I've got a bad feeling about this...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurinTurambar

Reaction score
Little reference for ya :D... anyway I just finished with classes for the spring and have a long summer ahead of me. Although I definitely look forward to laying around and doing nothing, that will get old in 0.2 seconds. My only friend has basically gone MIA, so here I am with noone to hang out with for 3 months. Basically I've had one friend for the past 2 years and now he's gone. (I can't say I liked him all that much anyway). I desperately need to fill this gap in my life.

When I walk around I think I walk pretty confident. I talk pretty well, although I have a slight lisp. I dress nicely and cleanly. I don't delve into personal subjects like politics and religion off the bat. And I go to a major state school with ~40,000 students. But I will be a monkey's uncle if I could ever get a friend. I don't know what to do.

honeysuckle could a mod move this to the general Loneliness forum, I had multiple tabs open, sorry

I think if any of us had a magic answer for how to make friends, we'd be rich (and probably not frequenting a place for lonely people unless touting for customers) although if anyone would like to make their grand announcement, I'm listening...

In the meantime, all I can suggest are the basics -

try and find groups or activities that you enjoy and make you interact with people that also like them. A shared interest gives you a place to start a conversation and sometimes things go from there.

talk to family, see if any of them can introduce you to people they think you'd get on with or, at least, let you hang out with them

and then there's here. There's lot of people here. Check out the threads on where people live and see if anyone's near you (if you require actual physical contact). Or just chat here - there's the chat room or pms and threads depending upon your mood. Sometimes just knowing that you've people you can talk to can help.

Good luck.

I think I'm Fine has covered all the bases here - I really need to follow this advice myself :)

The only thing I would add is that you say you've had a friend for the past couple of years. How did you meet and become friends with him ? Is it something you could do again ?

Fine: I will try to branch out and join clubs and activities. It's hard though when joining a new group because theres already a hierarchy established and you usually have to start at the bottom. I have a few family friends but they live far away and also I can't say I like them too much. My parents are in their 50's and my brother is in med school and most of his friends are in med school, it seems pretty exclusive. I will check out the local threads though. Thanks man I appreciate the advice, and I'll try to stick with it.

Firefly: My friend I just lost was actually my brother's best friend all throughout school, but my bro left for med school so they drifted. Like 2 years after I had a huge police matter, this friend called me up and wanted to hang out. He's pretty much the only one who has bothered to have contact with me. All my friends from high school dropped me like a bad habit after what happened to me.

But on another level, these high school people were never really my friends to begin with. They rarely asked to hang out and when they did they always derided me. That's why I really hoped to branch out in college, but not much luck. I've made a few acquaintances, and even one guy called me up and asked to hang out so I'll try to follow up on that.

Latest posts

Back