Living Alone and Eating

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theglasscell

Reaction score
I often read that eating out or getting take out all the time is a waste of money and that it's cheaper to cook at home.

I find that living alone it can often be a waste of money to buy groceries. Like the other day I felt like a hot dog and decided to make some at home, I ate two but didn't really get another craving for one for a while.

I generally won't want to eat 8 hot dogs in a week or even in two weeks and by that time they can get spoiled.

I end up throwing groceries out a lot, whereas when I do get takeout I eat all of it.

I just wonder if it's always true that cooking for yourself is cheaper.

I just find myself overwhelmed by chores on top of my work schedule and other hobbies, if I can eliminate washing dishes and cleaning my kitchen all the time, it seems worth the money I spend on takeout.

Hey man I can help you there... allot !! I can save you a fortune, hardly any dishes, not much cooking, or waste.

I can actually eat for a week on $20, and eat pretty tasty things. Also it's kind of fun to grow some of your own food.

Do you have a microwave and a freezer ?

I've never done a budgetary comparison between buying groceries and getting take-out more, but it's an interesting query. I live with my parents for now, but this thread makes me want to try out some different food budgets once I'm on my own again. I'm also getting really hungry and want pork dumplings now...so thanks for that ಠ_ಠ

All I can say is that it probably just depends on the kind of food and what your storage capacity is. I mean with hotdogs you could just leave everything in the freezer (provided there's space) and just make a few at a time. For me the greater challenge comes with fresh fruit & veggies because I tend to neglect that part of my diet. When I lived on my own I'd buy that stuff with good intentions and then half of it would go bad. There's really no take-out solution to that either. I suppose following meal plans would help...

Alienated said:
Hey man I can help you there... allot !! I can save you a fortune, hardly any dishes, not much cooking, or waste.

I can actually eat for a week on $20, and eat pretty tasty things. Also it's kind of fun to grow some of your own food.

Do you have a microwave and a freezer ?

I have a freezer. I have been meaning to buy a microwave. I've been in my place a year already without getting one.

They are having a sale at Kohl's so I am gonna get one this weekend.

I barely eat enough vegetables either cooking myself or with take out. Nothing besides canned corn usually.

I do eat a lot of fruit though, when I buy it I usually just only eat that and nothing else so it doesn't go to waste.

Well I can tell you some fast and easy meals that are great... Get the microwave though !!

They have allot of instant foods that aren't half bad with a little spicing up.... So they just sit in a box and last along time.... Just add water or milk, NUKE IT...stir and eat... And I cook out on the grill allot, very little clean-up. Tastes great.
Look into a little hibachi too... They are great , and healthier for you too !! They got some real cheap ones

You can freeze almost anything. You don't have to have a microwave, but they sure help and are worth the money.
I have the same issues like you described with the hot dogs...so I freeze stuff.
I try to buy as much fresh food as possible and cook a big batch of whatever, then freeze all but a meal or two for later. That way, I don't get bored eating the same thing for days. Buying fresh costs more initially, but in the long run you can really stretch food that way, and it's healthier usually. I usually cook on my day off.
I learned this when taking care of a parent w/ alzheimer's ...had to cook all her meals and freeze them in single portion sizes. Then she could just microwave them.

Really cheap staples if you buy them in bulk are rice and dried beans. Think of them as the laundry detergent you use to cut cocaine in order to get more out of it. They are fantastic to add to stews and stir frys (which are also some of the easiest dishes to make).

Once you get the beans you'll need to soak them for like 6 hours though before you can actually eat them, so a good thing to do is to dump them in a pot of water before you head out for work.

theglasscell said:
I often read that eating out or getting take out all the time is a waste of money and that it's cheaper to cook at home.

I find that living alone it can often be a waste of money to buy groceries. Like the other day I felt like a hot dog and decided to make some at home, I ate two but didn't really get another craving for one for a while.

I generally won't want to eat 8 hot dogs in a week or even in two weeks and by that time they can get spoiled.

I end up throwing groceries out a lot, whereas when I do get takeout I eat all of it.

I just wonder if it's always true that cooking for yourself is cheaper.

I just find myself overwhelmed by chores on top of my work schedule and other hobbies, if I can eliminate washing dishes and cleaning my kitchen all the time, it seems worth the money I spend on takeout.

It's just myself and my brother who lives in my home. Like u I eat fast food bc it's just easy. But lately I haven't got it. Just maybe once a week. I work night shift, so I usually eat breakfast. I don't buy a lot of food, bc it would go to waste. I do eat quite a bit of fruit. Once a week I will make a nice dinner.

Some tips I've picked up from my own cooking adventures:

- If you aren't in the habit of cooking every day I highly suggest making large batches that will last you around a week. This way you can cook when it's most convenient for you. I find that this also makes it a lot easier to use everything I have and not waste anything.
- Buy prepackaged vegetables. They're a bit more expensive than the regular kind but you'll save SO much time on preparation. Plus they're just as healthy.
- Start cleaning if you find yourself waiting on something to heat up. You'll thank yourself later once you've eaten and lapsed into a food coma.
- The freezer is your best friend. You can basically put anything in there for months and it'll still be edible.
- You might want to invest in a slow cooker. Basically you throw everything into the pot in the morning, and come home to a hot delicious meal. However, if your mornings are typically rushed then this can be tough to do.

Hope this helps. Good luck and bon appetit. :)

Cooking "family of 4" recipes and freezing is definitely the way to go. If you don't have a large freezer then it's awful though - you're essentially eating the same thing for 4 days!

Word up on the slow cooker - my one problem is that I just don't make the time in the morning to get everything ready.

Have a stock of recipes for things you like and make a meal plan for each week - when you go food shopping, you only buy what you need.

Latest posts

Back