Is social anxiety hereditary?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euphoria

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Do you think social anxiety is hereditary, a result of genetics?

It does seem to run in my family. My mom has a long history of social phobia and panic attacks (she's been taking lorazepam for over 35 years), her mother had it, as well as her brother and sister.

My father is the complete opposite, he's a people person. He can walk up to a total stranger and within one minute they'll talk as if they've known each other for years. It still amazes me every time.

Anyway, I'm curious how it's like in your situation, and your thoughts on the subject.

My social anxiety is the result of things that have happened to me, not hereditary. As far as I know, no one else in my family has it.

I guess it is hereditary for some. I don't know if its something that people are born with, but it is possible to be more prone to it because of genetics.

Locke said:
My social anxiety is the result of things that have happened to me, not hereditary. As far as I know, no one else in my family has it.

I guess it is hereditary for some. I don't know if its something that people are born with, but it is possible to be more prone to it because of genetics.
Same with me, my social anxiety was caused by childhood experiences with other people my age, which were almost always negative. I don't have any known family members with social anxiety either. I'm sure it can also be hereditary like physical traits too though.

I am starting to believe that anxiety is an instinct, while there are different types and can be diagnosed as a disorder... my psychiatrist & therapist have both explained it as an ancient survival instinct AND I found this to explain if it helps, just in case

"Anxiety is a survival instinct that has evolved over millions of years in order to protect us. It is a series of reflexes and responses that affect our mind and body as we become pepared to avoid or deal with dangerous situations..."

More reads:
http://www.help-for.com/anxiety.htm

It's not hereditary. Fear and anxiety are just an emotion that every human being posseses, as ucxb pointed out.

People aren't born with excessive anxiety either. It has to do with the upbringing and the experiences one has, especially in their childhood. If one or both parents are already failing to get over anxiety, that will be projected on their offspring as well.

as said above. no way it's hereditary. it's learned and trained.
just like how my dad has a fear of heights. and for most of my life I thought that I did too..
he basically made us all feel like we shared his fear unintentionally.
until I started pushing my boundaries and testing my ability to overcome it. and then I came to understand that I wasn't afraid of heights.. but actually quite the opposite!
I have no fear of heights what so ever, and even worked for a time as a swing stage glazier changing widows in sky scrapers and loved it.

Maybe the flavor of anxiety isn't hereditary, but neuroticism seems to be. (Which is at least partly genetic)

"
Neuroticism is a fundamental personality trait in the study of psychology characterized by anxiety, moodiness, worry, envy and jealousy.[1] Individuals who score high on neuroticism are more likely than the average to experience such feelings as anxiety, anger, envy, guilt, and depressed mood.[2]
"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroticism

What I know can be hereditary is a sensitive temper, that makes one more exposed to social phobia, panic attacks etc. That doesn't need to end up in neuroticism, it means only being born with a particular nervous system, and it seems that one person in eight or ten is born like that
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highly_sensitive_person

Also, if no one in the family has any social skills, it is unlikely that a child is going to learn how to be outgoing and relate successfully with others.

So, I think mental illness is hereditary in the sense that there are some physical pre conditions that are inherited, and some other "encouragement" towards mental illness is learned when one is growing up.

I think we inherit mental illness and I think perhaps when environmental issues factor in, like getting teased or abused, it can make us more vulnerable to suffering from something like social anxiety if it's a common thing in the family to have anxiety, depression, etc.

I come from a whole line of high-strung people, I was also bullied a lot when growing up. So it's both nature and nurture in my case.

Peaches said:
What I know can be hereditary is a sensitive temper, that makes one more exposed to social phobia, panic attacks etc. That doesn't need to end up in neuroticism, it means only being born with a particular nervous system, and it seems that one person in eight or ten is born like that
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highly_sensitive_person

Also, if no one in the family has any social skills, it is unlikely that a child is going to learn how to be outgoing and relate successfully with others.

So, I think mental illness is hereditary in the sense that there are some physical pre conditions that are inherited, and some other "encouragement" towards mental illness is learned when one is growing up.

Apparently it may be a mixture of both:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0021842

Let me know if you cannot read/understand the paper. I will gladly explain it. (or if the link doesn't work for you!)

There is an additional paper that reviews research from several different sources and has the conjecture that inheritance of social behaviors may be non-genetic/evolutionary byproducts: Beyond DNA: integrating inclusive inheritance into an extended theory of evolution.

I think it's learned. I grew up with an anxious mother, my mother did with hers, and my grandmother was raised by HER grandmother who kept her in all the time and was terrified of anyone coming to the house. I have a lot of history to shake off.

It can be hereditary but not in my case.A lot of people in my family have social problems but I wasn't born with anxiety.There are certain.. events that caused it.On the other hand, a friend of mine was always like this and his mom has social anxiety..

I seem to think it is, my maternal grand parents and mother and uncle are quite solitary and my father's side very untrusting and cynical. I never had much socialization growing up although my mother says she tried but I always remember her making me feel awkward and sabotaging/making things difficult than anything else socially speaking.

I have never really fitted in and although a lot of that could just be me, I can't help but feel some of it is due to my upbringing/genetics as well.

Latest posts

Back