Making art with or without muse?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apathy

Reaction score
Hi there, i've been having a bit of trouble with a particular problem that keeps recurring. There hasn't been much to do and it's the holidays. I've finally gotten most of the school year's work done and finally finally finaaally i can do what i want to do - make art. The problem is, i feel incompetent because i haven't been focusing on my art at all. Kinda repressed and suppressed my desires, but now i want to let it all out.... I've even seriously thought and decided that i want to do art after high school. I know that i can do anything if i put my mind to it as i've demonstrated it from working through all the honeysuckle in school.

I take art class in school but we really do not learn anything from the teacher. She gives an assignment theme and we make art. I've come to realized that all my art-making comes from sudden, impromptu ideas or built-up emotions. I've never actually sat down and did art for the sake of improving the technical aspects. Now that i have all this time and resolve, i sit my ass down wanting to create.... but **** it, i'm not inspired. Where is my muse... i think to myself. Frustration.. frustration.

The problem is, i don't want to make art without my muse because the finished work would be empty in my eyes, and i'd hate it. Yet another part of me knows that if i don't start improving, i'd be way behind others if i do get into art school. Sure, my teacher has commended me in my art work etc but i need to feel it for myself, to be able to confidently say to myself and others that i'm proud of my skills. But i don't feel that way at the moment.

How can i improve on my skills if my muse doesn't come along... ? It's not an excuse, i really do want to improve on my skills but painting pretentiously is something i can't do.

Best way I jump start my creative juices is by going someplace I've never been. Try and take everything in with all your senses. Experience something new. Not sure if that is an option but it's worth a shot.

I'm a writer, not an artist, but this may be somewhat helpful.

Keep a notebook(or a scrapbook) and just jot down whatever comes to mind, whatever that is interesting or special or vaguely catches your attention. I'm sure that you can find all sorts of random things that hold your enthusiasm for a few minutes - the magic is putting it down in ink before it escapes you.

Eventually, you'll find that you've collected a rather significant portion of basically, yourself, and a vast store to draw ideas from. It is pretty much a kind of inspiration, and you'll be able to discover a genuine sense of your soul in your work there. In fact, from your own peculiar expression, you should even be able to capture the exact emotional state you felt /at/ the moment you put it down. That's invaluable.

Insofar as the technical aspects, then, just practice those. Obviously they're not going to be as heartfelt, but stay focused on the knowledge that it'll help you express your grand idea once you have it.

Your dreams and your innate creativity will provide you with the materials; your skills and knowledge will be the tools - with both, you can craft something of genuine beauty and quality.

Hope it helps.

PS: Also do things that will help you get ideas; this depends on the person. As a writer, I try to read widely and expose myself to different literature. My artistic friends appear to do something similar, and spend a lot of time on places like DeviantArt, etc.

thanks for the advice guys.
I know that I should get out of my comfort zone and do things but my opportunities are limited at the moment and so, I can only take baby steps in that aspect. grr.. It's just not enough. I've gotten quite sick on focusing on the negative, so far my art revolves around negativity.

ignoredone, thanks for the advice too. haha, actually i've already been keeping a tiny sketchbook with me at most times. I've been focusing too much on myself, my thoughts and emotions. Yes, it is a beautiful thing to capture the particular emotion that I was experiencing at that exact moment. But I've been having this inexplicable desire to connect with others, expressing what's inside of them as I do to myself. I doubt that would happen anytime soon though since I'm pretty much isolated from the people around me. I thought that maybe through art, I could connect with others by expressing the unspoken but yet having a universal theme. So, I could work hard now and focus on the thought that I'm doing it all so that one day I can connect with others much easier. Yep, I'll remember my end goal.

how do I get inspired... by digging into others' minds and then finding out that I'm not the only person who holds onto a particular idea. problem is, its kinda creepy to some which they'd remark to be too intense. lots of my ideas come from the thought that we're all interconnected. how ironic it is that I'm so isolated. Welp, time to get down to work, nothing will change until I do. I'd probably get my inspiration from analyzing fictional characters and books since they're just there for me to deconstruct, figure out and recognize the beauty in them. I find it quite sad that people can be incredibly close but feel extremely far apart, or maybe its just me. I wish they'd let me see the beauty in them, through the bad and the good. I guess I'm weird like that. someone once told me that free-writing was good for getting my thoughts together, but I guess I'll stop now.. hehe.. =)

I agree with FunkyBuddha, going to places that you've never been in before brings lots of inspiration. I had such an experience, it worked wonders for my creativity. Sadly, now that I've almost been in any place that I could go (in the city I live in), I can't feel that anymore.

If that doesn't work, draw inspiration from something else associated with art. Music, illustrations, literature, etc. I always listen to music when I draw something, ALWAYS.

And of course, show your work to others. Even if they criticize you, use that as your advantage to improve.

apathy said:
But I've been having this inexplicable desire to connect with others, expressing what's inside of them as I do to myself. I doubt that would happen anytime soon though since I'm pretty much isolated from the people around me. I thought that maybe through art, I could connect with others by expressing the unspoken but yet having a universal theme.

This may be a bit odd. Have you heard of sacred geometery and The Golden Mean? You might find it interesting (by the way you talk) Leonardo da Vinci used it. It's in nature.
[video=youtube]
[video=youtube]

Argent: Haha, i would go out and explore but not in this neighborhood. Suburban areas sort of bore me, just rows of houses along a street. It all seems rather unnatural and.. gives me a weird feeling. As if i were living in a plastic world, which i do i guess.. to some extent. I've always had this thought of just.. exploring places of nature, unperturbed by the city and being in solitude. Having that little quiet area where you can just relax, crawl about in the mud and just really observe everything around me. Yup, literature and music seems to always spark an idea for me.
Ah yeah, that's another thing. There's no one around that would do that... there are pretty much two types of responses I would get whenever i do show my work to others. The first response wouldn't really be much of a response, maybe a "Er.. okay? *goes off to rant about their own lives*" or the second response, "Oh good work there, that's nice."

But.. nice is such a weak word to me. Sort of like a standard reply... they don't tell me why they like it, what they don't like about it or in what ways i could improve on my work.

Naleena: Ah, that's fascinating! Come to think of it, my math teacher did mention fibonacci numbers and the beauty of phi and i don't think anyone in the class paid much attention then <__< ~ Thank you for that, i've had a bit of trouble with drawing the body with the right proportions. Using the golden ratio would do the trick, now to practice. Hehe, anymore interesting stuff to share?! Oh, and i realized that you're an INFP! I'm an INTP. You know about Jung, then? =D Apparently, he was fond of mandalas.. which has to do with the golden ratio. I've been looking up on the internet all about it, trying to link these two ideas together.. hm.

I live in a suburban area too. I had to walk miles through the city to find inspirational places. =) However if I feel the place I walked through being not safe, I always step back and find another route. Just to warn you whether you get in such a situation.

As for showing your own works, you don't have to do it locally. You can show your works online too, in sites like deviantart, sheezyart or elfwood if you are into fantasy and sci-fi.

Argent: Yeap, you're right. I guess i do make up lots of excuses to not venture out of my comfort zone, so i tend to get inspired by the imagination, from films, books and music. If i was back home, i'd go to the beach where i'd feel safe. I get anxious when i'm not in a familiar place, and am alone. -__- Which most of the time, i am. Haha, you're right.. Might as well get on deviantart.

Art can also be an extention of one's current emotion. Some make art because they we're inspired by a person, event, or things. But sometimes, one can make something out of nothingness. When you don't think and just try to grasp for as long as you can, the feelings you are feeling and let it move you. Then, you might come up with a poem, a drawing, a painting, a song, an installation, or even a performance art. Sure you cant say you've improved you sketching or blending colors skill, but your ability to tap what you are feeling at a certain moment and express it to create something beyond your current emotions, then that's a meaningful art.

Some great artists are known for their technical ability like Albrecht Dürer, but what makes an art piece a good art piece is its ability to evoke emotions, and what makes a good artist a good artist is his ability to express emotions, regardless of what emotion would that be.

I personally think you don't necessarily need a muse to create your work or to make it meaningful. Start out simple, a walk or a silent moment with a cup of tea to make you think and just feel, that can sometimes help you in tapping those buried and repressed emotions that would aid you in creating something meaningful to you but could also affect others who would view it.

Don't think when you don't need to and just let your emotions carry you to making your art work :)

Good luck and art work pics after, please :D

"Of late I saw my muse again - wasting away in a land where inspiration itself draws from despair".

This line I once thought of pretty much sums up my creative process.. I used to have some inspiration (god knows where the f. that came from though..) but it's been getting less and less, and now I'm hardly able to even write 2 inspired consecutive sentences..
Even when I'm inspired, it usually fades away after a few sentences, which is a shame.

Vagrant Legacy: That happens to me as well. But our reasons for that might differ, for me.. i just put myself down. Telling myself that my art would be nothing. Sure, it's somewhat therapeutic to create something tangible from negative emotions etc. However, after the work's been done and all - it's like looking in a mirror and not liking what you see. Since it would only remind me of my predicament, i tell myself that there's really no point in even attempting to express myself through art or anything else for that matter. That's been my problem i guess, something that i'm trying to correct by not wallowing in my own 'narcissism'. Truth be told, i've been reflecting on a lot lately and i've realized how narcissistic i really am. (Not in a "I'm so gorgeous, look at me everybody!" way but in a self-deprecating, "why do i feel so much like an alien?" way.) And because i keep thinking that i'm so much different from others, i end up alone - it's almost a self-fulfilling prophecy. Something that i'm changing.

floffyschneeman: "Art can also be an extention of one's current emotion. "
Mm hm, that's exactly it. To evoke emotions in others, i want to make art that doesn't just speak to myself but others as well. I've been feeling quite depressed lately because of my inability to communicate with others not only in everyday life but through my art as well. I think maybe i've been focusing too much on my negative emotions. What Vagrant Legacy said over there rings true to me, "Of late I saw my muse again - wasting away in a land where inspiration itself draws from despair".

Despair, despair... but the beauty of it is that i'm sure that some of these experiences that i've perceived to be negative, might be universal to all. If i made the effort to merge my experience with these universal truths, then surely i can express these beautiful ideas well enough.. to be understood by others as well. Perhaps this has been my mistake, not being able to let myself be understood while thinking that it is the fault of others, for not being able to understand me.
Instead of mulling over "what is not", or how empty my life is.. i should really do something about it. And i'll start doing something about it through my art first. =D Haha yeah, i'll post it on here when i'm done i guess.

Latest posts

Back