Long distance dating- what do you think?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lonely in BC

BC is in a pretty great place lately :)

In the past if you'd asked me if a long distance relationship was a possibility my response would have been one of deep skepticism, possibly even sarcasm....

Lately though, my opinion has changed.

I've found something pretty unique. What started out as an appreciation of an upbeat attitude has grown into a mutual respect and admiration. A sense of togetherness even while apart. Shared values. And the desire (and making a realistic plan) for a future...

Feel free to share your thoughts. I'm liking where mine are at. Interesting how the right person at the right time can change things.

Lonely in BC said:
A sense of togetherness even while apart. Shared values. And the desire (and making a realistic plan) for a future...

I think that's what it's all about. Whether you're a room apart, or if you're 3000 miles away from each other, that sense of togetherness is what keeps people together. I find it odd how I have friends that I grew up with and I could talk to them today just like we used to way back when. Even if we haven't talked in 5+ years, we can still talk like a beat was never missed.

Well my own experience was pretty bad. Lived with someone for a year, till she went to visit home and just decided to stay there, gradually phase you out, see someone else, that sort of thing. One of you really has to be willing to give up everything and relocate, or else theres going to be problems in the long run. These things tend to come and go, unless you really know what you're doing, and theres no guarantees. Theres a good chance a long distance thing won't be exclusive, as it is very easy to see someone outside of your penpal relations.

As long as you will eventually meet or live together in one place. But love or that mutual liking or relationship, whichever way you find it, as long as it will develop you both into better persons together, is always something to be happy and thankful about. I'm on your side on that, Lonely. Good luck and keep being happy :)

What I've found in most long distance relationships is that you need trust between both parties, granted most of mine have failed but if you can make it work then all the more power to ya. Good luck. :)

It worked out in my case. Im married to some I met online and we are really happy. We were long distance for 2.5 years.

I think it can definitely work, but it takes commitment and people who can be happy without much physical affection. I've known several couples who met on forums or online communities who are now offline couples.

A LDR in which both people will eventually be real life dating..maybe...if anything. I just don't understand how someone could be happy being far away from someone they really care about without meeting. It drove me nuts...yes...I have done it! Only to find out he wasn't what I thought he was irl lol. Umm.. so would I do it again? idk... but it'd be starting off as friends only IRL for sure when meeting..

Seems difficult to me and probably not fair for either person.

I've had my fair share of LDR.. but can't say something happened out of them. People are able to make it though. I remember an English boy/American girl that met up after chatting for 2 years and are now married in England.

Thank's to each of you for your input :)

Jales- that's inspiring. I'm happy things worked out well for you and any tips you might have would be appreciated. The two of us have pretty good imaginations and have found various ways to share our enthusiasm.

Okiedokes- part of the happiness for us is in making a plan to get together. We've set a date in the not to far off future to meet- I think that our life experiences (we're both in our 40's- 45 year old teen in my case) have allowed us to find patience and anticipation that we (me for sure) wouldn't have had 5, 10, or more years ago.

Tealeaf- funny enough it's partly a desire for physical affection that has us as enamoured as we are. When we first exchanged messages (I initiated it) it was simply because I appreciated the very upbeat nature in her words- I don't know if this makes sense but I felt a warmth in her writing. As messages exchanged there were physical responses to each others words based on many different emotions and experiences. We've both realized that we seek a relationship that encompasses mutual mental, emotional, spiritual, and physical support. Loners (as we both are) find it so difficult to meet someone due to shyness, insecurity, etc., being able to be so open and forthright first in our messages and now in phone conversations has set a great groundwork for when we are together. I'm currently getting a lot of exercise (swimming, hiking, etc.) to burn off the excess energy that comes about from thoughts of her.

Floffyschneeman- yes, there is a plan in the works to be together in one place. She was making a plan to head in this direction and when we stumbled upon each other I somehow became a part of the plan. It's kind of amusing to me how my offer to be a bit of a tour guide in a certain part of the country led to me becoming not only a part of the tour but a destination as well :D

Phaedron- your comments are valued as well- the giving up everything and be willing to locate just happened to be part of her plan anyway. Since she's got an adventurous spirit there's a whole world of possibility open to us. I live in the kind of place she was hoping to find so that parts pretty easy. I understand there are no guarantees regarding a relationship starting this way but I've also learned there's no guarantee to more traditional ways of starting relationships. The really cool thing about what we've started is the complete openness we have with each other- we've been able to share things that I don't think either one of us would have admitted to had we bumped into each other in a more traditional way.

I.N.- yes, trust is a big part of relationships and this is something that we've freely given each other. I refuse to start having a suspicious nature- just gotta have faith! No, I'm not naive, I'm just not going to waste my time thinking about negativity any more and I see the same quality in her.

V.C.- your comments on togetherness are reassuring. We just have so much in common it's mind blowing. I'm comfortable knowing that we don't have to be together every second of the day but when we are together it's going to be about us. I'd honestly be concerned if someone coming into my life had no goals or ambition, that's something that's not an issue here and I'm quite happy to be supportive while she reaches for her brass ring.

I kind of suspect that in the next year B.C. going to have to consider something other than a funky motorhome in an RV park to live in. Maybe I'll have to build a shed for an addition (lol).

Been there twice.

My first relationship was technically long distance. The Girl (of whom I still rarely talk to these days) asked me out. We made plans to meet but they never came to fruition as at the time we were both young (Me - 17) (Her - 15)

My second and longest relationship to date was with the French Girl I have spoken of quite a bit on here (I think) We met on a website known as Japan Guide. I've not been on the site in well over a year. But I'm sure the first messages we ever sent to eachother are still on there. She basically wanted to learn English and I wanted to learn Japanese. But I still spoke to others who wanted to talk. After months and months of talking (about 4) she wanted to go out with me so I said okay.

A plan was made for her to visit on New Years Eve of 2010. But then 2 weeks before Christmas it changed.. To her visiting from Boxing Day until Jan 10th 2011. That was by far the best Christmas & New Years I have ever had. Shame we broke up in May 2011 suddenly for little reason. To this day, I think she left me for someone else, but was too spineless to just admit it. So she manipulated me and made me paranoid which caused tension between us. My 'Friends' didn't help either. Some of them only made things worse by taking sides. We broke up due to me being 'Distant' and stuff and then 2 days later she was going out with and claimed to love someone else. Didn't stop me spending a whole week with help from some of mine and her friends to sort things out. In the end, her own friends said she isn't worth it as she has done that in the past with boys. Now she has an account on a game I play, but she hasn't been on for months. If she does come on again, I'll not have anything to say to her.

Anyway! Life story aside, I think that long distance relationships are perfectly fine. Although they are awkward to introduce to the family (for me anyway)

It can work, provided you both are equally committed to the relationship, are honest, and as previous posters have mentioned, that you trust each other. Mine has worked out, I'm married now, but even during the times we have a long distance marriage we still have the same closeness and commitment we did when we first started our relationship.

But, as others have said, you will at some point have to make the decision on who moves to be with whom. I think there has to be an actual manifestation of a future together for things to work out in the longer term - a LDR should only be as temporary as circumstances permit.

Id be OK with it, as long as I got to see the person every three or four months. I don't think I could talk to someone on line for two or three years and never actually meet them.

blackdot said:
I tried long distance dating once.
Turns out she was already married.

I have two friends who were in a relationship. Turns out he was already married and expecting with his wife. I felt so heartbroken for her. She's such a good person and friend. I'm not sure if they still talk or what, but they were long distance. She was actually asking me about the US, as she wanted to move to be with him.

It doesn't always work out, but that could be said for online or offline relationships.

Depends on how you really connect with the person.
Truth and honesty is important.
If you are really into a person, it might could be worth it.

Blue_Eyed_Symphony said:
Depends on how you really connect with the person.
Truth and honesty is important.
If you are really into a person, it might could be worth it.

Every day the connection grows,

deeper, yes, beyond measure.

The honesty only brings us closer.

Worth it doesn't begin to describe it, so far beyond that!

She's........amazing!

;) Wow.

^Congrats BC :)

I'd say anything is possible in terms of two people finding each other, but there's probably a greater chance of success if they're both already living in the same country or continent.

You need to be able to dedicate yourself to it. If you can't do so, don't punish the lover by promising what you cannot deliver.

Latest posts

Back