Library books versus buying books

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188685

sunflower lover
Reaction score
in your opinion what is better,buying books or getting them at the library?I love to read,but buying books can be so expensive,what are your thoughts on this?

Library is a good option. But there are not all the books there, if you(not any particluar you) can find a good one, that suits you, with the books you like - I don't see why you shoudn't use it. Some of them have the subscriptions to some interesting journals.
I like being in the libraries, but for me the e-books work better. In the library, that I can use, they only give you the e-books via their app, and I prefer e-reader, not a phone.
There are some e-books I manage to get free(officially free, paid by some volunteers, mostly pop-science).
To have all books I've read in paper, I'd need a lot of money and a lot of shelves )

I like new books if it's something I really like.

However, like you said, it gets expensive. Not only that, but buying new isn't always possible if something you want is out of print.

The library can be a good option for buying books at a low price, but just be careful to look the books over for wear and tear, or water or mold damage.

I like to have books, maybe my capitalistic thinking but I like owning a book and being able to read it anytime.
It is expensive though so I only buy around one book a month. The rest I borrow at the library. I am a volunteer at my local library though so i can borrow for free, usually it's around 50 euros a year to borrow. I am also a bit of a torrenter, yes very bad hahaha

In the Netherlands we have this cute concept of outside ''libraries'', basically everyone can put used books in, and others can just grab the books and keep them. Everyone is very nice so the books are always filled and renewed by local people who really care :)

Latest posts

Back