Interesting Facts and Useless Information Thread

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naleena

Reaction score
My long term goal is to be the Queen of useless trivia. I am a documentary lover and like hearing odd and interesting facts. I thought it might be nice to have a thread of them. I will start by sharing a few things I learned about dogs a week or so back? Please share what you learn too :)

*There are over 400 different breeds of dogs
*80% of them didn't exist 130 years ago
*Dogs can mutate in a few generatios
*They are more varied in size, shape and behavior than any other species.

Cloning (designer dogs) may account for the 80 % increase in their population.

Lyme disease was produced at Plum Island and relaeased on the US population. It is a gov't run lab w/ highly guarded perimeter. I think it is off the coast of NY but could be wrong on that part. There is also a book out about that place that deals in germ warfare.

queenwindbaby said:
... There is also a book out about that place that deals in germ warfare.

Yes Michael Carroll did write that making those claims but since i haven't read it, i can't comment on his specific claims. The fact that a book exists doesn't mean anything. There are books about Nikola Tesla inventing the flying saucer, the Illuminati controlling the world and contrails being a government action to spray the population with chemical or biological agents.

Minus said:
.....contrails being a government action to spray the population with chemical or biological agents.

That one has to be true. A pizza delivery guy told me that once....seriously.

As for triva of a useless nature:

Charlie Chaplin once won third prize in a Charlie Chaplin look alike contest.

The Guinness Book of Records holds the record for being the book most often stolen from public libraries.

Napoleon III suffered from ailurophobia, which is a fear of cats.

The king of hearts on playing cards is the only king without a moustache.

A Boeing 747's wingspan is longer than the Wright brother's first flight.

In the 1700s, European women achieved a pale complexion by eating "Arsenic Complexion Wafers," which were actually made with arsenic.

The Roman Catholic Church expressly disapproved the use of forks: "God in his wisdom has provided man with natural forks — his fingers. Therefore it is an insult to Him to substitute artificial metallic forks for them when eating." It was not until the 18th century that the fork became commonly used in Great Britain.

queenqindbaby said:
Lyme disease was produced at Plum Island and relaeased on the US population. It is a gov't run lab w/ highly guarded perimeter. I think it is off the coast of NY but could be wrong on that part. There is also a book out about that place that deals in germ warfare.

Plum Island is an animal disease laboratory operating under the authority of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. They study mad cow and other animal diseases and find ways to keep those from spreading throughout U.S. farms/herds in order to protect American livestock and food sources.

The rest is just crazy rumors.

Does anyone know when humans discovered out we had a pulse? Or when they discovered how to read it?

Tony Burrows was a "One Hit Wonder" in fact he seems to hold the record by being a "One Hit Wonder" having been one five times. He also holds the record for having for having four records in the British Top Ten at once.

That would seem to mean that everyone would know the name Tony Burrows.

Okay, how can you be a "One Hit Wonder" five times, much less remain pretty unknown.

"The British session vocalist sang Edison Lighthouse's "Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)," White Plains' "My Baby Loves Lovin'," the Pipkins' ridiculous "Gimme Dat Ding," and the Brotherhood of Man's "United We Stand," all of which were big hits in both the U.S. and U.K. in 1970. With his high range and pleasantly anonymous yet versatile pipes, Burrows was an ideal tool for songwriters looking to craft bubblegum or light pop/rock for the AM airwaves -- they were looking for hit songs, not for hit artists, and what did it matter to most consumers that the "groups" didn't really exist?"

The fifth "Hit" was in 1974, as the singer for studio band First Class' No. 4 hit, the Beach Boys tribute 'Beach Baby.'

"In Britain, the beloved BBC TV music countdown show 'Top of the Pops' would weekly feature a performance (usually lip-synced) of several of the bands currently inhabiting the Top 20 U.K. singles chart. On a February 1970 edition of the program, three of the hit groups invited to mime along to their current smash were Brotherhood of Man ('United We Stand'), White Plains ('My Baby Loves Loving') and Edison Lighthouse ('Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes'). When Brotherhood of Man were announced, out came Tony Burrows to sing the hit song. After completion, he strolled offstage to make room for another act, White Plains -- who just happened to be represented by Burrows, who once again took his place in front of the microphone. At the show's conclusion, when the No. 1 hit was finally announced, chart-toppers Edison Lighthouse were invited up to perform -- and, yes, it was Tony Burrows once more.

The show's producers were aghast, and after wiping the egg off their faces, reportedly unofficially banned the three-timing Burrows from 'Top of the Pops' out of sheer embarrassment. "

9IEX8.gif

[youtube]UnURElCzGc0[/youtube]

carlsaganexistence.jpg

5210f6dc_1939_fd1d_35_life_hacks-s755x4367-89397.jpg

tumblr_ld971msgxr1qzgkoco1_500.jpg

twitter.jpg

A dentist invented the electric chair.

No surprise there. My dentist must be a decendant.

Latest posts

Back