Mans' indifference and inaction... and my love of our feathered friends.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for helping the chick, it honestly makes my day when I hear about such things.
You probably did save it's life - you did the right thing as it was still dependent on it's parents and apparently it's difficult to get near a baby seagull with the parents around.

:)

I thoroughly enjoyed hearing the short story of what you did on that day. It was heartwarming, and your highlight of others' indifference and inaction was a wholesome and true viewpoint. It is wonderful to hear that the bird was placed in good hands.

I must admit that I would have been selfish, and tried keeping it. Giving it to someone authoritative on the topic was definitely the right move.

Thank you.

Cavey 2.0 still loves our feathered friends.

Cavey said:
Today, I went to do a bit of shopping. I bought myself a few items of clothing, then met up with my mother for a meal in a restaurant. A nice day.

As we arrived back at the car, I noticed a man taking pictures on his mobile phone - I just got in the car and thought nothing much of it. It was as we were driving away that I noticed he was taking pictures of a tiny fluffy seagull chick that had fallen from it's nest and was now limping around the car park. I saw other people watching and no one was doing anything, other than taking the obligatory cell phone photo...

I was sitting watching this when a car drove straight over the top of the chick and just barely missed it with it's tyres. Still, no one did anything. I decided that if no one was going to help this bird, then I was. I walked over and stopped people from driving near it - even if it meant blocking people from getting to a parking space. I tried to stand a small distance from it in the hope it's mother was nearby and would return for it, but she was nowhere to be seen. The poor thing kept chirping away and seemed to be scared and if I left it there it was eventually going to get killed. I contacted a wildlife sanctuary and they said it would be much better to pick it up and take it to them.

I went and got a blanket that we carry in the boot of the car and I gently wrapped the little guy up. It was then that I was waylaid by a large tattooed fella who 'politely' told me to leave it on the ground because it's mother would come for it. I asked him how he knew this and his reply was "Well, it stands to reason". I said that I had contacted a wildlife centre and they had advised me to do this, but he just blathered on that I was being cruel and blah, blah, blah. I ignored him and eventually he took the hint and buggered off.

Anyway, I held the wee fella all the way to the wildlife sanctuary and he seemed to warm up to me. He seemed happy enough by the time I got him there and the man at the sanctuary implied that he would bring him back to health and rear him to adulthood and then free him in the vicinity of where he was found. I'm happy with that outcome.

The thing that pisses me off is that everyone is happy to stand around doing nothing and just leaving this poor thing to it's fate. They'll complain that it will cost them time and money. They'll complain it will probably honeysuckle on them (They would be correct). They will then try and rationalise their decision:

"Well, I probably couldn't have done anything anyway"
"It will probably be OK"
"Someone else will help it"

Well, I'm not going to stand around and do nothing when I see something (or someone) that needs my help.

So, on the downside, I've been pooped on, had to spend money on a gallon of petrol and missed something I was looking forward to at 5pm. On the upside, I feel kind of warm inside and know that I made some real difference in the world - even if it was just for a single solitary seagull.

Why am I posting this? I don't rightly know, but I felt like it, so I did :p
A good post, What you did was wonder- full and kind, you deserve a medal not complaints. I found a little bird once when I was walking and my Mam told me to leave it in a shaded part so its parents would find it so I put it in a safe place away from danger. I am in favour of anyone helping animals.

Birds are so beautiful and queer   :D I have Laughing doves (they dont laugh though! :p  in my front yard, some of them bully each other out of the way for feed. I think they know there is plenty to go around though LOL, just nudging your own kind out of the way because its okay and harmless!! heheh

Definitely when seeing helpless creature and if its you standing there, if it met in your existence its kind of a duty, and also God guided the animal to you, the closest help. Its quick though because the warm fuzzy feeling of helpitude stays for the whole day, but it needs renewal!! Need to do more acts if kindness and good work, not just to feel good inside but to expand capability of giving help and kindness. The memories always stay warm and golden though, and gives that same goodie, pristine feeling!!!  :D

Sounds crazy but I have experienced God sent me a bird to guide ME once, yes I know am I so helpless lolol! I needed to use the toilet!! When you locked outside early (of school and dont know way in :rolleyes: !! I forgot to thank the bird though, but you cant realize what just happens at the time lol I'm laughing now, but it wasnt funny.

Latest posts

Back