Lets Be Proactive and Excercise Together for Better Health & Self Improvement

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did some yoga and exercise yesterday and today. Focused mostly on my back, shoulders, arms and tummy. :x

I walked for about 12 kilometers today. Out of necessity mostly, but what's done is done. Felt like putting that out there.

And I'm sure it's been pointed out before, but since I'm never here I wouldn't know...exercise is misspelt in the thread title. Hissss.

Rodent said:
And I'm sure it's been pointed out before, but since I'm never here I wouldn't know...exercise is misspelt in the thread title. Hissss.

I noticed it too... but didn't do anything about it. D:

Today was squats, deadlifts and alternate variations of those 2 exercises. I have sore buttcheeks...

Well, I can't do honeysuckle because I have injured my shoulder... that's new. I'm doing boring bodyweight honeysuckle instead. There are only so many hundred sit ups and press ups you can do before you're bored. Don't even get me started on planks...

Cavey said:
Well, I can't do honeysuckle because I have injured my shoulder... that's new. I'm doing boring bodyweight honeysuckle instead. There are only so many hundred sit ups and press ups you can do before you're bored. Don't even get me started on planks...

Mix it up then, there are hundreds of variations of the basic body weight exercises, try learning a new bodyweight skill, v situps, pistol squats etc

zibafu said:
Cavey said:

Mix it up then, there are hundreds of variations of the basic body weight exercises, try learning a new bodyweight skill, v situps, pistol squats etc

I find bodyweight exercise quite boring to be honest with you. I obviously cannot attempt any form of pull up, muscle up or other exercise relying on hanging/pulling. I can already do pistol squats. I did watch a dude doing box jumps from a pistol squat, that I cannot manage... not even close. I've no idea if I can do V sit ups, but anything that makes my serratus anterior taut results in quite a lot of pain, so I don't fancy trying anything that requires a lot of reaching/stretching.

Even sit ups and push ups are painful for now, but they're better than just sitting around doing nothing ;)

so yesterday, I decided to do as many sets of situps/pushups as I could, I managed 150 situps, done in 5 sets, last set was a real struggle, and about 110 pushups.

today my inner thighs are killing me, just got back from skating, and I could hardly skate, decided to do some more situps before I got in the bath, and could barely manage one cause my thighs are so sore... specifically the adductor muscles.

Never had that before, didn't think that the adductors were connected to anything in relation to sitting up :eek:

Maybe you were squeezing your legs together super tightly to compensate for the weakening of other muscles as time went on. Just a random theory from someone who knows very little on the subject =p.

Oh and Cavey, pistol squats are a goal of mine. Can you do a pistol then bend forward while in the pistol and wrap your hand around the extended leg?

kamya said:
Oh and Cavey, pistol squats are a goal of mine. Can you do a pistol then bend forward while in the pistol and wrap your hand around the extended leg?

Good God, no! It's enough of a struggle just to pull them off with my arms extended. In all honesty, the more I lift, the harder I find it to do things like pistol squats; I think I am slowly losing my flexibility. I can deal with that... :D

I'm quite happy today. I've not been feeling too well physically, and mentally I'm a bloody mess; the last thing I wanted to do was workout. I somehow managed to not only complete my 5x5 workout, but finish it with minimal effort, so I spent 20 minutes doing a Farmer's Walk until my arms gave out. Increased grip strength FTW!

I've been doing yoga mostly lately. Slacking a bit on my workouts cos of working too much. Need to find a balance!

So I'm gonna try to get back to my old routine, and probably pick up pilates or pilates and boxing too (we'll see about pilox, not too sure on this just yet).

Please remind me to stop working too much even if it means my work will pile up the next day just so I can get back to my old routine. :D

My legs are exhausted, my sleep is all messed up and I've had to change a lot of my workouts due to other problems, so I have dropped the weights down and will work my way up again while focusing on good form.

Today was deadlift day. I quickly warmed up with 135x5, 185x5 and 225x5, then moved on to my working sets at 270x5, 290x3 and then an AMRAP set at 315. I still felt good so I did singles up to 385. Still relatively lightweight, but at least it's moving in the right direction again...

I followed that up with 5x10 squats at 50% of my 1RM. Still feel good.

Cavey, I need to train with you. Seriously.
(Mostly for the motivation - not so much the weight-lifting. :p )

ladyforsaken said:
Cavey, I need to train with you. Seriously.
(Mostly for the motivation - not so much the weight-lifting. :p )

... but lifting weights is so much fun! You don't actually get big or anything unless you're eating a caloric surplus or turning your arse into a dartboard.

I'm not so sure you'd like my brand of motivation. I learned everything I know from Dr. Cox - I scream, shout, strip you of your dignity and then throw in a girl's name just for effect. I might have to rethink that last one ;)

Today, I did a squat pyramid up to 90% of my 1RM and then back down the otherside, followed by 3x10 at a lighter weight. I moved on to barbell glute bridges and barbell calf raises. I felt pretty good, so I did 5x10 conventional and sumo deadlifts.

My lower body hates me quite a bit right now...

Oh, and just to keep on topic... that time I injured my shoulder, I actually had Rocky IV on in the background. Any Rocky training montage ought to come with a health warning :D

Well, it's that time when I update a thread that no one else really uses :)

I've been running Wendler's Beyond 5/3/1 for a couple of months now and these are my results so far:

Month 1:

Squat +25lbs
Bench +15lbs
Deadlift +35lbs
OHP +6lbs

Month 2:

Squat +35lbs
Bench +10lbs
Deadlift +22lbs
OHP +9lbs

I'm reaching a level now where I expect things to start slowing down - especially for an old bugger like me. I'm very nearly at the goal I set myself in June, so I suppose I better start thinking about my goals for the New Year.

Around 4 years ago I weighed 250lbs at 5'9 and all of that was fat. I had barely moved for 10 years and I was as weak as a kitten. I got my weight down to 164lbs and lost 10 inches off my waistline in a little over a year. I started lifting around 3 years ago and I could barely lift the bar... seriously. I now weigh 183lbs, but with a significantly changed body shape and the same exact waist measurement as I had at 164lbs. The point of this is that if I can do it at 40+ years old, then anyone out there who is unhappy with their weight/strength/body image can do it to. Don't tell yourself that you can't or that it's too late, because you can and it isn't...

I'll chip in with an update here. :)

A few years ago, I had a killer workout routine going and was in great shape. Went to the gym at least five times a week, usually six. Then honeysuckle happened, and my average has since dropped to 0-1 times a week, while the kilos have kept adding on. LeSigh. (Did I mention my weakness for junk food and sweets?)

Trying to pull myself up again now, and today I had my third workout this week. Everything hurts and I just want to die a little, but in a good way. Managed a some cardio and weight lifting on Wednesday, a spinning class yesterday and a yoga class today. (Don't let the stereotypes fool you; yoga at a gym is actually hardcore static muscle training with the added bonus of flexibility and balance training.)

I'm hoping to manage another workout tomorrow, with some more weights, and then do a calm, hour long walk in the forest on Sunday for restitution day. :)

I'm trying to get good at the beep test for ny Navy recruitment test on the 6th. Not scoring high enough at the moment but hoping the runs I'm doing will help change that.

Latest posts

Back