Learning something new

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scotsman said:
MissGuided said:
Today I learned that 'Black Sea Man' and 'Monkey's Bum' are actual names of tomato plant varieties. True story.

You should check out some mushroom names. 'Milky bell cap' being one.

I think I had that once. I got some ointment from the doctor, fixed it up a treat!

Cavey said:
Edward W said:
Why were you Googling 'Monkey's Bum' though, huh?
Maybe she was looking for an Eastern European gentleman instead. Mail order husband perhaps? Marginally less worrying than looking for pictures of hairy arses...

I have may have googled a bum or two in my time, but never a Monkey's Bum. You should have seen my boss' face as I told him that I ordered some Black Sea Man online last night. :/

Scotsman said:
You should check out some mushroom names. 'Milky bell cap' being one.

That will be my new favorite phrase! I will try to inject that in everyday conversation as often as possible.

Runciter said:
Well for what it's worth, I haven't had a single dropped connection with the new one since it was connected. I'd phone them up and threaten to switch to Virgin until they decide to upgrade you for free. Though this is only helpful if you don't have a massive amount of time left on your contact. Still, ranting at them about the router might help, use the words 'not fit for purpose,' it seems to scare big companies. Though Rupert Murdoch is prick and I doubt there is much that scares him about consumer rights.

I don't pay the bill so I can't.

I think the newer routers are decent, but it doesn't matter now since I've replaced it with a better one.

Today I learned that there is a newcomers "group" in my area (I just might join that club!)

I learned that if I email my mother about something I expect to be kept just between us, the entire family will hear about it in less than 24 hours.

I also learned more about light painting, the band City of Colour, the artist Helenka, nacreous clouds, and what a quincunx is.

Nacreous "mother-of-pearl" clouds:

nacreous_clouds_norway.jpg

Light painting:

DavidGilliverLightPaintings4.jpg

2938380415_63007c082f.jpg

Solivagant said:
Nacreous "mother-of-pearl" clouds:

nacreous_clouds_norway.jpg

Light painting:

DavidGilliverLightPaintings4.jpg

2938380415_63007c082f.jpg

Mesmerizing skyscape/view and the light painting is so radical. Thanks for sharing !

I learned that my tire chains work great on snow and ice, however not so good in clay mud. And I learned I really should check the road to the spring after a rain to see just how wet it is. And I learned that the tread on my tires really is not as deep as I thought, and I think if I can get my car out, I will be in the market for some new tires. Wow I learned a lot today.

I watch the news everyday... and I am Never disappointed that people can get more stupid every day. They surpass themselves by leaps and bounds over, and over, and over, and over, and over....

And didn't Albert Einstein say that the definition of INSANITY : was doing the same thing over, and over, and over, BUT each time expecting a different result.

So Each day I feel so much better about myself, just by observing others, like watching Saturday morning cartoons when I was a kid !! Beep Beep !!

Are you the Road Runner today or the Coyote ?? I work for ACME Corp. now as a sales rep. so I win either way......

I learned that even in a country where tipping is not common place, it's worth leaving one just to make the waitress smile.

I saw a vanity license plate that said "2Bichon". I thought it was supposed to be interpreted as "Too Bitchin'", but my aunt informed me that a bichon is a breed of poofy white dog. :p

Baby squirrels are called kittens :D and kittens are born only twice a year.  Once in the spring time and once at the end of the summer

I learned to properly fill a bad drywall seam from my Mother in Law.
I totally sucked at it...until now :)

^ That's awesome!

I learned that uninsulated pipes break in the middle of winter if they get too cold and wet. I'd like to think that I knew that a long time ago, but the lesson has really been driven home now that a small pond has sprung up in my backyard.

I'm guessing I'm about to learn that plumbers charge a lot.

Solivagant said:
Lightning in slow motion:

photo.gif

That's cool, it shows how each bolt tries to find the 'easiest' route to ground, then how it makes contact when it does.

TIL: There is an out of hours ice cream van that drives around the town where I live. :D

TIL: Gutting small game birds is a pain in the ass. But now I know how to gut and prepare birds for the kitchen (I gutted and prepared 2 wood pigeons for the table that a family friend gifted me from a shoot he was on, I have a female mallard duck to gut now). :)

TIL: Dorothy's ruby slippers are actually silver slippers in the book.

:3

Latest posts

Back