I need some help

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh

Reaction score
This is pretty much first time I am going to admit to this and ask for help but I know I really need to do something to break my cycle.

I either have some form of depression most likely Major depression or I am bi-polar or something. I watch my self go from almost happy to mad to somewhat normal then into a very deep depression. It has pretty much been the cycle my whole life and usally I deal with it fine when I happy things go pretty good when I depress my work suffers my grades in school go down a bit and I pretty much lose intrest in everything and everyone. I feel my self starting to go down again and I want so bad to stop it this time. I don't know how I can by myself though.

I have been really thinking maybe some kind of medication could help me or even just seeing a psychiatrist or something.

Now this is where I need help I have insurance but everything I do with my insurance gets back to my job and I don't know how they would take it and I don't know what could happen with my pharmacy license I have heard of people having thiers taken away for certain mental conditions where they are dubed unfit. So I need to either find a cheap or free psychiatrist and one that would not know about my job or license so there would be no way I could lose my license.

If anyone knows anything or has any suggestions please I am desprate right now and worried if I don't act fast I will just become to depressed once again to do anything about it.

hi josh,
it does sound like you
have some sort of depression?
especially with the cycle thing,

i think that's an important thing
to bring if you go see a doctor
or someone about it - which i think
you should. always better to check
it out, and not jump to conclusions.
anywho, sorry i'd write more
but i'm actually at school right now
haha, and it's pretty awkward..

umm i know quite a little bit bout
depression if you talk about it.
i'm not like judgemental or anything
if you're feeling weird and like you're
the only one experiencing these horrible
feelings! :)

I also know decent amount about depression and mental disorders. I know a ton about the medications used to treat them. I worked at a state hospital for about 2 years as a pharmacy intern so thats where I learned a lot.

I know that I need to see a psychiatrist but I just can't figure out how to do it like how I said because I can't use my current health insurance and I need to be somehow assured they can't talk to either my job or anyone else.

i can really understand u worrying about this affecting ur job. but just bcuz the doc wouldnt know about ur job. doesnt mean some1 cant find out the other way around (current/potential jobs finding out about ur mental health history)
the best way around this usually involves having $$$... 2 bad. i know
but this way u could either c an online shrink confidentially. or pay cash and use a pseudonym
this is the downside of mental illness still carrying a stigma in a technologically advanced age of information :rolleyes:

Josh, can I ask how old you are and what you're eating habits are like? Do you sleep well at night? Before you run off to fill an Rx I would take a look at diet and sleep. Poor diet (sugars, carbs, and diet lacking in fruits and vegs) and disruptive sleep can make some people have extreme mood swings, irritability and depression which mimic major-depressive disorder and bipolar disorder.

Also, if you do decide to see a psychiatrist I would suggest seeing a pyschotherapist as well. One without the other is useless.

My eating habits are fine it has been something that has been a problem my whole life.

Newbirth my plan is pretty much to find one that is either free in some way or cheap then I can just lie about who I am so even if there is ever a check done they won't ever be able to find me it is just I need to find someone I can afford now in 2 or so years I will have no problem with that but I really would like to try and do something now but funds are somewhat limited being in school and all that.

Are you in the military? Because they are the only people who your are "employed" by who could access your medical records. Under HIPAA no one can access your medical records, not even an employer.

Colette said:
Are you in the military? Because they are the only people who your are "employed" by who could access your medical records. Under HIPAA no one can access your medical records, not even an employer.

No I am not in the military and I understand HIPAA but problem is if I filed it under my insurance my work would see I had seen a psychiatrist this would raise a lot of concern and if the psychiatrists diagnose was bad enough and they knew I was becoming a pharmacist there is a chance I couldn't get my license or I could even lose my current pharmacy intern license also when I do apppy to get my pharmacist license they will do a background check and I don't want any mental problems to be there hence there reason I need to find a psychiatrist that doesn't need my insurance which would have my name on it if I were to just pay cash I can lie about who I am or if there is some kind of free serivce I could do same what I need help with is finding something cheap or free.

Josh said:
Newbirth my plan is pretty much to find one that is either free in some way or cheap then I can just lie about who I am so even if there is ever a check done they won't ever be able to find me it is just I need to find someone I can afford now in 2 or so years I will have no problem with that but I really would like to try and do something now but funds are somewhat limited being in school and all that.
right. & i wouldnt count using a pseudonym as lying. not even going 2 get in2 the supposedly airtight security of hipaa LoL. what a joke. but okay. lets get the ball rolling. uve got the net @ ur disposal 2 search 4 low cost/free counseling/therapy. if u live in a small town. u might have 2 travel some. but ur idea isnt all that impossible
i would start searches by state (think ur american?) 2 c a broad view of whats out there. then c what was within a reasonable traveling distance
u can also look in2...
therapists who charge on a sliding scale
or
if u live near a college/university u can call their psych dept & ask if they have low cost counseling plans 4 the public
&
therapists who do pro bono work (the apa strongly suggests every shrink should keep a couple of pro bono slots but u usually have 2 have special circumstances 2 qualify... if ur under 22?? u might b able 2)
+
there r a lot of orgs now who pair up pro bonos w/the ppl who need them ... look 4 those 2

Josh said:
Colette said:

No I am not in the military and I understand HIPAA but problem is if I filed it under my insurance my work would see I had seen a psychiatrist this would raise a lot of concern and if the psychiatrists diagnose was bad enough and they knew I was becoming a pharmacist there is a chance I couldn't get my license or I could even lose my current pharmacy intern license also when I do apppy to get my pharmacist license they will do a background check and I don't want any mental problems to be there hence there reason I need to find a psychiatrist that doesn't need my insurance which would have my name on it if I were to just pay cash I can lie about who I am or if there is some kind of free serivce I could do same what I need help with is finding something cheap or free.

You can google the background checks used for pharmacies. They check for criminal history with narcotics not use of antidepressants. I have friends who work in hospitals and are some are socialworkers. HIPAA is no joke because of all the lawsuits over the years.

Trust me when I say that even as a pharmacist information regarding your Rx or doctors CANNOT be given to your employer even if they are a pharmacy.

My friend applied for a job with the D.E.A. (Drug Enforcement Agency) 5 years ago and was seeing a psychiatrist, therapist, was hospitalized once for severe depression and anxiety and was taking anti-anxiety meds (narcotics) she got the job because the backround check is concerned with criminal activity in relation to drugs. By the way she still works for the D.E.A. and is still seeing dr's and taking meds.

You can do what you want with this info but if you feel that you definitely needs meds and therapy than you should do something about it.

NewBirth said:
Josh said:
right. & i wouldnt count using a pseudonym as lying. not even going 2 get in2 the supposedly airtight security of hipaa LoL. what a joke. but okay. lets get the ball rolling. uve got the net @ ur disposal 2 search 4 low cost/free counseling/therapy. if u live in a small town. u might have 2 travel some. but ur idea isnt all that impossible
i would start searches by state (think ur american?) 2 c a broad view of whats out there. then c what was within a reasonable traveling distance
u can also look in2...
therapists who charge on a sliding scale
or
if u live near a college/university u can call their psych dept & ask if they have low cost counseling plans 4 the public
&
therapists who do pro bono work (the apa strongly suggests every shrink should keep a couple of pro bono slots but u usually have 2 have special circumstances 2 qualify... if ur under 22?? u might b able 2)
+
there r a lot of orgs now who pair up pro bonos w/the ppl who need them ... look 4 those 2

Thanks newbirth those are some great ideas I never thought of.

Hey colette sory I am almost being agurmentive with you when your just trying to help me.

I don't know how you can do it, but try to hide your assets and go to your local health and human services and tell them you really, really need to see a psychiatrist. And ask for a diagnosis. Tell them your patterns of depression and see what the diagnosis is.

Latest posts

Back