IQ and loneliness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IgnoredOne said:
floffyschneeman said:
...(hehe) intelligence is a good thing, I can't see why it causes people loneliness. If embraced with a humble heart, intelligence can be more than a self isolation cell, rather than a light for everyone. and lol, I sound so creepy, but I am sure you get my point. :)

Except that it, frankly, does. It might be partly on the cause of the operator, but being vastly different, on the outliers of intelligence at either the top or the low spectrum will make you have fewer people that you can associate with well.

Consider even language, for example - while I can certainly change the way I speak, its far more comfortable for me to talk in a way where I feel I accurately express my thoughts even if they have to use more complicated parsing and phrasing. Unfortunately, for a lot of people, they feel that I use 'big words'.

Its even worse conceptually at times, when the things that I care about may not mean a lot to others; talking about slight improvements to cognition vastly fascinates me, as does what exactly makes the brain tick. Again, not something that I can talk to a lot of other people about and have it matter that much. Presenting articles and studies are even worse, and actively bore most people.

On the other hand, if you talk about alcohol and drugs, you'll have a far more common topic than I do. I intellectually realize this, and lampoon it :p

Nah I don't think that's intelligence, getting with you mingling with people. But more like, being unable to get along with people in away that each of you will feel casual and friendly. Cos I do think there are some people gifted with how well they interact with different groups which is mostly associated with having the sensitivity or the empathy to know the group or person they are talking to and finding a common ground then can easily talk about. Like language, sure you are comfortable with talking in your native tongue rather than some other languages you may or may not know but then if you talk to someone who cant understand your language, then that would be funny. Another example would also be talking a person who doesn't know english that well, although you can still communicate, using big words in english will make your communication a bit longer ^^

Cos I do think it's more of how creative you are at expressing yourself while still having that person understand you that makes a good communicator. one thought can be expressed in more ways than one. Like for example, saying ''I asked you a question'' same with '' I made a query directed at you'' one is more common and the other was more common (hehe) but still the same clear thought expressed on two different sentences. Because communication is not only about how comfortable you are at using a particular way of communicating but also having the kindness to try to connect to the person you are talking to in a way that both of you will feel comfortable. If not, then why bother talking ^^

The more flexible a person can become, and his willingness to get to know the group of person he is talking to can open ways to having more friendship and acquaintance. And that flexibility can also be considered as intelligence, as well.

Same goes with choosing a topic. If you are in a group, and you choose a topic that only one person could relate to, then why be talk in a group? Of course, everyone can relate to having something you are enthusiastic about and wanting to talk about it all the time, but no one to talk to that's because we have different interests. Even I get sad that I can't talk to my friends about the crafts I want to do, but I also know my friend D, feels the same cos we can't relate talking about the books she likes, well only her have the more disposable income to buy books anyway. What we do talk about though, are the things we like both, like movies. My friend J is the least of my friends who'd get interested in arts and crafts (those are the things I talk to with L) but J and I can talk about how filipino mindset is affecting the growth of our nation and how a particular network here manipulates people.

Knowing more increase your chance at finding common grounds to talk to different kinds of people. But having the humbleness to listen to other people with different interests rather than talking more about what you find are interesting is the kind of intelligence that most intellectual people lack. It's also more of not always thinking that the things I find interesting are better than the things you find interesting, therefore I will talk about this whether you can relate or not. Now that mindset is what makes intellectual people feel isolated from others. It's not the intelligence, but rather the pride from being intelligent.

floffyschneeman said:
The more flexible a person can become, and his willingness to get to know the group of person he is talking to can open ways to having more friendship and acquaintance. And that flexibility can also be considered as intelligence, as well.

An intelligence, yes. Its called social intelligence.

And no, while most people do have something to contribute, eventually you meet people who really have almost nothing worthwhile to contribute to one's knowledge. Its a pity, but it is possible to reach that limit after being eager enough to listen - you run into people who will repeat utterly daft things, the same utterly daft things that you've heard three or four times before(or worse, three or four dozen times before).

Whereupon you can choose to respond from one of a set patterns, or you can decide that they are pretty mindnumbingly dull, make some interested noises, and then go look for someone who can actually relate to.

IgnoredOne said:
floffyschneeman said:

An intelligence, yes. Its called social intelligence.

And no, while most people do have something to contribute, eventually you meet people who really have almost nothing worthwhile to contribute to one's knowledge. Its a pity, but it is possible to reach that limit after being eager enough to listen - you run into people who will repeat utterly daft things, the same utterly daft things that you've heard three or four times before(or worse, three or four dozen times before).

Whereupon you can choose to respond from one of a set patterns, or you can decide that they are pretty mindnumbingly dull, make some interested noises, and then go look for someone who can actually relate to.

Yes, I agree. but surely you'd be able to meet like minded people as you. Still, I don't think it's a direct cause to being lonely and depressed

I don't care what you say, and I refuse to listen to any sane arguments when it comes to this. I want to believe that it's all because of my exceptional intelligence. :D

Kataphractos said:

Using drugs is just wrong becose it encourages narcotrafic. Anyone who is smart and cares for other peoples well being will not use them... (plus it's quite self destructive to put a substance in your body which has uncertain origins and could harm you)

Seriously, I think is not that we're inteligent, is more like we are diferent personalities and/or have had traumatic experiences which keep us from having a fully satisfying social life.

Maybe we lack social skills but I think us the introverted ones are more creative and sensitive.

Only a little crazy can change the world.

That's my theory anyway.

I think anti-social or socially akward people (e.g. people with an unease of life, loners, depressive, etc.) have a greater propensity towards intospection and self-reflection. While not necessarily a bad thing, it leads to question the surrounding world. Necessarily, trying to change things of it. Which led to some of the greatest discoveries of all time.
Which is why I'll probably never marvel in front of someone with 3 PHd's that flaunts his knowledge, but will assuredly stand in awe of the common man with the keen wit. One tries to cultivate arrogance he mistakes for knowledge, the other wisdom he mistakes for ignorance.

Just thoughts for a response

Since the day we are brought into the world we are given preconceptions and ideologies of life that are not our own.
Some examples of these are religion, culture, good and evil, health, wealth, family.
Intelligent people seek truth and begin to see their reality more clearly.
Conflicts form in minds from the ideas that are told and the truth that is seen.
Faith and belief begins to be lost. As does what gives joy to life.

The screwed up part - No one knows truth. No one really knows anything.
You can perform as much research on anything you want and you still won't get to the definitive.
The example of this is Which way is really up, which way is down?
We give things words, descriptions, meanings, etc. to make our own sense, to do things, to find joy and seek out  fulfilment and pleasure.

Earlier I asked a question to two men with the combined age of 142 years old.
The question was 'Now that you have reached this age, can you tell me how did you decide whats important in your life?'.
Their reply was health, wealth, witty and wise.
So maybe intelligence and loneliness is too much focus in a single importance.
I know that I have done this.
When you decide what you want in life... it can be next to impossible to want to change.

Offcourse it does. The world is full of intellectuals and lonely people. IQ should be called Intellectual Quotient in my opinion, it doesn't describe your intelligence, only your intellectuality.

Latest posts

Back