lonely summers

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

troubled

when everyone else is enjoying themselves.. i always feel like the only person in the world who is lonely.

Nope. You have company. :( I have one very close friend who I do quite a lot of things with, but that just does not satisfy the yearning to belong to some big group who has cookouts, or goes to festivals/concerts, bonfires--whatever. That kind of fun just can't be duplicated with one person. I miss those times during the summer more so than any other time of the year. Definite summer blues.

The summers are less depressing for me, even though I'm lonely I feel that it's so much easier to deal with things when it's bright, beautiful and warm outside. The winters up here are incredibly cold and it's dark for the better part of the day, which truly makes me feel alone and isolated. So I'm really happy that spring is finally here.

I feel exactly the same as you about the summer. I feel so much more lonely as most people are out enjoying themselves in the sun and I dont have anyone to do those things with. Yes I have a few friends, but they have their own partners to do stuff with so I only see them about once a month for a get together and thats the highlight of my social life at the moment.

My partner and I split up in November and its now that it hurts the most because it is light nights and I envy other people with partners who can go for nice drives in the summer evenings or go to a bar for a drink or a simple stroll in a park hand in hand. The sooner the summer is over the better for me.

troubled said:
when everyone else is enjoying themselves.. i always feel like the only person in the world who is lonely.

Why don't you do something about it then? Instead of sitting about and watching everyone else enjoy themsleves - do something fun yourself. If you do something fun and enjoyable then there won't be any room for sadness or envy.

Get out in the sun, go the park, you might even meet people there! :)

Summer is the time for smiles...so get smiling and start doing!

troubled said:
hey, i so wish it was that simple to change. i do things like the park often, but i dont see how i can meet anyone really. a friend of mine lives all the way in london, and others are at uni/have their own lives. in fact i'm stressed out about sorting uni and finding part time work. so far it's all worry and loneliness :(

It can be that simple to change if you let it be, and if you just start being more proactive about it.

Where are you applying to uni? That will be a great way to meet people too!

I know what you mean! I always love the summer because of the nice weather, but you see so many people walking around laughing and having fun you get all depressed that you dont have that.:(

The good feeling i get from the bright weather gets counteracted by seeing other people being happy with their friends, lol.

I know the feeling. I embrace it. I will kayak at night into the river, when no one else is out. And just stop, a look at the stars...

troubled said:
Ursus Veritas said:
I know the feeling. I embrace it. I will kayak at night into the river, when no one else is out. And just stop, a look at the stars...

that sounds like a dream, where do you live?

i'm gonna look if they do a cookery course (or anything) at my local college.. maybe some young people there. maybe try a sports club again. i kinda feel its come to the point where i just have to do everything i can.

I live in a small town in Ontario, Canada. Maybe this summer i'll be brave and bring a camera out. Or at least a waterproof throwaway camera. Its a great feat. But it really puts you down to size, and you realize how small you really are. Its scary, even more so since you on a small kayak.

I think I shall immerse myself in summer classes because there's no one and nothing else to spend my summer with.

hellopanda said:
I think I shall immerse myself in summer classes because there's no one and nothing else to spend my summer with.

There are tons of things. Jobs and Volunteering (Trust me a great way to meet people) for one are two great one.

i remember when i was in high school during the summer i just sat in my room playing super nintendo all day. i got so ridiculous at super mario kart that it was... well ridiculous. yea, those summers sucked.

Ursus Veritas said:
troubled said:
Ursus Veritas said:

that sounds like a dream, where do you live?

i'm gonna look if they do a cookery course (or anything) at my local college.. maybe some young people there. maybe try a sports club again. i kinda feel its come to the point where i just have to do everything i can.

I live in a small town in Ontario, Canada. Maybe this summer i'll be brave and bring a camera out. Or at least a waterproof throwaway camera. Its a great feat. But it really puts you down to size, and you realize how small you really are. Its scary, even more so since you on a small kayak.

What is the town called? the most amazing person i ever talked to was from a small town in ontario. i miss her now :(

troubled said:

I feel like that too often. Spashley in the summer.
I have no advice. just wonted to add at lest your not alone in feeling like that even if we are physically alone.

Mike Moose said:
Summer is here and seeing couples walking hand in hand is just a making so jealous..all the girls look beautiful and I feel like Gollum as I crawl back into the darkness..bah!! **** you world!!

ahhh gollumness is something we share, i'm afraid :/

I am usually too busy trying to keep my kids entertained to be too lonely during the summer. I am thankful every day for my kids. Without them, I'd really be a mess.

Eh... Summers are bad for only one thing - the weather. I just hate when I wake up in the morning with the sun blasting into my face. I prefer the clouded calmness which autumn brings.

Beside that, summer is not so special. It's good to plan ahead, set some goals for yourself. For example, I'm gonna try and teach myself several songs on a piano. Also I have some books I bought and just can't start them. The key is to find some solitary activities.

As for loneliness... It's not very different than any other time of the year. Maybe a little bit too 'cheesy' for my liking, but I can handle that. Also I sometimes miss my classmates. Even if they are not very close to me, I'm still able to communicate at least minimally during school year. In the summer they have no business contacting me, and likewise I don't want to burden them; it would just be pointless.

troubled said:

I am in the same boat as you. It's so painful for me to watch happy couples, or families, enjoying each others company and smiling and laughing. I've been alone pretty much all my life, and I am 45 and just plain tired. Why didn't any of my dreams come true? I'm a great woman, but people can be so cruel. I will be your friend.

i'm lonely this summer too, your not alone:) hope it gets better for you

Latest posts

Back