I've discovered what's missing from my life...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Satyr

SEA MONKEYS!!!!

After careful scrutiny I've decided that there simply aren't enough brine shrimp in my life. Money? no thanks... Women? why bother... Tiny aquatic life forms? YEAH BABY!!!!

The only thing is, I can't decide on which set.

There's the Magic Castle...
discoverthis_2029_71450

Or the Sea Monkeys on Mars...
discoverthis_2028_9969932

Or the Executive Set, for the discriminating businessman...
discoverthis_2028_52547164

There are also "Triops", a distant cousin to the Sea Monkey (twice removed)...
triassic.jpg

Opinions? Any Sea Monkey experts here? This is an incredibly important decision that requires great care and planning.

The way my mind works I'd find a way to merge the Magic Castle and the Mars sets so they can travel from one world to the other. LoL

But if I had to choose just one it would be the Mars set.

I would think the Executive Set. Quite likely that is my own bias. I raised brine shrimp as shrimp, long before i had ever heard of sea monkeys or had any idea what sea monkeys were. Much of the time they are very small and quite hard to see. The colorful clutter in the Mars and Magic Castle may possibly make viewing your critters more difficult. The Executive Set doesn't have that. Also just based on the picture the Executive Set seems to come with a magnifying glass and it looks like it has two more built into the container.

If colourful pretties are missing in your life, go for the Mars or Magic Castle, but if it is sea monkeys that are missing then go for the Executive Set .

I've narrowed it down to either the "Mars" set or the Triops.

The triops are kind of interesting in their own right. Also known as "tadpole shrimp" they look like tiny relatives of the horseshoe crab. They are often referred to as "living fossils" because they haven't really evolved much in 70 million years.

This little guy is Triops Longicaudatus...
Triops_longicaudatus.jpg

and please welcome Triops Cancriformis...
Triops_cancriformis2.jpg

I think they're cute...in an "OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!" kind of way.

The Triops are much cuter but that would mean that it isn't really the sea-monkeys that are missing from your life.

If you are open to other water critters

Axolotl

or5noj.jpg

Yeti Crab

5b2qfq.jpg

Blobfish

f_aBlobfishm_b2e17bc.jpg

Dumbo Octopus

f_aDumboOctopm_f921d9f.jpg

Hagfish

2a612xx.jpg

Blobfish? For real? That's awesome.

And I could somehow see that Dumbo Octopus critter getting me chicks like a dog can...except first I'd have to get them to come in to my apartment. Unless...hmmm...I -could- carry it in a plastic bag of water... :O

Erm. Back on topic. I vote for the Mars Set.

Minus said:
The Triops are much cuter but that would mean that it isn't really the sea-monkeys that are missing from your life.

I could get both and do what LonelyDragon suggested by merging the two tanks. I could have one central chamber in the center. Once a week the Sea Monkeys and Triops could hold a one-on-one steel cage match in the center...kind of like a tiny underwater Thunderdome.

200px-

Two shrimp enter, one shrimp leaves!

just an idea...

Minus said:

Now that's a happy Axolotl...

All those are great suggestions...and Unacceptance, a hermit crab would be nice as well.

The thing about the sea monkeys and the triops though is that neither requires a full fledged aquarium. I'm trying to do this on the cheap and lazy. :)

Satyr said:
Once a week the Sea Monkeys and Triops could hold a one-on-one steel cage match in the center...

Sounds like the tank would be getting more complicated but it may be worth it to see a Sea Monkey Masterblaster.

f_masterblastm_9ab769c.jpg

Just a small afterword here regarding my adventures with the briney ones.

Recently I purchased a tank of these little aquatic wonders and proceeded to follow the instructions closely, regarding purifying the tank water, hatching the eggs and feeding them.

In my scientific opinion, sea monkeys are not smart. Out of twenty hatched I now have approximately four. It seems they know one trick and that's how to die and become decorative little corpses. Any life form that immediately dies after you feed it is an idiot. I mean come on...bacteria can figure that honeysuckle out.

I had hoped to ease the burden of paying bills and grocery shopping to a few of these creatures, but I now realize they can not be trusted to do even the simplest of tasks. Also, they do not wear crowns, sit on thrones or construct any kind of "undersea kingdom" as depicted in advertisements.

This concludes my evaluation. Thank you for your time.

Can they be stuffed?

samba101 said:
What are sea monkeys we don't have them over here in Australia or New Zealand?

A type of brine shrimp

Minus said:
Can they be stuffed?

Maybe. I could mount them on the wall but no one would notice they were there.

"Right there! no THERE!" :/

I do still have the fab four. If they live another 3 days I'm naming them John, Paul, George and Ringo.

Latest posts

Back