I wanted to offer some constructive information

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grundel70

Reaction score
Hey guys! I, like many of you, have battled depression and loneliness for most of my life. I am still bound to have a few fits of sadness and depression from time to time, but for the most part things are looking pretty good for me. I really feel good about who I am, and most importantly, I have hope for tomorrow.

I know that alot of people can relate to some of the things I have said or written about on these boards, and I am sure that some have not. I don't have answers for everyone or everything, but I would like to share some things that I have learned recently that really have helped me feel better about myself. All I want to do is try and help. Maybe something I write will help someone. Maybe it won't. But the least I can do is try.

Well, here it goes.

1. Dress nice. This may sound weird, but I will be damned if it doesn't work. I just got promoted into management at the pharmacy I work at. In my new position I am required to dress 'professional' at work. This is something I really haven't done in a very long time. I put on shirts and ties, nice dress pants, keep myself shaved and groomed, shine my shoes, etc... All of a sudden at work I notice I carry myself a little different. I feel more confident. People who have never spoken to me before now smile and say good morning. So I started dressing like this when I go to the store, the dog park, the movies, etc... I have had on several occaisions people that I don't know stop and say 'wow, you look handsome'. To an old, fat, bald, ugly nerd who has NEVER had any woman at any time in his life tell that to him...it was a real jaw dropper! I still think I am very unnatractive, but it does show that anyone can clean up nice. And once you start to take a bit of pride in how you look, it starts to show on the inside. It didn't happen right away, took about a month or so before folks started saying stuff, but it works!

2. Work out. Again, not to sound preechy, but since I started to go to the gym on a regular basis, I feel so much better about myself. I am still fat and ugly, and probably will always be, but after spending an hour excercising I do feel better. Don't knock it til you try it. Give it a couple weeks and i promise you will feel better!

3. Get a dog or cat. I say a dog or cat as they tend to be more interactive pets that show alot of affection. If you want to know what unconditional love is, come home to a puppy that goes bonkers just at the site of your face. Or get a cat that will always want to cuddle with you when you sit on the couch about to watch TV. I take my dog to the dog park every weekend, and I always get people to talk to me without me initiating it. They always start off talking about my dog, then from there it goes anywhere. Also, if you are a guy, I have met ALOT of nice young ladies taking my dog for a walk! Dogs are excellent chick magnets!

4. Compliment someone. If you want to talk to someone, just say something nice! I know how hard it can be open your mouth and say something to a stranger...but trust me that most of the time when you say something nice to them they will at the least smile, at the most start talking to you. If you are never willing to say something to someone, then you will never overcome loneliness and social isolation. Sometimes you just have to buck up, get brave, open your mouth and then just say 'Hi! I just wanted to say that you look really nice today'.

5. Get a hobby. You don't have to be good at anything, but if you just get up and do something, you will take your mind off of socially and self destructive behaviors and put then into something else. Sitting at home thinking about how miserable you are all the time is something I have done, and is also something that will do little to help you. Try painting. Writing poetry. Playing an instrument. Desgining website. Building models. Bird watching. Anything. TO build off of this, try to get into something that can also be social. If you like to paint, take a painting class. If you play an instrument, then see if there is someone that may want to jam with you. Take lessons or classes in something that you like.

6. Get up early. I know not everyone has a regular schedule. But still, don't try to sleep in til the last minute. Wake up early and get your day started. I find the mornings are the best time to go to the gym or to walk/run, as so few people do it then. And those that are out running or at the gym at that hour aren't there for BS reasons. I have been going to this same gym off and on for over a year. I used to hate going cause all the people there were so phoney, rude, or just shallow. But when I started going in the morning all of a sudden I saw a whole new group...this one guy that I never met before came over and started to encourage me when I was benching. Another guy came over after I did a good, hard set of lat pulls and said 'man, you had an awesome set there...I saw how hard you were pushing yourself'. Again, maybe its just me, but the people I interact with in the early morning are just...different...and in a good way.

7. Be selfless. This, more than anything else, has turned my life around. Give without ever expecting anything in return. Don't loan anyone any money, just give them money if they need it. Buy someone lunch for the hell of it. Give someone a ride, even if its out of your way. Buy a gift for someone for no reason at all. the world is a weird place. It is full of hatred and contempt. It doesn't know how to deal with love, generoisty, and kindess when it is given so freely. You do these things, and it will catch up with you. There is nothing more rewarding to see someone smile when they come back to their desk after I just bought them their favorite slurpee as a surprise.

I don't have all of the answers. I read so many posts here and see so much of myself in them. I can still feel the bitter sting of loneliness, of rejection, and self hate. They never go away. But when I started to do the things I wrote here my life just started to change for the better. I felt so much better about myself, and find myself always looking foward to the next day, and not backward wishing I had done something different.

A friend of mine once told me that if you fill your heart with love, then there won't be any room for anything else.

I find that to be true.

I hope that something I say does make sense to someone, and even helps them. I would like to open this thread up to others that may offer their own brand of constructiveness. We all came to this board for a reason. We all have shared this thing called loneliness. So now the question is...do we choose to wallow in its bitter stench? Or do we want to try and do soemthing about it? What else can we do to help each other? What are some things that you have tried that have worked? Or alternatively what traps should we avoid falling into?

Thank you for allowing this old man to ramble on for so long. I love you guys :)

That's some great advice and I really hope people listen. I don't think you could have summed it up any better and I agree completely with what you said. I have done many of the same things you did, and have noticed how much it improved my life. It might not fix everything instantly, but over time your life improves until you look back and you can be just amazed how much progress you can make in just a year or so.

I think a lot of people when they get lonely tend to get down in the dumps and put in less effort and think more about themselves, but that is exactly when you have to try harder in all aspects of your life and be more selfless. If you put in the effort and don't get discouraged you will see the results.

Great stuff Grundel70, it's nice to hear someone with a positive attitude for a change.

Those are all good suggestions. I think I probably only do half of them, lol...but all good suggestions.

Exercise in particular helped me out considerably. I find that I breathe a lot easier and I sleep a lot better because of it. It can also help improve general attitude and stave off depression. Of course there's the obvious fact that it just makes you look better, no matter how old you are.

One thing I need to work on is learning to dress nicer. The shoes I'm wearing at the moment look like something that Goodwill would toss in the garbage. :rolleyes:

Grundel, thank you.

I do a few of those and have found simmilar results.

I really should dress better, though. Almost all my clothes are 'work clothes' with a few exceptions that don't offer much variety. And by 'work clothes' I am referring to my grubby jeans, my three white long sleeve shirts that have gigantic, hand-span holes ripped in them from brush, my faded hat and my grungy pull-over hoodie that I wear during winter/burn season. My odor has commonly been described as "Woah, who set off a smoke bomb" or "Hey you smell like chainsaw" :p

It must be mentioned, too, you can find decent clothes at a thrift store. Like, you can't even tell they're pre-owned and they're really cheap, but nice. I just need to buy some, lol.

I've contemplated a dog or a cat for the company. I fear I'd be irresponsible, though...sometimes I'm not around a whole lot, and I wouldn't want to let my little friend down.

Can you give us some more examples of practical compliments? What sounds cheesy and what doesn't? I've always had problems with that.

Excellent points, I especially agree with No. 5 and 7.

I had always wanted to attend some kind of martial arts classes but I had never got around to it up until last summer after having finished my major. And now I consider it one of the best decisions I ever made. It must be something you really enjoy doing. My sister, for instance, gets a kick out of belly dancing, which I also attended for some time but I just sort of dragged my butt there with no enthusiasm, just for the sake of some physical exercise. Always got pissed when the dance teacher took particular attention to correct my wrong moves because I honestly couldn't care less whether they were correct. :p I was there just because my mother and sister wanted me to go there. I was never big on dancing, even though it does look great when my sister does it, but it just not my kind of thing. But martial arts kick ass!! I'm that kind of person who's easily depressed and put down but these classes always lift my mood! Even though you get bruises all the time and basically polish the floor with your white shirt when the classes involve fighting on the ground. Well, to each their own. :p And the instructor is one of the best people I ever had luck to meet. He's in a way also somewhat like a father to me whom I never really had (a proper father I mean).

Doing nice things to others 'just because' is very rewarding too. If anything, it makes you feel warm inside. I mean who said that you can only do good with a self-sacrificial attitude and gritted teeth.

Brain...

Thansk :) As far as practical comments...it all depends on the situation. But a good 'you look nice today' works just about anytime. I work in a call center, and I also interact with just about all of our employees in some capacity every day. I have lots of opportunities to compliment them on how they look.

Other things are comments about their eyes. This typically is better used if you compliment someone from the opposite sex (or same sex...i am not a homophobe nor do I judge anyone by their lifestyle choices, but just going by my own personal experience). If a guy were to tell me my eyes look nice I would be like 'uh, yeah'. But one young lady here did say that, and I smiled :). COmmenting about eyes or their smile is good, but typically tends to bring a 'more than friendly' kind of vibe. Still, if that is your intent, then they are great!

Compliments about what they do. 'I have never heard anyone better explain that problem than you just did'. or 'You know, I just wanted to say how impessed I am by how hard you work'.

Compliments about thier stuff. 'Wow, that is a really nice car you drive!' or 'Man! That watch is nice!'. Any jewelry they may be wearing, their car, glasses, their dog/cat, how nice their house is, how clean their desk is, etc...

Even general stuff like 'You know Chrissie, you have such a great attitude. I just want to smile when I see you!'. A young lady once told me 'you know Dave, you really make me laugh!'.

Compliment them on here. Compliment their poems, how thoughtful their posts are, how cool their avatar is, etc...

But the most important thing is to mean it. Just don't say it for the sake of saying it. When you mean these things, it carries alot of weight.

Thanks for taking the time and energy to write and share, Grundel70.

I read it a couple of times already. I'm familar with some of the suggestions.
However i still need to apply them.
I need to read it everyday so it gets embeded in my brain and becomes more natural for me.
It's simple and short enough for me to read in 5 mins everyday. I belive it will help me.
I did a screen shot :)

Thanks for that post. I do all of the following, but not consistently. I need to work on that. Maybe that will help me overcome my depression. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back