loneliness like addiction?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

i am another lonely person.

...and i heard a doctor speak about addiction the other day.
addiction is a disease, not unlike depression and other mental illnesses, because it changes brain chemistry and/or structure.

now i can't help but think that loneliness changes brains just as much (in fact i'm sure studies have proven this).
in this case, the longer someone is lonely the harder it would be to repair the damage loneliness has done.

therefore, sometimes it really isn't our fault that we can't get out of this cycle of loneliness (most of us are probably clinically depressed, right?). sometimes things need to change outside of us, and not just inside.
we need to go through a period of detoxification (of bad feelings) like an addict, so that we can see clearly. to do this we almost always need professional help, or help from family or another social network (if we are lucky enough to find one).
and then we can go on to recovering from loneliness by being reintegrated into society. like anyone with a disease, we probably will relapse and the effects of loneliness will always be somewhere in us, but for most people, loneliness can be overcome.

as for myself, i am focused on recovering, again, now. i have to make a conscious effort, despite my inner down-talk, to put myself in positions where i have to be in social contact with people (family or acquantance's party's; living with a roommate; speaking in class; working at a job that requires contact with others; going to public lectures/discussions.)
just like an alcoholic is tempted to buy booze, i am tempted to go home and curl up with my cat so that i don't have to explain myself to anyone (i can escape). but we don't really want to escape life, do we?

i agree with u totally ,,, if loneliness will cause damage ( for sure it will ) and change my brain and this sure will change my way of handling things ( this will make me lose more sweet things ) so why i dont change my self  to avoid that , if i anyway will be changed , something is wrong , noone can say all the world is wrong and we r right , we have to change the only wrong that we refuse to change  we dont do it for others we dont for ourselves

iţve read this thread and it made me thinkş am i alreadz addicted on loneliness...i think i am! i just need someone to see me for who i really am!

i agree totally. loneliness can in fact be very comforting but the longer you wallow in loneliness the more difficult it is to break the cycle.

but do you really want to break the cycle..i just can't stop thinking

guys!i was saying the same thing to myself this morning! i a %100 agree with you! the more you stay lonely the more damage take place till you reach to point where there's no return!! :( :(

WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE SO DIFFICULT? how are we supposed to know what is better? and how we have to act each day?

angeLLblueshadow said:
WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE SO DIFFICULT? how are we supposed to know what is better? and ho wwe have to act each day?

because of us`humans` ! we're sooo complicated machines, it takes long long time for us to adapt with ourselves!

oh i see, so we pertty much are quite stupid! :D NO OFENSE TO ANYBODY! (just a joke to make us feel better about ourselves!) :p

I agree with this thread, it seems as time passes I get more lonely and get more scared to go out and try to overcome this. I try to over come it in the past but it is just to hard. :/

Melancholy is addictive and people who have experienced loneliness would attest to that. Loneliness can alter the way a person normally functions and always leads to depression . It can impair a persons ability to make sound decisions as well as disrupt a persons ability to care for himself such as eating less, sleeping less (insomnia) or more (hypersomnia), not bathing, etc. depression is harmful which is why its treated in medical institutions.

I too suffer from depression brought about by loneliness. I was recently left by my fiancee, I live half a world away from my immediate family whom I haven't seen in years, I have friends fewer than the fingers I have on one hand.

I'm a graduate nurse and part of the Health Care Delivery Team. However, I consider myself as a patient as well....my own patient. I cant let my feelings interfere with my profession so I simply suppress the feeling. Its difficult but day by day I become more and more desensitized to the feeling of loneliness. I am developing a very blunted affect...and yes I am becoming rather addicted to the feeling of loneliness. I am my own patient whom I can do nothing to help.

Latest posts

Back