Is Christmas The Loneliest Time Of Year?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love Christmas! I get to see my sister and other relatives, I love Christmas food (Finnish of course) and the silence, peace, Christmas tree lights, candles, darkness, the spirit. I just love it. The traditional Christmas every year. :)

I love Christmas cos it's usually cold and cozy, full of lights at night and people tend to be generally nicer. I also get to see my family which doesn't happen often. It's also a time for reflection of one's self and life and of course... eating left over ham on Christmas day is awesome :D

i hate the new year, all the noise and fuss. I usually go to bed well before midnight.

Truthfully, I always felt Thanksgiving is the loneliest time of the year. Sure on Xmas, the emphasis is on gifts and being together with the family, and all that good mumbo jumbo, but Thanksgiving is worse. Usually on Xmas and New Years, you can at least distract yourself. Invite yourself to eat, go out and "window shop" or find something entertaining, but you can never escape loneliness on Thanksgiving because everything is closed, nobody is outside and there's nothing to do but to stay indoors, alone.

Thanksgiving hits harder than Xmas because the emphasis is on coming together with your loved ones and enjoying yourself being thankful for all the "good things you have". Everyday after that is numb because lately there's no real emphasis on the "real" meaning of Xmas and New Years as there was before. Xmas is a hard one but if you treat yourself to something nice, then there's no problem. That's my opinion anyway. I just hate the holiday season. It's a depressing time when you know no one gives a **** about your existence.

OnlyMe said:
For me weekends are generally when I feel the loneliest as it is the time when most people are out and about.

Although I think any 'special occasion' can lose some of it's appeal when you are on your own - Birthdays would probably top this list.

I don't find Christmas any more lonely but on the upside I love the amazing Christmas lights and decorations displays that you see people put on and around their houses (think Clark Griswold)
Birthdays are a good excuse to take a random day off of work. Otherwise I could care less for mine. Only thing to celebrate is being one year closer to death.

-_-... I hate giftmas decorations as well... they make it hard to sleep at night.

duff said:
i hate the new year, all the noise and fuss. I usually go to bed well before midnight.
You and I both friend. Well I used to anyway.. now that my sisters live in different time zones. I get calls and texts up until midnight.

Latest posts

Back