Just Read a Great Book...And Update.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lonelygirl

Hi All,

I'm doing much better lately. I've made a few closer friends and things are getting slowly better in my life. I am finding alleviation to my loneliness with other mothers of young kids.

I just read a great book called "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan." It's about two Chinese girls in the old days when they still did bound feet. It's really touching and beautiful.

Also, are you guys still doing the Book Club? I meant to join but forgot to get the book in time.

hey lonelygirl.. thats awesome, that you managed to make some new friends! did you sign up to a playgroup or something?

interesting you brought up the chinese and the feet binding business, was just talking about that last night to dh.. sounds like an interesting book, ill have to look out for it at the bookstore.. and if you guys do have some sort of book club, is this something where anyone can jump in?? i adore reading..

Could someone recommend a book? Preferably some sad one. I'm leaving for a two week holiday to china soon (yes, i'm going alone), and that would be a great time to start reading a book.
I haven't read a book in ages, but that's mainly because I haven't found anything intresting to read..

Hi Dea,

Yes, there was another girl leading a book discussion group here for a while! We were supposed to read "Wicked", which is the book that the Broadway show is based on.

I do recommend "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" by Lisa See. I love Chinese culture and I have read many books. Just me, have you read 'The Joy Luck Club' by Amy Tan? That is a classic. I also loved all of her books about Chinese life, such as The Kitchen God's Wife, A Hundred Secret Senses, and The Bonesetter's Daughter. Whenever Amy Tan writes a book I am waiting eagerly. I love her writing.

I have read many books about China. I also recommend a non-fiction book called "Red China Blues." It's about a girl who was very Maoist and how reality changed her opinions. Really a fun book to read.

I loved 'On Gold Mountain' by Lisa See, about her Chinese grandfather who came to America and scandalously married a white woman back in the 1800's or early 1900's.

lol, all these books! now i need go make my husband join the library so i can get some of them! (i cant join because of the whole not an american citizen, no american ID thing) .. I must admit I've never read ANY books on chinese culture.. or really culture in general.. I read alot.. a real lot.. but its all junk.. lol, it makes me happy though, and I do love my fairy tales! I've been meaning to broaden my reading horizons somewhat though, and at least now I have actual recommended books to look for~

Hey Lonely, how was Wicked? I've been thinking about reading that one, but usually I've been picking up books and reading them to half way. Most of what I read is kind of like dea, I just read science fiction and fantasy. I use books as my escape from all that I know :) .

Frizbit said:
Hey Lonely, how was Wicked? I've been thinking about reading that one, but usually I've been picking up books and reading them to half way. Most of what I read is kind of like dea, I just read science fiction and fantasy. I use books as my escape from all that I know :) .

frizbit.. have you read the magicians guild trilogy by trudi canavan? if not, i highly recommend it.. sort of like harry potter for grown ups, they're really good! and if u like science fiction ( i THINK this falls under science fiction) then you should definitely without a doubt read "the truth machine" by james L. halperin .. its one of the best books I've ever read in my life, and it really leaves an impact on you. well thats my two cents worth for the day!

Well I haven't read Wicked. I'm embarassed to admit--I was one of those asking to read it for the Book discussion group on this site! But the others seemed to really like it. I LOVE all the Oz classics by L. Frank Baum and recommend them to everyone--child or adult.

I recommend all the Narnia Chronicles by C.S. Lewis, particularly the Magician's Nephew, which is the first in the series, NOT the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe as many think.

I also have read all the Harry Potter books and really like them. And I do recommend the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

Latest posts

Back