Is Diet Pop(Cola Specifically) Really That Bad For You?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneKiller

Reaction score
I drink around 5-6 cans of diet cola a day. Is it really that harmful to the body. I could have "Googled" this, but many of the articles can be difficult to understand due to medical terminology. I was just wondering if anyone here has any input on the subject in a way I can understand without looking honeysuckle up.

Godspeed.
LK

Aspertame is basically rat poison. Yes, it is bad for you.

Regular soda is less harmful, but you shouldn't drink too much of that, either. Both cause cancer and are unhealthy.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Aspertame is basically rat poison. Yes, it is bad for you.

Regular soda is less harmful, but you shouldn't drink too much of that, either. Both cause cancer and are unhealthy.

What doesn't cause cancer these days? We're constantly being bombarded with media health scares now that it's hard to see just what is healthy.

But I like to think that anything that isn't natural is unhealthy.

Even water can be bad for you.

I have a cousin who is very mentally ill. He starved himself one time when we left for vacation for a week, and drank lots and lots of water (like 20 gallons of the stuff)...then called 911 when he almost killed himself doing it. It is quite possible to have water poisoning.

But as far as diet soda goes, I can't drink it. Aspertame, the first type of artificial sweetener, gives me tinnitus, and Splenda, the second type of artificial sweetener, gives me massive headaches AND tinnitus. Both cause my bowels to go crazy, so I have to go to the bathroom every 5 seconds.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Even water can be bad for you.

I have a cousin who is very mentally ill. He starved himself one time when we left for vacation for a week, and drank lots and lots of water (like 20 gallons of the stuff)...then called 911 when he almost killed himself doing it. It is quite possible to have water poisoning.

But as far as diet soda goes, I can't drink it. Aspertame, the first type of artificial sweetener, gives me tinnitus, and Splenda, the second type of artificial sweetener, gives me massive headaches AND tinnitus. Both cause my bowels to go crazy, so I have to go to the bathroom every 5 seconds.
That's definite motivation to avoid it. You aren't missing anything man. I think that it's starting to fresia my system up. Especially in urinary issues.

Since aspartame was already mentioned ill just add 2 more things

1. It eats away at your tooth enamel (but so does other things of course)
2. That much soda can lead up to bone density, basically brittle bones with holes in them because of all the shits that's in soda period

IMO soda is just another thing enjoyed by people. We're all going to consume things that aren't healthy for us. We're all going to die regardless if we live a healthy lifestyle or not. So just enjoy your soda and keep your teeth clean

Well said, Oddly.

I drink regular soda, even though I know it's not good for me. If it's in moderation, what's the harm?

I think it's bad for you. Full of chemicals, yuck... But can't help it, it's good. :) I agree. >_<

coca cola has phosphoric acid that eats away your magnesium and calcium. The consequences are: loss of bone mass (ostheoporosis, when your bones get crushed at the smallest blow), loss of enamel and ultimately loss of teeth. Reduction of sperm count is another consequence.
The same acid makes the stomach much more acid, increasing the chances for stomach and esophagus cancer.
If you take the normal one, it means cups of sugar every day, which brings problems with sleeping, anxiety, mood disorders, personality and mental disorders (they did experiments in hospital taking away sugar from mental patients, half of them, even serious ones, healed perfectly in a matter of months), impotence,
It you take the diet one, it contains high doses of acesulphame, that is famously related to cancer and sometimes sudden death,
together with autoimmune diseases and disorders of the central nervous system.
It contains many addictives, the numbers at the end like E150, to give it the brown color, and that also is directly related to cancer.
If you take a blood test and they tell you that you are low in calcium and magnesium, or vitamin D, it's a sign that something bad is going to happen soon, and that all thanks to coca cola. I know this because I was also addicted, and sometimes I still fall into the trap again, it's like smoking, only worse. Honestly, nicotine is healthier.

PS: sorry to ruin the party for everybody!

Peaches said:
PS: sorry to ruin the party for everybody!

I've read something a while back that explained exactly what was in it, I can't remember fully but there was some of the things you described above.

Despite knowing and reading this I don't really care, I'll still drink the honeysuckle. I love it.

Haha

I "Googled" to see if flavored water is better for you healthwise than diet soda. Some said no because it often contains the same if not more sugar than pop. Some water also contains artificial sweeteners. What I'm curious about is if the lack of carbonation in the water really has much of an impact on your body.

Maybe the carbonation in pop is hard on your gut for obvious reasons. The reason I'm not considering real water is because in the past I've tried that and the lack of flavor was so unsatisfying I went back to pop.

Have any of you got any input from your experience on this aspect?

Thanks for viewing.
LK

The synthetic sugar they put in diet soda is way worse for you than actual sugar.

Hi People.

Gave up pop and artificial sweetener altogether. I now drink juice and use regular sugar in my coffee. Hopefully, this will help me start feeling better. With all of the info I got from you all and other sites on the net, I was shocked at just how horrendous artificial sweetener and pop is on my system. My problem is, I have an addictive personality and was slamming pop down like there was no tomorrow. I do hope to see some improvement in the near future.

There is a lot of bad honeysuckle in soda to begin with, but a lot of the bad things you hear about aspartame in particular aren't valid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy

At the very least don't look at an internet forum for advice on the health effects of soda drinking. That said, while aspartame itself may not be the evil boogeyman a lot of people make it out to be, overuse of any type of sweetener (natural, artificial, sugar or faux sugar) isn't good for your pancreas.

Honestly it doesn't bother me at all to just drink water all the time and only once in a while drink something different. Nothing quenches my thirst like the good old h2o. I don't get those people that have to drink stuff with some sort of flavour every time... or those who give me a weird look as they point out the fact that I drink water all the time as if that was an anomaly. We were drinking it for millions of years, in perspective the post industrial beverages are the odd choice. Plus it does have taste. It tastes like purity, life and freshness. Yep. Water is the best :p I wish they don't spoil that too :(

I feel better when I don't drink soda. I love cranberry juice and water, and I honestly much prefer them.

Latest posts

Back