Lost Keys

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 135067

Reaction score
Wanting to pass on an alternative to the expensive process of replacing transponder keys.

We bought a 2011 Escape. It came with only one key. Lose it and it's a world of expensive hurt to get to use the car again.

Ford will not provide keys for cars more than 10 years old. We didn't have the option. Just as well. They will charge a small fortune.

I found Tom's Keys.

We wanted three keys so I paid $50 for a second transponder blank. I ordered the unit that programs a second key as long as you have one. If you have two working keys there is an easy method to make a third, but we only had the one. The kit is $100 and comes with one transponder key. It takes about 10 minutes to program with the Simple Key unit.

In 20 minutes I made two extra keys at a cost of $150. If Ford had let me order new keys the two might have been well over $600.

I got lucky getting the blanks cut. A Lowes employ was leaving his job and said they could fire him if they wanted. Against company policy he cut my transponder blanks. Think about it... why would any company risk a bad cut and be responsible for replacing a $50 transponder blank for a few dollars sale?

I recommend you use Tom's Keys method of "cut from a photo" option and have the keys delivered ready to program.

It worked. No more fret of losing the only key.

I hope this helps someone.

I find Ford customer service to be shitty.... I have a slightly newer Escape than you. I have two keys though. Lost one of them for a while, but I eventually found it, now the second is securely placed in my house, so it can't get lost. lol

I've had my Escape for three years now. I never really loved it, I settled because it was in my price range and it was in good condition. I want the car I traded in back.

I find Ford customer service to be shitty.... I have a slightly newer Escape than you. I have two keys though. Lost one of them for a while, but I eventually found it, now the second is securely placed in my house, so it can't get lost. lol

I've had my Escape for three years now. I never really loved it, I settled because it was in my price range and it was in good condition. I want the car I traded in back.
A transponder blank can be bought for a few dollars on Amazon. I recommend not going cheap.

If you have a blank and two keys the car can program the blank with no further expense.

I like the Escape. But I'm a truck mentality. It's more truck than car. It's in great shape. If not for the blemishes in the paint it might pass for new... or nearly new.

Honestly I liked the styling of the 60s and 70s more. Geeze everything today looks like everything else. But it's not practical to drive a fifty or sixty year old car. Then there is the issue of having to pay $100k for a car that was $2,500 new. Damned rich people have priced the classics out of the average reality.

What did you trade in?

The car I have now is the same car my husband bought for my birthday when we first married. Anyway, the one key either got blown away or was lost in the damage of a tornado. I was going to get another one but 8 years ago when this all happened it would've cost me $250. I opted out and now I always leave the keys in the car so I know where they are. Is this stupid? According to some yes, but I still have the car so apparently they are not desirable.

The car I have now is the same car my husband bought for my birthday when we first married. Anyway, the one key either got blown away or was lost in the damage of a tornado. I was going to get another one but 8 years ago when this all happened it would've cost me $250. I opted out and now I always leave the keys in the car so I know where they are. Is this stupid? According to some yes, but I still have the car so apparently they are not desirable.
A word of caution. Insurance will not settle if the key was left in the car.

You might have someone put in a kill switch. It's a secret button that needs to be on for the car to run. They might steal your keys, but you'll still have the car. :)

A word of caution. Insurance will not settle if the key was left in the car.
I know about the insurance and I might be more concerned if I actually paid for the car or if I was in an area where auto theft was an actual issue. Im more worried about a stray cat using it for a nap and me not realizing until I get down the road (this has actually happened) than I am someone stealing it. When this old girl gives out and I get another car then I will have 2 keys again and I won't do this, maybe. It is just a car though.

A Saab 9-7x. It was literally the only car I have ever fell in love with at first sight. I loved everything about it.
How'd you go from Saab to Ford seems like a major downgrade. No wonder you want it back. My sister went from BMW (shitty cars, my opinion) to a Toyota and she felt regretted it.

How'd you go from Saab to Ford seems like a major downgrade. No wonder you want it back. My sister went from BMW (shitty cars, my opinion) to a Toyota and she felt regretted it.
The upkeep was too expensive. They don't make the parts anymore. I didn't trust it after having timing belt issues two hours south of where I live. And I still owed more than I could pay off and the dealership I went to said they would give me what I owe for it (without tacking anything on to the Escape) and nowhere else would even come close. So I essentially took what they had in my price range. lol

The upkeep was too expensive. They don't make the parts anymore. I didn't trust it after having timing belt issues two hours south of where I live. And I still owed more than I could pay off and the dealership I went to said they would give me what I owe for it (without tacking anything on to the Escape) and nowhere else would even come close. So I essentially took what they had in my price range. lol
That makes sense. My sister had some issues with her BMW and she hasn't had one since then. Ive never owned a high end car but I'll drive them when given the chance. Im a Honda girl. Had a 2002 Honda accord that I sold for 1000 bucks, the thing had 296,000 miles on it. Never drove a Saab though Ive always liked them.

That makes sense. My sister had some issues with her BMW and she hasn't had one since then. Ive never owned a high end car but I'll drive them when given the chance. Im a Honda girl. Had a 2002 Honda accord that I sold for 1000 bucks, the thing had 296,000 miles on it. Never drove a Saab though Ive always liked them.
I had a BMW and it was one of my favs. The main parts of the engine, transmission, and rear end were bullet proof. Everything else was crap. But, I can fix crap so it worked out well for me. :) For others it's like the Ford acronym (Fix Or Rebuild Daily) which gets expensive. Ha! ha! I replaced the head gaskets at 140,000 miles. The cylinder walls looked brand new. I was amazed. I drove the car over 140mph several times.

I had a BMW and it was one of my favs. The main parts of the engine, transmission, and rear end were bullet proof. Everything else was crap. But, I can fix crap so it worked out well for me. :) For others it's like the Ford acronym (Fix Or Rebuild Daily) which gets expensive. Ha! ha! I replaced the head gaskets at 140,000 miles. The cylinder walls looked brand new. I was amazed. I drove the car over 140mph several times.
Oh yeah her first one would go but I never went over 115 in anything. I think that’s the fastest I can handle. I’m ballsy but I know my limits. I had a maxima that would do 115 easily. Anyway, she never let me drive the second one because I spilled vomit in the first one when I had it one night.

Latest posts

Back