Lonely is Good

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That does sound good.
I, on the other hand, have no purpose.
Thanks, I'm blessed because of my specific purpose. Blessed because my specific purpose is intertwined with my dream having come true. At the same time, I sympathize for you that you have not found your purpose yet. Finding one's purpose is usually difficult, because you have to determine who you are as a person. I'm blessed because I finally know how my emotions work, and why I think the way I do.

The reason I introduced this thread is because of the general negativity I see directed at the lonely life. That is, most people are blind to the benefits of Solitude.
Usually, Solitude is the only way to develop one's spirituality. When one meditates, one has to be free from distractions, which is extremely difficult if one lives in a metropolitan area. That's why those who are serious about meditation, go on so-called retreats where they are isolated from the city. Seen in that light, lonely is good.

Overstimulation is poison--so part of getting good benefits from being alone in solitude is to avoid overstimulation. For most of us, overstimulation comes from being slaves to electronic media, social media. Don't get me wrong, I'm not condemning the internet. After all, the internet makes communication much better than without. But most people spend so much time on the internet that it becomes extremely excessive. It can become so overstimulating that it becomes stressful.
At that point, we can see that spending time alone is a relief, that is, spending time away from all the electronic media. In that state of solitude, we can finally get in tune with ourselves. At that point, we can find out who we are. Because each person is an individual, completely different from anyone else.

Sometimes a convincing way of showing the benefits of living alone in solitude is by showing an actual video of a Hermit. I think his language is Russian so the video has captions.

A lot of people enjoy solitude; and feel quite connected through it, and conversely, perhaps quite disconnected without their solitude.

It doesn't mean it's a better way to live, just a different way. Might be better for some, might not. Some choose it, some don't. Some have little choice but to embrace it. Some may come to terms with it, others may struggle with it.

Sounds like you yourself want life in the forest wilderness. Have you actually tried it?

No, I am very ill person, so that is not possible in real life. But if I was healthy , I would live in forest (off grid life) and make myself self sustainable farm. That stuff is popular in North America, but not so much in Europe. I get turn on a lot by idea of off grid life however.

Good topic. Embrace solitude. It's how we use our lone time that matters. Beer, YouTube and couch are not the answer. Though I am occasionally guilty of that.
Treat being alone as an opportunity rather than a problem.

No, I am very ill person, so that is not possible in real life. But if I was healthy , I would live in forest (off grid life) and make myself self sustainable farm. That stuff is popular in North America, but not so much in Europe. I get turn on a lot by idea of off grid life however.
You say you would definitely like off-grid life--but say that you are unable to do it because of your ill- health. Actually the opposite, on the contrary---off-grid would actually help and benefit poor health because those with unhealthy respiratory problems would then get the advantage of the clean air in the off-grid environment. Compare that with the city life and air-pollution. Seen in that light, off-grid would be better for your health.

You say you would definitely like off-grid life--but say that you are unable to do it because of your ill- health. Actually the opposite, on the contrary---off-grid would actually help and benefit poor health because those with unhealthy respiratory problems would then get the advantage of the clean air in the off-grid environment. Compare that with the city life and air-pollution. Seen in that light, off-grid would be better for your health.
Off grid doesn't have to mean "city life" and it does mean that if he needs help and services not offered to those who live off grid.

I never got into that off-grid stuff.
It seems like all it does is replace having to work, with the constant job of doing everything you have to do to survive.
You don't get any more free time to actually live your life, in fact, you get less.
And you don't get less stress, but instead you get more.
It always seemed like cutting off your nose to spite your face, to me.

I never really wanted to be a hermit.
I want to be successful, I just don't know where/what I can be successful doing.

I'd love to go off grid, deep into the forest to lose my mind and find my soul .... there'll be girls right?

I'd love to go off grid, deep into the forest to lose my mind and find my soul .... there'll be girls right?
To answer your question, I remember watching a video where a married couple went off-the-grid together. So yes, in that case the man had a lady with him.

Latest posts

Back