If You Knew Someone Was Cheating, Would You Tell Their Partner?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If You Knew Someone Was Cheating, Would You Tell Their Partner?

• Yes

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Depends

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters
As much as I feel against cheating in a relationship, I would have nothing to do with it, unless it was personally related. If it involved someone I was close to and cared about, I would inform them, it's only fair that someone know if their partner is cheating on them.

I keep seeing people say they'd tell a close friend or relative, but not somebody else. DreamerDeceiver said, "it's only fair that someone know if their partner is cheating on them". So here's my question: Why is it only fair if it's somebody you're close to and care about?

Hmm. Probably because I don't want enter into the business of a stranger or someone I don't really know I guess.

I understand feeling weird telling strangers. You probably wouldn't know that a stranger is being cheated on, anyway. What about friends that aren't close?

I said that because I would feel as if I had no right to meddle into a strangers affairs, no matter how strongly I felt about cheating. It would make me look bad and only bring certain embarrassment for my indiscretion. With people who are very close, there is a greater level of concern for their well-being and a proper reason to inform them of being cheated on. If they are cheating, tell them how you feel about it, as a friend, and leave it at that. That's only how I see it personally.

My mom thought her boss was being cheated on. She didn't really know her at the time she thought this, turns out...she's a 'swinger'.

I wouldn't tell a stranger, because I don't know all the details and I could be wrong.

nerdygirl said:
I understand feeling weird telling strangers. You probably wouldn't know that a stranger is being cheated on, anyway. What about friends that aren't close?

I'd say I'd have to know someone pretty well to get involved. So I probably wouldn't inform "acquaintance" level friends unless I had to lie to avoid it, in which case I'd mention it.

I think my reasoning would be that if I don't know them well enough to feel "close", I have no right to stick an oar into a private relationship.

TheSolitaryMan said:
I'd say I'd have to know someone pretty well to get involved. So I probably wouldn't inform "acquaintance" level friends unless I had to lie to avoid it, in which case I'd mention it.

I think my reasoning would be that if I don't know them well enough to feel "close", I have no right to stick an oar into a private relationship.

Is it a "right" to try to prevent somebody from being hurt? (I'm not saying you're wrong, just trying to figure it out.)

I would not volunteer information on an cheating spouse or partner, even with a relative or close friend. Because if I know, then more than likely the one being cheated on knows something's up too. People tend to kill the messenger in emotional situations like this. Or maybe the one being cheated on knows it's going on but they're turning a blind eye because they don't want the relationship to end or there's kids involved or their culture frowns on divorce or something like that. The business of cheating can get messy really fast and there's no way this No Drama Mama is getting involved in that.

Teresa

Nope.

I stay the fresia out of others' relationships. It's not my business. Unless the person cheating on their spouse is cheating on them with... say... gay elephants or something. Then it might be weird enough that I have to tell the spouse to protect them from elephant-AIDs.

Badjedidude said:
Nope.

I stay the fresia out of others' relationships. It's not my business. Unless the person cheating on their spouse is cheating on them with... say... gay elephants or something. Then it might be weird enough that I have to tell the spouse to protect them from elephant-AIDs.

So let it be known that the only way Badjedude will get involved if there is a gay elephant in middle of this. Good to know.

Under most situations yes

If the situation were reversed and I were in a relationship and she was cheating on me and a friend knew I would hope they would tell me. I would want to know.

LostInside said:
Under most situations yes

If the situation were reversed and I were in a relationship and she was cheating on me and a friend knew I would hope they would tell me. I would want to know.

i've had friends inform me that my gf was cheating one me.

i bought them beer...

and way back in the day...

a satchel'a weed

I'm not one to lie when asked a direct question. I'll skirt the truth if I can, but I don't lie outright.

That said, if it was someone close to me, I would most likely confront the cheater first... give them the old "you tell her or I will" line. It's better if it comes from them and I'm sorry but if you're going to cheat on the person you are with, you obviously don't wanna be with them that much.

Yes I would! They should be proud they have someone who cares for them. I will be damned if I'm going to sit back and watch them abuse their relationship! I don't see why these idiots get all the guys / girls! They don't understand how **** lucky they are!

TropicalStarfish said:
Some one else's love life is none of your **** business. Period, end of story.

The well being of those I care about is my business. I may not have many close friends but those I do have receive my undivided attention when I perceive any sort of threat, whether it be physical or emotional. I would like to think that someone who cared about me would act in a similar fashion should the situation ever arise.

What if your best friend/close relative was being cheated on by someone they cared deeply for? Would you stand by indifferent and let them suffer?

I can't even justify that logically which is what I do with everything. :p

Latest posts

Back