Life With No Possibility Of Parole, Or The Death Penalty. Which Would You Choose?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JasonM said:
Death. No one should be forced to suffer.

Interesting to hear advocating the Death Penalty on compassionate grounds. Most people see it as the ultimate punishment.

Its a bit of an odd question really as if you can't face life without parole and would rather die you would probably take your own life at some point. As most people on a life setence don't you have to conclude that people actually in that situation and faced with that choice prefer to still live.

The Good Citizen said:
JasonM said:
Death. No one should be forced to suffer.

Interesting to hear advocating the Death Penalty on compassionate grounds. Most people see it as the ultimate punishment.

Its a bit of an odd question really as if you can't face life without parole and would rather die you would probably take your own life at some point.

Possibly. I was envisioning the choice of let's say administered lethal injection where you just go to sleep as oppose to something more violent like hanging yourself or carving your wrists out.

The Good Citizen said:
As most people on a life setence don't you have to conclude that people actually in that situation and faced with that choice prefer to still live.

No, but let me describe where I am coming from with this. I've had family members reduced to 'prisoners' in their own minds and bodies from disease and old age and yet live on for up to a decade in this condition before getting their 'release'. Given the choice, I would pick a quick death to the suffering (as I imaging that loss of freedom) of what life in a cell without hope would be like. So yes, I suppose my argument would be from the view point of compassion, in my own way.

Poguesy said:
Not guilty by reason of insanity ;)

See I've never fully understood/agreed with this concept. If the laws, at their best, are in place to protect the society as a whole from the rogue elements that work against it's welfare, then the individual committing the crime is guilty regardless of the reason for their actions, at least if you make it a purely logical argument. The society needs to be protected from that element regardless.

Now I'm not suggesting the promotion of any sort of Draconian implementation of laws, but call a fish a fish.

JasonM said:
Poguesy said:

See I've never fully understood/agreed with this concept. If the laws, at their best, are in place to protect the society as a whole from the rogue elements that work against it's welfare, then the individual committing the crime is guilty regardless of the reason for their actions, at least if you make it a purely logical argument. The society needs to be protected from that element regardless.

Now I'm not suggesting the promotion of any sort of Draconian implementation of laws, but call a fish a fish.

I think the law looks to protect still, if they are a danger then they will be institutionalised. Same result, incarceration but culpability still had to be determined. Derek Bentley for example, his execution was a travesty.

The Good Citizen said:
JasonM said:
Poguesy said:

I think the law looks to protect still, if they are a danger then they will be institutionalised. Same result, incarceration but culpability still had to be determined. Derek Bentley for example, his execution was a travesty.

It also protects the criminal. My son was mugged at the age of 9 while playing on our street. The adults threatened to murder him if he didn't hand over his bike.

They were never caught, but I was told by victim support they would get far more help via counselling than my son did.

Punishments are too relaxed and no deterrent.

So - my choice to 'choose death' in this thread - is because I must have done something very bad and evil to receive life without parole. Couldn't live with that on my conscious.

The Good Citizen said:
Derek Bentley for example, his execution was a travesty.

Ok you got me there smart guy :p as I had to google the name. However I still stand by my statement of the laws "at there best". Unfortunately they are often used, twisted and generally confounded in ways with less then honorable intentions.

^^ still doesnt sway me. when people participate in an armed robbery, they take the chance and responsibility that anything can happen. that is why the judge had him put down. he was the boss.

I dont see it as either. to me the death pentalty should be used to get rid of those that are not fit to live among the rest of us in society. its not a punishment or deterrant, it's sorting out the bad apples that I wouldnt want to live among or finnacially support for the rest of their lives in prison. we put down mad dogs, or wild animals that get a taste for blood. why would we not put down a person that would snap your neck like a twigg if he was given a chance?

Walley said:
^^ still doesnt sway me. when people participate in an armed robbery, they take the chance and responsibility that anything can happen. that is why the judge had him put down. he was the boss.

I dont see it as either. to me the death pentalty should be used to get rid of those that are not fit to live among the rest of us in society. its not a punishment or deterrant, it's sorting out the bad apples that I wouldnt want to live among or finnacially support for the rest of their lives in prison. we put down mad dogs, or wild animals that get a taste for blood. why would we not put down a person that would snap your neck like a twigg if he was given a chance?

Politely disagree with you slightly Walley -

If the guy knew 100% it carried the death penalty would he have done it ? Or would he have thought twice.

I'm very much opposed to capital punishment personally, always have been. I don't have the appetite for discussing it at length though, its one of those where everyone's mind is set in stone (same as every topic, lol) plus its been a long day! But yeah, very opposed. :rolleyes:

hehe, that's ok you can Politely disagree with me any time =)
just like i can with you too :p

I doubt he would have thought twice. why would he? are the moral implications not enough?
do people really not comprehend the seriousness of murder of understand it as something evil and wrong unless there is a particular law on the books outlining the punishment?
did he think.. well ok, at worst i go to prison the rest of my life so i may as well pack some knives or a gun when i go to rob this place?

to me, if i were jumping in a car with some friends to go rob a bank, or a store or even a house, and even just one of us is armed, then I know there is potential for something to go wrong and people may get hurt or killed. so who is at fault for that? certainly not the person who died. the blame lands squarely on all those involved in making the robbery happen.

Walley said:
hehe, that's ok you can Politely disagree with me any time =)
just like i can with you too :p

I doubt he would have thought twice. why would he? are the moral implications not enough?
do people really not comprehend the seriousness of murder of understand it as something evil and wrong unless there is a particular law on the books outlining the punishment?
did he think.. well ok, at worst i go to prison the rest of my life so i may as well pack some knives or a gun when i go to rob this place?

to me, if i were jumping in a car with some friends to go rob a bank, or a store or even a house, and even just one of us is armed, then I know there is potential for something to go wrong and people may get hurt or killed. so who is at fault for that? certainly not the person who died. the blame lands squarely on all those involved in making the robbery happen.

Yes - NO - Yes :D

Because they delude themselves they won't get caught - too focused on the greed of the crime and see not enough punishment at the end of it.

If there was harsher sentences there would still be those who do it - but some would think again.

LoneKiller said:
Life in prison with no possibility of parole, or the death penalty. Which would you pick? Myself, I'd choose death. I couldn't handle the time. What would you choose?

Death. I've already been someone's *****.

Well, the prison itself plays a role. Some are tolerable locations where Inmates unlikely to do any future terrors are locked up with minor pleasantries like books and paper, whereas other prisons are overcrowded rape-fests.

Ultimately, I'd probably choose prison.

Latest posts

Back