Left Facebook the other day (yet another dis on FB)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Facebook seems too disorganized. It's like there's way too much junk combining to make this messy stew. And people almost never post anything interesting there. It's like looking thru a bunch of other people's vacation photo albums. Snooze.

I Deactivated my account today, but I thought you couldn't delete it, because even after you deactivate you can login again.
I would urge anybody to quit facebook too.

just cos you have facebook, doesn't mean you are anything. Just cos you don't doesn't imply something to you as well. Just cos people have facebook and don't interact in it, doesn't mean they are snobs. Just cos people are always on facebook, doesn't mean that they are shallow, mindless people. It is just a tool. It's not evil nor good. We can leave or live in it. Even something as innocent as reading, when used excessively may affect your life, for the worse or better. To each his own.

floffyschneeman said:
just cos you have facebook, doesn't mean you are anything. Just cos you don't doesn't imply something to you as well. Just cos people have facebook and don't interact in it, doesn't mean they are snobs. Just cos people are always on facebook, doesn't mean that they are shallow, mindless people. It is just a tool. It's not evil nor good. We can leave or live in it. Even something as innocent as reading, when used excessively may affect your life, for the worse or better. To each his own.
Agreed. It was just my time to leave. As mentioned in earlier posts, it took just about 2 weeks for my FB page to be deleted. Glad I did it, and have no regrets.
If others find FB beneficial to them, that's a good thing. It was more of a thorn in my side if anything, so I left.

I find Facebook is a good tool for connecting with old friends who you would rarely talk to otherwise. Of course I am also stuck with lots of "friends" who I suspect don't wish me well, so I don't want to give them all the important information about me, my challenges/problems, and what I'm up to. So I purposefully don't keep my info current, only post "vacation"-type photos and make light-hearted and meaningless posts, including a fair share of LOLcats and jokes. I don't get people share their babies' photos and stories that will be hugely embarassing once the baby grows up, if they resurface. The key is to not obsess over it - just spend a few minutes a day on Facebook and don't waste time poring over distant acquaintances' photo albums. A couple of my old classmates have left Facebook and I admit I haven't talked to them since :( .

SophiaGrace said:
I thought they cancelled it immediately.

Nope, it's 14 days, in case you want to cancel your cancellation.... Really.

Good, I guess. I find Facebook depressing sometimes. I go on and see people all happy and I wish I could be them.

I thought about getting off the computer for awhile, like weeks, months or something. But then I'd be more bored.

I don't know, something for me to think about. Maybe if I get my own place.

Left f/b too, it never really did anything for me except make me feel bad. Had some people I knew and family, but nobody ever would 'talk' to me. I would leave a nice comment, like for a pic about my brother's kid or something, and they would post a reply to eveyone's comment but mine. Or I would post some really cool stuff, relevant and interesting, and no one would ever 'like' it. But someone would post the stupidest thing and get a bunch of 'likes'. I once posted a very cool story, I knew it would mean something to alot of people. Not one 'like'. So one of my family the same day posts 'I'm tired today', and gets 10 'likes'. I finally realized going on f/b made me feel bad every time. I'd get depressed and feel like nobody really cared, so I cancelled. It still makes me sad that it's a place I just don't belong, but at least it's not a daily letdown.
I've also seen it change alot of people I know. They've become more selfish, more needy of the useless comments from people, and it really fed their ego. To the point that they'd even become a little arrogant.
So no f/b fo me, and I'm better off. Why keep going to a place that's made it quite clear that I don't belong? Hopefully that won't happen here, cuz I really like it here. So many nice people.

Until half a year ago I wasn't on Facebook, but people kept telling me to create an account and eventually I caved in. In some respects it really is useful, staying in contact and the like... But for me it's a constant reminder of how other people seem to have a life and I don't. Even something trivial like the amount of friends you have can influence the way people see you if they don't know you well. While I actually don't want to care about that kind of thing, I automatically do. It's just one more thing my brain can go crazy about, which is also the reason why I didn't want to get an account in the first place. But it can't be helped I guess, I'll just have to learn to care less about what people might be thinking of me.

Lost Soul said:
I thought about getting off the computer for awhile, like weeks, months or something. But then I'd be more bored.

That sounds like a really good idea. Lately I've gotten used to wasting a lot of time on the internet, so staying off the computer would probably give me much more time to enjoy "real", rewarding activities like playing the guitar, reading and going outside. Maybe I'll try that sometime in the holidays when I don't need my computer for university work...

It's just a website, I really don't understand why people make such a big deal about it. If you don't like something someone says, just delete them. If you don't like the website, don't go there.

Callie said:
It's just a website, I really don't understand why people make such a big deal about it. If you don't like something someone says, just delete them. If you don't like the website, don't go there.

Well said.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Callie said:

Well said.

Already done a long time ago. However, my point was how it changes people into something they're not. I suppose if the need to feed their ego makes them feel good, more power to them. But it doesn't make me feel good(ie.nobody ever commenting on my posts), or one would say makes me feel lonelier. Which I thought was the point of this site; people expressing their problems of how they feel alone. And it's not a big deal; just another small piece in the puzzle called lonliness.
Understand now?

wolf359 said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Callie said:

Well said.

Already done a long time ago. However, my point was how it changes people into something they're not. I suppose if the need to feed their ego makes them feel good, more power to them. But it doesn't make me feel good(ie.nobody ever commenting on my posts), or one would say makes me feel lonelier. Which I thought was the point of this site; people expressing their problems of how they feel alone. And it's not a big deal; just another small piece in the puzzle called lonliness.
Understand now?

You misunderstand me. I wasn't specifically calling YOU out on the matter.
People make facebook out to be to be the equivalent of a monster, but it is what it is, it's what you make it. It's a website for people to socialize with others. Some are in it for glory, some are in it to see if how many friends they can get...some take it seriously and some see it as a way to troll and yet others just want to play the stupid games that facebook has.
If you take it too seriously, yes, you will find it to be a big scary monster.

Callie said:
wolf359 said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Callie said:

Well said.

Understand now?

You misunderstand me. I wasn't specifically calling YOU out on the matter.
People make facebook out to be to be the equivalent of a monster, but it is what it is, it's what you make it. It's a website for people to socialize with others. Some are in it for glory, some are in it to see if how many friends they can get...some take it seriously and some see it as a way to troll and yet others just want to play the stupid games that facebook has.
If you take it too seriously, yes, you will find it to be a big scary monster.

I understand, and no offense meant. It's just kind of a sore spot with me. In some ways to me it is highly questionable, what with their shady privacy practices and people just voluntarily and blindingly giving them personal information, etc., but I digress. I only see what it's been for me; just another format to be ignored, mostly by my own family. And that hurts, so there is resentment, and sometimes it comes out. I do see it as useful to some people. But I don't take it seriously and never will because it is what it is. And it is what I make it because of what others have made me feel about it. I may see through the smoke and mirrors (NOT big and scary), but I'd still be willing to accept it if I was allowed to be a part of it. But I'm not, so, here I am.
Again, no offense. But being a cast out is quite similar in real life as it is on f/b. No matter how you slice it, it's the same feeling.
Hurt.

It's been a week shy of 2 months since I left FB now. I can say that there are certain aspects of it that I miss, but mostly I am glad that I made the decision. I've had several people bring it up to me, saying that they miss my posts & such. Most are very understanding, and nobody has given me a hard time about it.
Really, I am not critical of anyone who finds benefit in having a FB account. My girlfriend, and her daughter both have their FB accounts, and they do mention to me different things going on in their FB world which I do find amusing or am sometimes reminded why I left. It was just my time. Others left before me, others will follow suit, and yet others will remain on it forever. To each their own.
Thanks to all here who supported me through my exiting period. It has meant much to me.

Latest posts

Back