Living alone and being ill.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bluey

Ye it sucks. Thursday afternoon I started feeling run down and by the time I went to bed I had the biggest headece ever. I was woke up at 11 and 12 and 1 and so on all night. I really needed some pain killers but could not even pick my head up of the pillow cos my head was hurting so much. I conceded calling my mum and dad who live just up the road to come and get me the pain killers that was down starts but still I would had had to go down stars to unlock the door. So for 5 hours in bed I struggled to get out to get some pain killers. How easy would that had been if there was another person in my home. Most of the time I really don't mind living alone. OK some times I do get down about it but sometimes its equally good to be able to have your own space.

But when your ill and are living alone this is when it most sucks for me. For two days I did not see one person and could not really use the computer cos the screen was hurting my eyes. I don't normally suffer from headaches and I hope I don't have to go fro that again. I have had some long nights in my life do to bad health but that night last Thursday I would say is amongst the top of the worst. I just needed to get to take some **** pain killers. Would had took someone all of 30 seconds to run down stars and get them normally.

I am glad to say I am feeling a lot moor human again. Being ill sucks and it doubly sucks when you live alone I think. I also conceded calling a doctor out cos this come from out of nowhere how I was feeling. I think its probably one of them things where if someone had been there they would had just done it on my behalf.

Your thoughts on what is the best way to deal with being ill when you live alone? Do you think it would had been a good idea to call someone like your mum and dad? (at 2 in the morning) To move in with a friend for a bit? Or a family member. Assuming you have someone that is willing to do this for you that is. What can you do to insure that you get something as basic as a pain killer.

Now I had no clue in tell the other night that a headache could be so painful that you would not even be able to lift your head up. Had it the next day as well and even a bit to day but I did get to the pain killers and I have been making the most out of poping them as well :D lol I win headache Losers :D

Bluey said:
Your thoughts on what is the best way to deal with being ill when you live alone?

Well, it is pretty tough to live on your own. Even the worst roommates still have a somewhat compassionate side to them. I don't get along with the person I live with, but there are times that I wonder how I would get some things done without them.

I think having a friend to call over is definitely a must if you live alone. Is there someone trustworthy enough to let have a key? I think that would be very important... what if you were deathly ill and needed someone? A buddy of mine back at university once broke his foot, and he lived on the third floor. He literally had to have someone help him up/down the stairs, or else he wouldn't have been able to get to work.

Little things like that make having a roommate or at least a friend with access to your place of dwelling fairly important.

A number of things become pretty difficult when you are alone and have to handle it on your own.
As has already been mentioned, could you give a key to your parents so that they could get in if such a thing should occur again?

My parents already do have a spear key to my place that I gave them. But I left the key in the lock from the inside so it would not had done them much good. I Guss what I should start doing is to start taking the key out when I go to bed. Thing is I did not expect to be that bad when I went to bed. It just got worse as the night went on.

Just kinder brigs everything into how bad something can get with out the support of others being there. Doesn't matter how strong a person you are mentally I think we all from time to time would feel moor reassured that someone else is there. I know I would had done the other night.

The scary thing is I don't ever see my sechwashon changing. So what happens in old age when I don't have even my parents there and are probably going to need moor support then the odd thing like this. Now that thought is frightening. I just have to hope that ether I meet someone or that I stay fit enough to look after myself in tell the day I die. Preferbaly I meet someone that I die be for she dose would be nice lol That selfish ye? Then she well be on her own. Oh dear. No one wins :p You gotta laugh or you would cry.

why do you leave the key in the door at all? maybe you should just keep your painkillers by your bed? So this doesnt happen again. *hug*

You know, when I used to live alone during university for a brief time (my roommate dropped out of school and I couldn't get someone to sublet for the rest of the semester), I used to wonder how long it'd be before someone realized I was dead if something were to have happened. Not a pleasant thought; I had a family member (some sort of aunt... half removed, in law, second cousin, or what not) die in her NY apartment... the maid found her during her weekly visit, and apparently it'd been a few days. The fact that upon entry she said, "oh, judy... smells like something died in here" probably messed her up when she saw her employer lying on the ground.

Do you have someone you talk to most every day or so? I keep in touch with my parents, and should they not call me or I them, then we always check first thing in the morning to make sure everything is alright.

And, perhaps taking the key out of your door might prove beneficial should you have to call your parents for an emergency "I've fallen and I can't get up" situation...

aFIREinside80 said:
And, perhaps taking the key out of your door might prove beneficial should you have to call your parents for an emergency "I've fallen and I can't get up" situation...

My fire dept./Ambulance got toned for a 'welfare check' on an elderly gentleman once because he hadn't called his family in a while and they couldn't get his door open. Older people in Idaho tend to lock their doors, and they also tend to be packrats...

Long story short the only way in was to bust the door in with a halligan bar and bulldog the junk he had piled on the other side. It was literally just a trail carved in the junk piles in his house, which lead to the 'key areas'...bedroom, microwave, fridge, sofa, bathroom basically, with a few open spots. We found him in his bedroom...he was OK, he had just fallen out of bed and couldn't manage to get himself up off the floor even to get the phone.

So yeah, I suggest giving your parents a spare key Bluey...or one day your door could also be opened with a halligan bar. :p

I'm so sorry to hear you're not well Bluey. My best friend lives alone and she's very sick with fibromyalgia. Some days even the smallest of tasks is difficult for her and she hardly ever hears from family. What I do is call and check on her regularly, at least once a day. When I'm down it helps me also. Ask your friends and family to do that and it will make you feel good that someone is calling to see how you are. If ever you don't pick up the phone when you should be, they'll know something is wrong. It's good back up. When you're really ill, don't stay alone unless you have too. Ask someone to stay with you or come get you and stay with them till you feel better. People that care about you, won't mind being there.

I know exactly how you feel Bluey. For the last 2 Christmas' I've been sick in bed with flu (and real flu not just man flu lol). The first year it was ok cos I was living with someone but last year was terrible.

I'm not usually sick very much but last year it was so bad I only left bed to go to the toilet and perhaps a few times for water in 4 or 5 days, I could barely move a lot of the time my body ached so much, and I felt so weak. I was even delusional with fever and could not stop thinking the most bizarre thoughts over and over again in my head for hours on end.

The crappy thing about it was the only reason anyone found out I was in bed all this time was on about the 28th (and 4th day I was in bed) when someone phoned me to ask something about a New Years thing I was suposed to be going out on. Living alone does have it's good points but some times it also can really suck. It's nice to have someone around just to bring you a cup of lemsip or something or even just notice that you are ill in the first place.

Not sure what to say about how to deal with it, just as peeps already said make sure someone has your key if anything should happen and keep your mobile close at hand, I always take it up to my bedside to charge at nights so it's always there if I need it.

I understand. It happens to me too.
I was so in pain want to call my mom but I didn’t.
About cry and felt so lonely tho.
Make sure health first.
Hugs

*Hugs Bluey.

Take care and I would advise you to give your parents the spare keys so that next time you are sick,they can visit you.

I remembered I was having asthma and all of my friends were on a chalet.None visited me though.

Just hope can make a good friend that cares for you.xD

SophiaGrace said:
why do you leave the key in the door at all? maybe you should just keep your painkillers by your bed? So this doesnt happen again. *hug*

I leave the key in the door normally just so I know where they are lol I have now started hanging the keys up tho.

The pain killers are only down stairs in a draw and normally would not be a problem to get to. Normally I don't need them.

aFIREinside80 said:
I had a family member (some sort of aunt... half removed, in law, second cousin, or what not)

Do you have someone you talk to most every day or so?

You have the same kinder family as me lol. I have to many relatives that sound like that.

I don't have anyone I see on a day to day basis no. Sometimes I can go days with out seeing anyone. I do let my mums dog out for her why she is at work. So maybe if the dog could not hold it in cos I did not turn up then maybe my mum would call and ask if I had took the dog out to day. But maybe not as if I have said I am going to do something then my mum would assume that I had done it as that is the kinder person I am. She gives me her times of work normally by mail. So even if i failed to let the dog out its no guarantee that anyone would think there was a problem. Plus he's such a well trained dog he would probably manege to hold it in anyway lol, Bliss him.

Scott said:
Not sure what to say about how to deal with it, just as peeps already said make sure someone has your key if anything should happen and keep your mobile close at hand, I always take it up to my bedside to charge at nights so it's always there if I need it.

Ye I do that as well. That how you explained in your hole post is probably how someone would find out about me not being well as well. Am really not one for calling someone and saying I am ill. I would had done that if it got to the stage where I needed something from the shop or something. But this really was just a one night thing that happend. OK I was feeling crap the next day as well but by that point I had gotten to the pain killers and was making full use of them as well. Normally I try not to take anything. But there is a point to where I think fresia that and bring on the pain killers :D

Sucks to be ill at christmas. I don't normally get ill that much since I quite smoking nearly 3 years ago. I get pain a lot in my back and hip mussels but I hope you don't get ill this year.

I am feeling better again now tho :)

i'm glad you're feeling better bluey

I hope you don't get ill again

*hugs*

evanescencefan91 said:
i'm glad you're feeling better bluey

I hope you don't get ill again

*hugs*

Thanks evanescence:) Come here and give me a big christmas HUG :)

You take care of your self over this holiday :)

Latest posts

Back