Is this also a healthy behavior ?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kindster

Reaction score
I love to workout and friends are telling me that it is going to make me look like a hulk and thats "disgusting". So last months whenever i feel like not going to gym i remember their words and i get that spite feeling and words in my mind "YOU WILL GO YOU MUST GO YOU MUST PROVE THEM WRONG".
So i feel like i have one more reason to go to gym by wanting to prove them wrong? So is my behavior and thoughts normal nothing bad at all?

Going consistently to the Gym is hard, there is a million and one reasons you can run through your mind not to bother. Anything you can use to get yourself up for it is a good thing. Whatever you are trying to achieve is entirely up to you too, they are probably just seeing the results and getting a bit jealous so giving you some stick!

Nothing wrong with proving people wrong. Do some research and you'll find out that it won't actually give you masculine msucles; that requires testerone which I doubt you're artificially ingesting into your system. You'll just tone.

to each their own.. i always say.
sure... not everyone is attracted to muscle. but i bet there are probably as many people that like it as there is that dont.
i doubt you will find many people that say its not good for you though lol
also its different for males and females.
every guy likes a nice body but i think a small percent if guys actualy want to see muscle deffinition on a lady. (imo at least)
but i bet a higher percent of girls like to see a six pack on a guy. ( on his abs.. not in his hand)

Well, for what it is worth, its extremely unlikely she'll get manlike muscles persay - the most that could happen is that she will /feel/ very toned, with solid muscles to arms and legs and very little softness.

To get like the Hulk you'd need to do some serious steroids, be working out for years, have the proper nutrition, etc... a lot of weight lifters have a regime where they get up in the night every two hours to eat another chicken breast, to get the most muscle growth. So don't worry!

Others mentioned some ace advice here. It's such a HUGE misconception that you'll "hullk-like" from lifting.

The only people that you see like that have the aid hormones (which often have nasty side-effects, in most cases, there are exceptions for those that use it as therapy for health conditions). Women who use said hormones are easy to spot as they get very masculine-like features along with such muscle-mass.

MORE people should lift weights -- ESPECIALLY women. Women's bone density rapidly begins to deteriorate within their early 30's. Things like pregnancy and menopause are especially unforgiving to the bones. For men, I believe it is about the 40's mark. Thus, lifting weights = decreasing the possibility of early onset of osteoporosis. In addition, women who are scared to lift because they think they will get monstrously big are also gravely mistaken. Although women produce testosterone, they don't produce nearly as much as men. If anything, women will tone, get leaner, and look younger for it.

Another perk of having more muscle mass is that your body will burn more calories, even while the body is at rest (as opposed to only doing cardio - you will only burn as much as you expend in that duration, to put it simply). This is good news for food-lovers, as you will need to eat more (of the good stuff - not junk food/crap) to build and maintain muscle.

Working out is a great outlet. You'll reduce stress, increase longevity, build a stronger immunity, etc. And, you'll get the benefits of looking awesome in the long run (coupled with a structured eating lifestyle, of course), which will in turn, boost your self-esteem :cool:

Anyone who says working out will make you look "disgusting" needs a reality check.

In contrast, it is wise to thoroughly research how long you should be exercising, how many "weight"days and "cardio" days you should have in your exercise regime, have adequate nutrition (macro-nutrient intake) to match your expenditure etc. Balance is key. Rest and recovery is important. Otherwise you will do more harm than good to your body.

I agree with Kamya. It sounds like they are jealous and are trying to sabotage your efforts at getting your body where you want it to be. Actually, you just sparked an idea for another thread so thank you for that.

kindster said:
I love to workout and friends are telling me that it is going to make me look like a hulk and thats "disgusting". So last months whenever i feel like not going to gym i remember their words and i get that spite feeling and words in my mind "YOU WILL GO YOU MUST GO YOU MUST PROVE THEM WRONG".
So i feel like i have one more reason to go to gym by wanting to prove them wrong? So is my behavior and thoughts normal nothing bad at all?

It's not healthy. Lemme tell you why.

Self-discipline and motivation is healthy, need to "prove" something is actually not. Exercise should be done for one reason, and one reason only, to avoid health problems. "No pain, no gain" is a useless philosophy, because pain is an actual trigger that something is wrong. Lifting 300+ lb and not doing it for a job or to help someone out (stuck under something, for example) is kinda pointless.

What do we have to prove to other people, that can actually be proved? Some children spend their entire lives hoping to please their dad, only to realize at the end he was a jerk who would never be pleased. And let's say you go to some restaurant and they are like "I know you can't eat this 89oz steak"? You really need to prove it can be done? Or you can just accept "pushing too hard will hurt me later." If you're out of shape, simply do it because you need to do it, not because you're trying to "prove it." You'll get proven false, or right, but it any case, you'll never be satisfied.

If you're scared of becoming monstrous, do this instead. Light repetitions. Lifting 2100 lb and lifting 30 lb 70 times is the same weight, but instead of getting bulky muscles, you get lean muscle that increases speed and flexibility. This speeds up your body, without making you bulk up (bulking up is a trap anyway, because yea, you need to eat more).

Unless you're a nutritionist, the odds are you're screw up your body anyway. So no sense making you hungrier, lean muscle is the way to go.

Latest posts

Back