Loneliness is boring as hell

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dexter

Reaction score
Anyone else here feeling bored of all the problems we have to face all the time? (especially things like loneliness, having no friends etc.)

And do you have any tips against the boredom?

Whatever you do, don't go on a youtube binge. Your brain just feels empty afterward ._.

I fixed my ps3 yesterday. Took it all apart, went out and got what I needed to fix it, and put it all back together again. Took up an ok amount of time and I felt accomplished afterwards.

Yeah it is. I started playing an online game a few years ago, it was nice that there were other people on playing it. Then I got into a League in the game and had something to look forward to doing. It's nice to get on and play with people, you get to know them a bit and forget about your problems for awhile.

games are a great escape but they isolate and there's still a stigma attached. That and you can't really talk about games to non-gamers.

I do. I have a friend who isn't into online gaming but is always interested hearing about my game.

I always found games a nice escape from my problems, but when I am not playing I actually kind of worse like I am wasting a lot of my time.

I found out today that cross country skiing is pretty affordable. Where I am, it only cost me $24 for ski rentals & 2 hours (which is PLENTY when you are an unfit potato). If you have access to such an area, it's a good thing to do on your own because instead of looking back on the day with nothing to show for your time, you have the achievement of killing yourself out there and coming back a little more in shape than you were 2 hours ago.
(learn how to stop first tho. >_> )

To kill the boredom, I've also tried reading.. though I find that such solitary activities are hard to focus on, since I'm already focused on being lonely as it is.

I've never had a problem with loneliness being boring. Video games tend to help stave off the boredom, and I occasionally find other activities as well. But the loneliness itself is never really boring, though, because it occupies my mind far too much when I end up focusing on everything I don't have, and how alone I am. So at least when the loneliness is getting to me, I don't just sit there bored.

Loneliness is definitely boring as hell because when I'm truly lonely I don't want to do anything. It's the weirdest contradiction. I'm lonely so I should occupy my mind by doing something. But my mind isn't interested in doing anything.

Ideally distracting yourself momentarily is the best solution. But in the end, it's just the bandaid on the symptom rather than addressing the real problem.

Yes I do, I combat this with avoidance coping; filling my time with pointless activities but that keeps me busy.

Looks like many of you are playing videogames in order to be occupied.
I am sometimes playing them myself and it is definitely a good measure to kill some time.

altghost said:
I found out today that cross country skiing is pretty affordable. Where I am, it only cost me $24 for ski rentals & 2 hours (which is PLENTY when you are an unfit potato). If you have access to such an area, it's a good thing to do on your own because instead of looking back on the day with nothing to show for your time, you have the achievement of killing yourself out there and coming back a little more in shape than you were 2 hours ago.
(learn how to stop first tho. >_> )

Cross country skiing sounds interesting, to bad that there is nothing like this in my area.

lostatsea said:
Loneliness is definitely boring as hell because when I'm truly lonely I don't want to do anything. It's the weirdest contradiction. I'm lonely so I should occupy my mind by doing something. But my mind isn't interested in doing anything.

This is me right now. I'm lonely/bored and unwilling to do anything. I could tidy my house, watch a movie, go for a drive, hell I live beside a PUB! I could actually be out enjoying myself, I could even not be lonely if I wanted as there is a person who wants to spend time with me but I won't let them.

I haven't been able to play computer games for many years and my attention span for books is completely out the window as my mind wonders.

altghost said:
Whatever you do, don't go on a youtube binge. Your brain just feels empty afterward ._.

I wish I could empty my brain of some of the things I've seen there... !

sorry, for once this I can't relate to. When the pain of being lonely gives in a bit (maybe it's the same of what you instead call 'boredom'?!), I am usually busy with music, projects, books, movies, homework, arts and crafts etc, always been even at 15.
video games (unless they are social, that helps a lot) usually make me even more alienated, because I walk away being a better person, unless it was a really really cool video game :) , well, you see what i mean, not if I play for 60 days and 60 nights.

What about (please don't hit me *ducks*) looking at online courses, or even better real life courses, to see if there is something new that you would like to try and that might fill your days with joy? if not sports, building miniature planes, learning languages or skills?
I know it would be better to just not be lonely…

Peaches said:
What about (please don't hit me *ducks*) looking at online courses, or even better real life courses, to see if there is something new that you would like to try and that might fill your days with joy? if not sports, building miniature planes, learning languages or skills?
I know it would be better to just not be lonely…

Hm, let's see.
I am going to university and this semester have been attending to language courses (french and spanish) + Since the beginning of this year I am visiting a gym two times a week.
Yet the boredom mostly appears at the evenings when I am sitting at home, starring into the TV or the computer.

But I am glad that you have enough things to do in order not to be bored :)

Dexter said:
Anyone else here feeling bored of all the problems we have to face all the time? (especially things like loneliness, having no friends etc.)

Yes I do feel lonely from time to time but I can also manage them well.It all depends from person to person.

Dexter said:
And do you have any tips against the boredom?

well there is no clear cut and absolute to this I suppose one has their own own ways to avoid boredom/loneliness

Latest posts

Back