I'm hurting a lot right now

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding my post earlier and your confusion... you've made a very clear point of describing your feelings about this guy. You've called him:
arrogant wanker
horrible
prick
unlikable twat of a guy
random, loser guy
a slutty guy

Although you don't even know if she had sex with this guy, your opinion of him seems to be lowering your opinion of her. If it is, you should consider that she might actually not think he's a jerk. If it isn't, you should stop talking about that and focus on the actual issue.

Ah yes. Just when you thought you'd found someone who had values like you and potentially a friend you could trust, the bomb gets dropped and that potential goes pop. Solitary, you know I know where you're coming from with this. Seems like we're out here looking for diamonds in a rough world. Compromising is not an option. All you can do is be pleasant with her when you see her and look forward to meeting someone who will earn your trust, time, and affection as you wish to earn theirs.

nerdygirl said:
Regarding my post earlier and your confusion... you've made a very clear point of describing your feelings about this guy. You've called him:
arrogant wanker
horrible
prick
unlikable twat of a guy
random, loser guy
a slutty guy

Although you don't even know if she had sex with this guy, your opinion of him seems to be lowering your opinion of her. If it is, you should consider that she might actually not think he's a jerk. If it isn't, you should stop talking about that and focus on the actual issue.

When I first posted I was rather fired up, as you can probably imagine. I swore and got pretty hot-headed far more than I usually am when I post. So that's the reason for half of those insults. When I'm emotional I tend to be very emotional.

But I'm sorry, I guess I just frown on that kind of behaviour from another guy. I try to play by the rules to get a relationship with a girl, but in the end I would be better off just doing what that guy did, because I don't know how else to show my feelings in a legitimate manner. That's why I was/am so frustrated.

At the same time, I wouldn't feel better off for behaving like that. I'd feel cheap and abusive. It's kind of a paradox.

Are you trying to justifiably say that a guy who sleeps with three different girls in a week (pretty much a house full of them) and then boasts loudly about it is a nice guy who respects girls and doesn't treat them like sex objects? Seriously?

Because at some point, you have to classify people according to their actions. And to me, a guy who does that with anything breathes is a shallow, not-particularly-likable person who values sex more than emotions.

I'm not labelling the girl here, but to me it seems a bit ridiculous that I'm getting such a hard time for simply saying that I don't like what he does.

Ironically, it comes back to the whole disparity between "player" men and "slut" women. Shells was saying earlier how unfair that is...that's actually the root of my argument. Why are there these double standards?

People are sticking up for this guy for some reason (maybe I'm touching on a nerve here if people on the forums engage in this stuff?) as if it's okay to be a "player" for a man. Then in other threads, there are complaints that shallow, obnoxious guys are always hitting on girls to the point it annoys them.

It's two sides of the same coin, you can't have it both ways. If you want to stick up for guys that do this (sometimes to the detriment of people like me, who want to treat girls as something more than a bed-warmer), then you're encouraging values like that.

If you think that's right, fine, but when I see so many posts on this forum from girls looking for the "right" guy and complaining that men like that are hard to find, I'm starting to think I see the reason why.

Maybe she thinks he's nice, yeah, but that's because he's being fake around her. When I talk to him and he shows his true colours, he is not really a nice person at all. So what am I meant to do? Avoid insulting him at all, because he's obviously nice because someone might think he is?

To take a very extreme example to illustrate, I'm pretty sure some people thought Colonel Gaddafi was a nice guy, that doesn't mean he was.

Polar said:
That kind of made me lose sympathy for your original post. If you've been a continual part of this girl's life for the past half year you're obviously more important than a guy she shared the bed with for god knows how little minutes. Either you are focused too much on the wrong thing, which makes you no better than that guy, just less good at actually doing it. (I doubt it, but you do put much stress on the sex part as you conclude your post don't ya) Or you've got the misplaced idea that sharing a night with a guy which has got "random love toy" labeled on his forehead will make that person more dear to her than you are. (And yes I read that you do seem to have that idea in a latter post.)
Sex and love don't always go hand-in-hand. The guy which you so dearly hate is the living proof of that, why would a girl have to be any different. What's so morally repulsive about a single girl sleeping around if she feels like it? It doesn't mean she'd do the same thing if she was actually with someone. Sorry if I come over as harsh, I'd be hurting too if I liked someone like that, felt there was a connection and then found out she was sleeping around. I totally understand the way you feel. But that would still not be a reason to be disappointed in her. Man up and find out if she's interested in being more than friends, until then you can't expect a girl to put on a chastity belt because there's someone who might potentially like her. Maybe she never wanted to be more, maybe she got tired of waiting for something to happen more than just having a coffee together, both are justifiable reasons. She could still be the girl of your dreams, at least if you can look at sex in a different spotlight. That's my five cents.

Best of luck.

I'm still trying to work things out with her. I took a big step yesterday with it, that's all I'll say for now.

I don't expect a girl to "put on a chastity belt", this is the thing. I guess my irritation boils down to the fact that I feel like a gimp for acting myself (I.E. kindly) as opposed to just going to a club and hitting on random girls.

All I ever wanted from her was a hug, maybe if I was really, really lucky a kiss. I couldn't really imagine having sex with the girl. This guy got a hug, kiss and sex in 10 minutes. That's what I meant.

Maybe it's because of my emotional attitude towards sex and my high valuation of it that I feel so bad about it when stuff like this happens. I've never done the act, so I don't understand ultimately how it feels with the person you engage with.

That means I cannot really get how much of a connection they shared, you know? All I know is it's far more of a connection than I've ever had with the girl, and that kind of hurts.

I'm really not totally sure why people seem to be asking TSM to /like/ someone who has slept with, as far as a man would be mentally considered, 'his girl'. The male mind(in my experience) does not work like that, and its really more than a little weird to see that being advocated. Of course any guy is going to dislike anyone who sleeps with a girl that he was interested in...at the very least, we see him as having had someone we wanted and if there was anything we disliked about them before, by God we will exacerbate it so we can hate him.

If he was actually her ex-boyfriend, we could at least try to allay the dislike somewhat - and only somewhat, to be honest. The innate sense of competition doesn't really ever let up in my opinion, so the best that can be done is to feel that she gave him a chance and obviously he wasn't good enough.

This isn't the case, at all, though. The entire situation is basically a repudiation of everything TSM believes love and sex should be about. How else is he supposed to react but in more or less revulsion, and include its actors as well? Perhaps its not completely rational, but the hell with that.

Seriously, his essential irritation is that "I've been a nice, if admittedly shy guy who's been a good person throughout and all I hoped for was that she might see that, because I figured she was a nice girl too," only to have it thrown back to his face to feel that ******** get more from life, give out less, and don't need to give a ****. Sure, the world is unfair, but it doesn't mean we need to be happy or even accepting about it.

There /is/ a place and time for indignition.

TheSolitaryMan said:
Maybe it's because of my emotional attitude towards sex and my high valuation of it that I feel so bad about it when stuff like this happens. I've never done the act, so I don't understand ultimately how it feels with the person you engage with.

Well that explains your reaction. It is good to traditionally value sex highly. But just because it can be emotionally very bonding, doesn't mean it necessarily is. Good to hear you're doing something about it.

What a relief! I feel quite a bit better now.

I spoke to a friend of hers at length about the whole thing...so glad I did. She's a really nice girl and she kept it private, I'm impressed.

Anyway, turns out A has been seeing someone romantically for "a while" now, but never updated her FB status and she doesn't really mention it at Uni either.

This all makes a lot of sense. It was about 5 or so months ago that she was really starting to take an interest in me, then I didn't see her over the summer holidays.

I think she must have met someone then, because it would explain why she has been less keen to give me attention since this new term.

On the plus side, it means it's very possible that I was attractive to her back then and I wasn't just going crazy. In fact, I'm sure that was the case.

So hopefully I can now just be friends with the whole group and relax a little. It makes such a difference to me that it wasn't just a casual thing, it shows that perhaps my valuation of her as a person was accurate. Another blow to my "senses" would really have dragged my self-esteem down.

So that's cool. And I've left things open ended, so who knows? I'll be studying with the girl for a few more years, if she's ever single again perhaps her friend will let me know, now that she knows I like her. I'm just glad she's genuinely found someone and is happy, really.

I can take "losing out" if it's to someone else who treats her well, that's no problem at all. I don't think I can describe how much better I feel, it's like something nasty has been pulled out of my chest :p

SophiaGrace said:
it sounds strange that she is seeing someone but didn't update her status.

I thought that too.

But I'm trying not to think about it too much, it's less painful to just accept that she is either in some kind of relationship (maybe one she doesn't want her parents knowing about) and hasn't changed it for some reason or other, or she isn't interested in me and her friend is trying to spare my feelings :)

She hardly ever goes on FB anyway, so meh. She is addressing this guy as "sexy", so whatever's going on, it's not my business.

Said guy also has posts on his wall from ages ago boasting about how he has been "ruining women", but I've decided I don't want to think too much about it.

I still regret not just asking her straight to coffee. If I like another girl in future, that's what I'll do. It's not like it's a declaration of love or anything.

Thing is, I've got info now, and I trust it. I don't think this girl would lie to me. And that's enough for me :)

TheSolitaryMan said:
I still regret not just asking her straight to coffee. If I like another girl in future, that's what I'll do. It's not like it's a declaration of love or anything.

I'm glad to hear that. Don't let shyness stop you in the future - you truly have nothing to lose from being a little more daring. You're a good man.

IgnoredOne said:
TheSolitaryMan said:

I'm glad to hear that. Don't let shyness stop you in the future - you truly have nothing to lose from being a little more daring. You're a good man.

Cheers IO.

Worst case scenario would be having a long term (but informal) relationship with that "ruiner" guy. I'm just going to be the best friend I can be to her in the meantime, get to know her better if I can.

He has pics on his FB of him running around drunk and naked with his pubes showing, so if it really is her and him, I think I'm a pretty able competitor should she tire of such a shallow relationship :)

Edit - You know what, I'm going to boost my confidence for a change instead of being all humble. If she ever wants a real guy, not a portable boy's penis, I'll be there for her.

There, putting it like that, I feel better! :p

Latest posts

Back