"I'm tired of being labeled."

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VanillaCreme said:
Eternal Euphoria said:
A lot of people would be offended with 'black', 'colored or 'dark'. Some people find this the respectful approach to describing someone with dark skin. I personally say black but i don't mean any offence with it, same as i don't care when people call me the 'ginger' :p

My uncle still says "colored" and we don't know why. He's my mom's younger brother. He's almost 50, and he really holds onto old fashioned ideals. He means no harm by it, and my mom corrects him every time. But it's strange because my other uncle and my aunt don't say that like it's still said today.

I say coloured. Didn't know there was anything wrong with it. But I'm coloured, so I don't care :p

In my country you are not allowed to use any of these terms.. If you want to describe a person who is not white, you must say "A person with migration background" (Which is bullshit and even more racist, imo. Basically they are referring that at some point in their ancestors life, they moved to Europe from another continent (with another skincolor)). Normally, using the word "colored" would be correct, but that also has become a racistic term.

Any kind of homophobia will also be punished. That's one thing my country is good at, I guess. Homophobia is punishable by jail. Otherwise a 1500 € fine.

Aside from the topic, I'm slightly more yellow than most people, in summer I just turn more white. Oop.

Punisher said:
VanillaCreme said:
Eternal Euphoria said:
A lot of people would be offended with 'black', 'colored or 'dark'. Some people find this the respectful approach to describing someone with dark skin. I personally say black but i don't mean any offence with it, same as i don't care when people call me the 'ginger' :p

My uncle still says "colored" and we don't know why. He's my mom's younger brother. He's almost 50, and he really holds onto old fashioned ideals. He means no harm by it, and my mom corrects him every time. But it's strange because my other uncle and my aunt don't say that like it's still said today.

I say coloured. Didn't know there was anything wrong with it. But I'm coloured, so I don't care :p

Well, we're black, so if anyone gets offended, it's because of their own ignorance. It's just that, the term is simply archaic anymore - here at least. Perhaps it may be more common in places where it wasn't turned into a negative thing.

I don't know what to say anymore. Everything is just way too PC and most of the time you're damned if you do, damed if you don't.
So... It's just "Hey you." That's PC, isn't it?

Latest posts

Back