new people.

Mhmm.

CherryTree said:
Kay, that's all I have to say.
It's fun talking to you :D

Likewise.
You sound quite mature for your age- best of luck to you :)

ExtensivexLDL said:
Likewise.
You sound quite mature for your age- best of luck to you :)
Thank you for saying that :)
I have a bit of an immature side and mature side to me, but when I'm around people mostly only the immature side shows :p

Best of luck to you too, I really hope you'll find a solution for your problems.

Latest posts

Back