I'M A FREAK!!!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With regards self deprecation, in the context of humour self deprecation is a quality. Apart from anything else it shows humility, a lack of ego and so on.
Your point still has merit of course but i'd never advocate the absolute removal of self deprecation. In the context i mentioned, I'm all for possessing the quality of self deprecation.

And yes, I seem to have said self deprecation a lot just then.

Am freaky!

tumblr_lkdaoqzYEL1qbrrwmo1_500.gif

Scotsman said:
With regards self deprecation, in the context of humour self deprecation is a quality. Apart from anything else it shows humility, a lack of ego and so on.

I totally agree that in the context of humour, it is a good thing to be able to poke fun at yourself. I disagree, however, that self-deprecation shows humility or lack of ego and I would argue that it can actually be a sign of a egotistical, narcissistic personality.

Runciter said:
Scotsman said:

I totally agree that in the context of humour, it is a good thing to be able to poke fun at yourself. I disagree, however, that self-deprecation shows humility or lack of ego and I would argue that it can actually be a sign of a egotistical, narcissistic personality.

Maybe in some it shows ego and narcissistic tendencies, while in others it shows humility and a lack of ego.

Scotsman said:
Maybe in some it shows ego and narcissistic tendencies, while in others it shows humility and a lack of ego.

I can't say I see it myself but even if true, I still wouldn't encourage it as a good character trait to have. It's easily possible to have humility and a lack of ego without the negative aspects associated with self-deprecation. Again, humour not included. :p

Of course it's possible to have those traits without the self deprecating thing but we'll have to differ. I totally see it as a good character trait, in the proper context.

LonelyL said:
I’m in my mid 40s and never experienced a loving relationship which makes me a freak! How many people are there in the world who is exactly like me? Not many I bet! Most of the people in this world are married or have been married with kids but not me.. Here I am close to my middle age and still have not yet have a boyfriend

I'll hit 40 in a couple of months and I know exactly how you feel. I don't know about middle age though since you turn old at 25. After that it's all downhill.

Some people my age are starting to go through a mid-life crisis. I had my mid life crisis in my early 20's. Recently I've started having end of life crisis. For me there isn't anything left after 40 other than staring at the ceiling fan so I've been taking it hard.

blackdot said:
I'll hit 40 in a couple of months and I know exactly how you feel. I don't know about middle age though since you turn old at 25. After that it's all downhill.

Some people my age are starting to go through a mid-life crisis. I had my mid life crisis in my early 20's. Recently I've started having end of life crisis. For me there isn't anything left after 40 other than staring at the ceiling fan so I've been taking it hard.

Life started to go down hill for me at the age of 8, so I guess that means I've been old for most of my life. Or maybe people are only as old as their inner pessimist tells them they are.

That's ok, I'll just find a way to commit suicide because I can't take this anymore.. I came into this world alone, might as well die alone...

LonelyL said:
That's ok, I'll just find a way to commit suicide because I can't take this anymore.. I came into this world alone, might as well die alone...

Come on.. don't do it. :(

You're not alone. So many of us here you may be able to relate to? We can all be friends and support one another.

I'm a freak. I embrace it. I know this probably sounds lame, but you make your own happiness. Screw everyone else. Go out and do the things that make you happy.

Posted by LonelyL - 07-23-2013 08:41 PM

I'm 50. ...

I spent the last seven years of my life supporting my wife, who's now 34, while she attended medical school. ...

We had kids, I gave up my career to raise them, spent my entire life savings in the process. ...

Now that she's a doctor with a big salary, she takes the kids and leaves me flat.

Yeah, I came into the world alone and it looks like I'm going to end up alone BUT:
I intend to go fighting all the way to that end.

To quote a recent Star Trek film: "I DARE YOU TO DO BETTER...."

^ Dude, you were in your 40's and dated someone 20 years younger. That's pretty good.

Just goes to show, it is never too late...

Jerasmussen said:
I'm 50. ...

I spent the last seven years of my life supporting my wife, who's now 34, while she attended medical school. ...

We had kids, I gave up my career to raise them, spent my entire life savings in the process. ...

Now that she's a doctor with a big salary, she takes the kids and leaves me flat.
:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back