Man logic vs woman "logic"

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well take the aspect of Depression for example. That mental illness is expressed in different ways in men vs women, and also expressed in different ways cross-culturally.

For women, we tend to ruminate and cry when we are depressed.

For men, they tend to ACT OUT, when they get depressed. They become violent or turn to drugs to cope with those negative emotions.

It's the same disease! Only it gets expressed in different ways.

Also, cross-culturally depression is expressed differently.

For native americans it is described as "broken heartedness"

and in Latin-American countries depression gets expressed as feelings in the body when people describe it to their physicians.

Same thing, different ways of expressing it...

Just because it gets expressed differently doesn't mean it isn't the same thing or that one expression is better or less than another.

Okay, I gotta agree with some of the others, putting "logic" was not the best idea. Though the OP seems to be blowing off some steam.

I did a little research, and the fact is that there are differences between how our (men and women) brains function. We process certain things differently thus our logic and reasoning are different. Women tend to be more emotional, it's due to them having a larger deep limbic system. Men process stress differently than women and we also process pain differently. Women are prone to more emotional shifts during "their time of the month" which make them more emotional during that time. Women also tend to communicate more effectively than men and use more non verbal cues where men typically need more verbal cues.

Sci-Fi said:
I did a little research, and the fact is that there are differences between how our (men and women) brains function. We process certain things differently thus our logic and reasoning are different. Women tend to be more emotional, it's due to them having a larger deep limbic system. Men process stress differently than women and we also process pain differently. Women are prone to more emotional shifts during "their time of the month" which make them more emotional during that time. Women also tend to communicate more effectively than men and use more non verbal cues where men typically need more verbal cues.

I don't think these differences make people of one gender less than or better than the other gender though, right?

I wouldn't say men "tend" to get violent or shoot drugs when depressed, Its not the standard response. That seems to be the gender stereotype you previously wanted to dismiss?

The fact both genders feel a full range of emotions is I think a given, the fact that they deal with them in different ways seems again to suggest a gender gap does exist either from birth or social expectation.

We seem to have crossed over and now arguing against each other's original points!

I think my point would be there is some broad frame work of peoples psyche you can build based on their gender but given the complexity and individuality of the average persons mind it becomes largely irrelevant.

I am for instance an (overly) emotional person that likes to discuss issues and work them through, my ex was a very guarded person who had great difficulty i nexpressing her emotions, its what finally finished us and we'd both admitted to this. Which probably contravenes the stereotype of gender, we were the exact opposites to what you'd expet from our gender. So broad gender (and cultural as you mention) traits might exist but are of little use in the real world to understanding what makes someone tick.

SophiaGrace said:
I don't think these differences make people of one gender less than or better than the other gender though, right?

No it doesn't, not in my opinion. Others think differently though.

SophiaGrace said:
whispers said:
mens reasonning is very practical, lets fix it, lets find a solution.
Woman reasonning,let me get it off my chest, let me think it thrue and then ill do something about it if needed.

Perfect ballance, since both ways are good or bad depending in the situation

I have to say that what you did right now is qualified as a woman action... you just had to let it off your chest. lol just teasing

okay i'll go along with this.

Men's reasoning. Let's punch and kick at it.

You laugh, but this is exactly how I fixed the radar at work last Friday. :p

Limlim said:
SophiaGrace said:
whispers said:
mens reasonning is very practical, lets fix it, lets find a solution.
Woman reasonning,let me get it off my chest, let me think it thrue and then ill do something about it if needed.

Perfect ballance, since both ways are good or bad depending in the situation

I have to say that what you did right now is qualified as a woman action... you just had to let it off your chest. lol just teasing

okay i'll go along with this.

Men's reasoning. Let's punch and kick at it.

You laugh, but this is exactly how I fixed the radar at work last Friday. :p

Hey it's fixed, that's all that matters right? :p

You should write a book about how precisely aimed kicks and punches can fix electronic products when they go bad. :D

I'd buy it.

Me: My computer won't turn on. *turns to page 67 and reads aloud* "Kick tower 3 times in the USB drive"

I work on mechanical things, that "kick it" logic does work sometimes...and sometimes it makes it worse but hey, 50/50 right.

Sci-Fi said:
I work on mechanical things, that "kick it" logic does work sometimes...and sometimes it makes it worse but hey, 50/50 right.

Sci Fi do you ever feel compromised by being a moderator? As if you have to take the middle ground or otherwise keep quiet? Do you find yourself expressing yourself with your moderator's hat on? I'd probably find it tricky and just occured to me to ask.

The Good Citizen said:
Sci-Fi said:

Sci Fi do you ever feel compromised by being a moderator? As if you have to take the middle ground or otherwise keep quiet? Do you find yourself expressing yourself with your moderator's hat on? I'd probably find it tricky and just occured to me to ask.

He's undergone moderator training at a secret forum moderating military base. he's highly trained in effective modding techniques.

Moderating Agent 9875 <= his badge number.

Do they make you sit on a fence for 12 hours a day to pass not top or bottom of the class but ideally somewhere in the middle? :)

I'm kidding Sci Fi you have the natural balance of a Mountain Goat. :p

LOL!! Oh Citizen and Sophia you two made me laugh so hard.

The Good Citizen said:

That's a good question though. It is different from being just a regular member. Most of the time I try to be my regular self but I do have to watch what I say more so. I think I get along with most of the people here, I know there may be some people who don't like me, we can't please everyone. When it comes to having to moderate the people I like it does put me in an awkward position. That's bound to happen though, we're all human. It's less of me finding myself expressing myself with my "moderator hat on" and more of, will people be thinking I'm saying this or that because I'm a moderator, how will they take my comments now. There have been many times where I've taken the middle ground to try and keep the peace. There are times where you can't take sides, even when you'd like to, or have to put friendships aside.

I've been a moderator on other forums for a few years now, one I now own and it was my baptismal of fire. I got tossed into the middle of a very hot topic and had to either sink or swim. Luckily the administrator at the time was a level headed fellow and taught me a lot. Like keeping personal feelings out of certain situations and that you will make enemies, it's bound to happen and you can't take it personally.

Yeah I'd imagine there must be more to it than just the occasional "okay people, keep it civilised" its a thankless job really. *toasts moderators worldwide*

I think I would struggle with being impartial, you do build up allegiances after all. It was a bit like being a team leader, I thought I'm going to be everyone's friend and we will all get along just fine as a result. Then you find yourself listening to someone sobbing down the phone because their cat died 3 days earlier and they still can't face work and you think, why did I agree to this!? :p

Oh sexism :rolleyes:

sexism.jpg

ROFL!! Yeah, why don't people do that? If I got a girl pregnant I wouldn't mind my dick being rubbed for a good job. It might be the only thing it gets for the next nine months, and before the "you did this to me, you are never sticking that thing in me" starts while she's pushing the baby out.

The Good Citizen said:
Yeah I'd imagine there must be more to it than just the occasional "okay people, keep it civilised" its a thankless job really. *toasts moderators worldwide*

I think I would struggle with being impartial, you do build up allegiances after all. It was a bit like being a team leader, I thought I'm going to be everyone's friend and we will all get along just fine as a result. Then you find yourself listening to someone sobbing down the phone because their cat died 3 days earlier and they still can't face work and you think, why did I agree to this!? :p

Yes it is. Yeah there are times you think "oh crap what have I stepped into" especially when it comes to people you like and get along with. But that comes with the job. You can't play favorites.

If the root cause of a person's comment is hatred, it's a no-brainer. If the root cause is pain, fear, and frustration - we can jump to offense (which shows how affected we are by others) or we can try to bridge the gap and be the factor that reels a person back in from the precipice.

This comment isn't specifically directed at anyone, more at the general concept that offense is the best and should be the first response.

We can all go through our lives bearing our teeth and raising our quills at every transgression (real or perceived) and being the appointed representative of the collectively wrong parties.

Or, we can grow.

Flaw In your argument:

Serial Killers sometimes have been known to seek our victims that remind them of a girl that slighted them or some other figure that caused them pain. This is pain, turned into agression, but is this any less hateful and harmful?

Power/control

The main objective for this type of serial killer is to gain and exert power over their victim. Such killers are sometimes abused as children, leaving them with feelings of powerlessness and inadequacy as adults. Many power- or control-motivated killers sexually abuse their victims, but they differ from hedonistic killers in that rape is not motivated by lust but as simply another form of dominating the victim.[93] Ted Bundy traveled around the United States seeking women to control.[94]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_killer#Comfort_.28profit.29

Frito Bandito said:
If the root cause of a person's comment is hatred, it's a no-brainer. If the root cause is pain, fear, and frustration - we can jump to offense (which shows how affected we are by others) or we can try to bridge the gap and be the factor that reels a person back in from the precipice.

This comment isn't specifically directed at anyone, more at the general concept that offense is the best and should be the first response.

We can all go through our lives bearing our teeth and raising our quills at every transgression (real or perceived) and being the appointed representative of the collectively wrong parties.

Or, we can grow.

Nicely put

SophiaGrace said:
Flaw In your argument:

Serial Killers sometimes have been known to seek our victims that remind them of a girl that slighted them or some other figure that caused them pain. This is pain, turned into agression, but is this any less hateful and harmful?

The root cause is actually the episode in their past that caused them to become a serial killer (if in fact one episode in isolation can do this which I doubt, there will be other issues)

Pain and hatred will therefore be symptoms of a root cause. To my knowledge the OP has not gone so far as to become a serial killer and like most symptoms their's can probably be helped given a chance to let off some steam and some good advice.

Pain leads to anger, anger leads to the dark side ...bloody hell I sound like Yoda

SophiaGrace said:
Flaw In your argument:

Power/control

The main objective for this type of serial killer is to gain and exert power over their victim. Such killers are sometimes abused as children, leaving them with feelings of powerlessness and inadequacy as adults. Many power- or control-motivated killers sexually abuse their victims, but they differ from hedonistic killers in that rape is not motivated by lust but as simply another form of dominating the victim.[93] Ted Bundy traveled around the United States seeking women to control.[94]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_killer#Comfort_.28profit.29

Comparing a tasteless comment to a ritual killing...

is a little like comparing a minnow to a shark...

Yes, they both have fins and teeth, but...come on

Things don't happen in a vacuum.

Consequences must be weighed.

A person's life is of a much higher intrinsic value than a person mood.

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back