Judging the Homeless

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aribeth said:
I feel sorry for the homeless. We had a few in our city because the no longer could get welfare or odsp. One was a father and his son. They would hang outside the mall or on the boardwalk. Lucky for them it was summertime. Come autumn the just disappeared. Most homeless leave town because there is not enough help for them.
That could just as well be me. Ever since to moving to my new apartment I no longer get my mail. This could lead me to some problems.

yes, that is sad :(
and that's why i said that i can only comment on the situation in my own region because i know there are many places in the world that have a completely different situation that is out of their control.

Walley said:
There are a lot of reasons why someone could become homeless...
but unfortunately if you actualy go on the street and learn about them, you will find alot of the stories are not that different.
i'm not going to jump too much into this subject because i know my views will be unpopular and also regional, because i doubt that homeless people are the same everywhere you go and I can only relate to those in my expirience.
but i actually know a homeless man.
i'm talking a long breaded dazed and confused guy that stands against a wall with his hand stretched out for hours on end mumbling to himself.
I used to go to school with him, we had lots of similar friends and same crowd!.
he was a typical case of a guy that would constantly make poor choices and took bad drugs and over induldged in everything.
he was NOT a victim in any way. anyone that knows this guy knows full well anything that happened in his life was self inflicted. everyone could see it comming a mile away.
but do people think he needs a few bucks to help him get on his feet? feel better about yourself for thinking you possibly helped someone doesnt actually help him. it just keeps him alive on the street for one more day instead of recieve the real help he needs. he isnt there from being down and out just like alot of them, dare i say most of them. he is there due to mental issues and his mind is gone, whether its from drugs, alcohol or just plain pyscological issues it is actualy closer to inhumane to trickle in a few dolloars by passers by to keep him there sitting in his filth.
do people think he would die if they dont give him money?
you think he went downtown where all the people pass by to die? no. he went there for money to get some crack. if he had absolutely no way of getting money he would be alot closer to recieving help imho.
there is no true reason for anyone to live on the street for long in well developed countries like Canada and USA, but the streets are still full of them in the downtowns of big cities.
ive been down. even lived in my car for a few weeks when i was younger due to harder times. so i know stuff can happen. but it truly is a shame that so many people with mental and addiction issues fall though the cracks and the only help they get is to stay excatly where they are by receiving handouts and a blankey to lay beside the trash with..

You talk as if getting help is easy. Pray tell me, is it?

well as i.said i can only speak for my own nation. and in canada? it isnt that hard.
we have a social system and public heath care that includes mental health.
my sister is a social worker that deals with wayward women. abused, out of jail, abandoned with children and that sort of thing. and not only can anyone in need recieve help.. but i used to joke with her that i could walk into her office in my work clothes while shes out and probably talk my way into recieving a cheque.
and she would tell me to shut up because she knew it was true.

Latest posts

Back