living with addiction

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UDZ

Reaction score
Hi
i'm here because I live with addiction - and when i say live i mean i'm married, have a 2yo son, have a high pressure job in IT and i secretly get stoned all the time and pass it off as exhaustion/stress etc - have done for 25years and i'm not about to change - but it's lonely - nobody really knows me and my son is growing up and i don't want to be like this forever - but it's gone on so long already it defines me...

Welcome

Do you say "i'm not about to change" because you don't want to or because you don't feel that it is possible?

Hi,

Yes addictions are hard to break, one day you might give up but for now it's probably what you need. I'm addicted to smokes I smoke even if I don't want one and go through 30 a day, I need to give up because in 20 years or so I'm going to get emphysema and I couldn't handle that not being able to breathe.

I was addicted to alcohol and I had no choice but to cut back, my mum was pouring my alcohol down the drain that's how bad it had gotten to. So I went on a programme where you take nausea tablets to combat my addiction, in the end I cut back on my drinking and was allowed to drink at home again.

So I totally sympathise you, just make changes when you can and in your own time, no one can push you to give up and you won't until you are ready.

I had a gambling problem you wouldn't believe how much money I was putting into the machines, well I moved countries and didn't like the gambling machines that they had, they were'nt as fun and didn't pay out that much, when I lost my job I gave up only played them once since and that was 14 months ago, I only put in $2 and remembered how much I disliked playing them, so that was that, one addiction gone.

Only once did I start requiring an addiction to hashish it wasn't until I started to crave it that I knew it was a problem and your talking to someone who doesn't really do drugs on a weekly basis just went through a period. I was getting moody and withdrawal symptoms and angry, once I saw that sign that was it, I stopped, after that period I'd only have a puff of a joint twice or three times a year. I haven't had drugs in 3 1/2 years, don't think I'll ever take drugs again because when I did I'd get paranoid and anxiety, plus I'd freak out over minute things, would think the police were coming ecetera ecetera.

Welcome.

This friday will mark one month of me not smoking marijuana. It's been very difficult and I've come close to smoking again several times, but I know it's possible to quit. You can too if you want.

^Did you have some wicked dreams after you stopped?

UDZ, do you feel guilt or shame when you smoke? If so, why? If you enjoy it and are able to get away with it at work then don't worry about it. If you feel it slows you down at work don't smoke before going in or drink some energy drinks.

well...I've been told I'm about is sick as my secrets.

On that note...I'm a recovering addict and I'll probably go out
and get F-up out of my freaken mind if I could. Screw all that
guilt and shame crap...man..I'm fucken a addict and I love getting
messed up and getting high...Once I can get honest about that than
the craving and obsession loses it's grip on me.

Today I chose not to get messed up no matter what.
I have a CHIOCE.
This is my chioce and no one else can make it for me...

I attend support groups...I needed help.
Well...if you have every worked aorund the house or around machenical stuff.
It's nice to have an extra helping hand every now and then...
Addiction is such a CUNNING enemy of life. We all need help and I didn't have to
do it alone. Strength in numbers....

yeap..I had a kick ass job with plenty of pressure and felt
like I was always under the freaken gun. It stressed the honeysuckle out of me.

Well..I paid a terrible price...I lost my wife and duaghter whom I love very,
very much. Most of all I lost myself.
Well...it still rips my heart out that I don't have a relationship with
my duagther. Acceptence is a son of a *****. But I can't use over it.
As much as I love my duaghter, I love myself a 1000 times more.

mmm if I use I'll have no chance with her....
If I don't use I might have a half of a chance...which is still better than
no chance at all.

Thng is - i don't smoke. I eat dried leaf. Also I grow my own - and the complexity of doing this year on year when I don't even have a garden is incredible. The hedgerows in England are tall and wide and border every farmers field. I drive an hour to work and back every day down country lanes and every spring I sow the seeds on the window at work - tell the boss and my colleagues they are tomatoes (which I also sow) - they all joke that really it's marijuana - and actually it is. As soon as the seeds leaves are out I transfer them to pots in an old greenhouse and then I start doing very early morning drives to work - stopping to plant my litttle lovelies in over a dozen small plots I've spent years working on. Some of them are just meters from the road, most are only accessible through narrow tunnels in the thorns and nettles that I spend the whole summer working on, disguising the entrances, hollowing out the passages etc - and each leads to a small (1 - 2m) glade where the earth has been carefully dug, treated over the winter months, and my plants grow intertwined with the hedgerow shrubs, invisible from the air and the road - my delicious secrets - I harvest all summer, right now I'm still got three plants full of buds - and I dry the crop in the spare wheel compartment of my car, a secret compartment in my shed, the very back of my loft, a small cave I dug - many places. I plant just enough to get me stoned every day all year - running very low towards the end of winter - sometimes running out. The highs are slow-coming and subtle, no paranoia or anxious fits, just mellow euphoria. I am a recovered alcoholic and this is what got me off the booze - but it really is a secret life - full of deception and lies - and secret pleasures - it isn't just the highs I love - it's the secrecy - my own world and moments.
My worry is that I'll never give it up because I've become so good at getting away with it - but one thing I've learned in life - you never get away with it

Latest posts

Back