I've Picked Up My Brushes Again

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lonely in BC said:
T.D.

Your painting reminds me of the exterior wall of my neighbors house next door. The wall has a unique old world look to it and they have been much amused by my asking them to not paint over it. I hope to finish my front patio area this summer and their wall is the perfect backdrop for the ambience I'm trying to create.

Thanks for helping to inspire my vision- you're quite talented.

Thank you. I'm glad that I could help inspire you. :)

My neighbors' side door into their basement is also nicely weathered and run down. I keep meaning to take a photo of it for future use in a painting.

Badjedidude said:
Nice stuff, CTF! :)

Thanks, BJD. :D

This is impressive. :) I have always destroyed my artistic creations because I didn't like them. Now I finally understand that it wasn't irrational to do so. (I suspected my lack of artistic ability earlier, but now that I think about it, it's pretty clear). You clearly have a talent and you should be happy about that.

Certainly, you generally still need skills and training to be able to manifest your talent in a tangible piece of art, but you've covered that part already. There's definitely plenty of skill in your paintings. Keep up the great work!

Okiedokes said:
That is quite amazing!!

Thank you!

Varifold said:
This is impressive. :) I have always destroyed my artistic creations because I didn't like them. Now I finally understand that it wasn't irrational to do so. (I suspected my lack of artistic ability earlier, but now that I think about it, it's pretty clear). You clearly have a talent and you should be happy about that.

Certainly, you generally still need skills and training to be able to manifest your talent in a tangible piece of art, but you've covered that part already. There's definitely plenty of skill in your paintings. Keep up the great work!

I've always felt that innate talent is the smallest variable in the equation. The most important factor is the desire to create art; the next critical variable is practice. My innate talent isn't as strong as others' I've seen, but I've always wanted very badly to paint, sculpt and draw well, so I've been motivated to practice even when I hate the results.

The Bad Art Bonfire is a useful thing. lol Also, re-purposing bad art is a good exercise. Old watercolors get torn into scraps for collages; failed oil paintings get gessoed over so I can re-use the canvas. Crappy sculptures get smashed. It's good to keep some bad art around though as a reminder of how far I've come. :)

The other thing is that I do it not just to paint pretty pictures, but that I also enjoy the act of creating art as a means to express myself. The major bonus is that it is therapeutic as well.

The painting is gorgeous! The way these things are I bet it looks even better in person. I'd love to see more.

tangerinedream said:
I've always felt that innate talent is the smallest variable in the equation. The most important factor is the desire to create art; the next critical variable is practice. My innate talent isn't as strong as others' I've seen, but I've always wanted very badly to paint, sculpt and draw well, so I've been motivated to practice even when I hate the results.

The Bad Art Bonfire is a useful thing. lol Also, re-purposing bad art is a good exercise. Old watercolors get torn into scraps for collages; failed oil paintings get gessoed over so I can re-use the canvas. Crappy sculptures get smashed. It's good to keep some bad art around though as a reminder of how far I've come. :)

I think the way you practice is also super important, realizing what your weak points are and then targeting them. For example, with a piece of music you don't play the whole song over and over again. You pick out the hardest part and focus that down until you've got it just right.

If you have a talent, I think part of it - or even most of it - is that you've figured out a way of learning that skill that's allowed you to get good at it. . . not necessarily that you were just magically good at it to start with.

Oh my goodness that picture is breathtaking ! OwO You are a wonderful artist ! i wanted to try to paint little pictures like i used to. It really helps me relax. i really need that sense of relaxation because i am so high strung nowadays.

Latest posts

Back