Marriage is not a cure from loneliness - just realized

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheRealCallie said:
Restless soul said:
I thought about this amy. The trick is not to turn into your parents

Pretty sure the trick is to turn into no one but YOURSELF......

If I left home at 6 and was taken in by a family in some small village. Yes. Then maybe I might turn into myself

Restless soul said:
TheRealCallie said:
Restless soul said:

If I left home at 6 and was taken in by a family in some small village. Yes. Then maybe I might turn into myself

No one but YOU decides who you are going to be.  If you blame who you are on other people, that's an excuse so you don't have to blame yourself.

TheRealCallie said:
Restless soul said:
TheRealCallie said:
Restless soul said:

No one but YOU decides who you are going to be.  If you blame who you are on other people, that's an excuse so you don't have to blame yourself.
I was being facetious.  But can we blame our parents?
That's another thread topic

And here I've been patiently waiting for a new thread....so this one can get back on track

Restless soul said:
If you meet someone who says they don't care about being in a relationship. Never meeting anyone. And are perfectly happy.  They are lying. And keep them far away from me

If you're sad and lonely about not being in a romantic relationship, you need to expand your horizons and realize there are more to relationships than romantic ones. Non-romantic relationships can be had with friends, neighbors, family members, coworkers, meet-up groups, heck - people you meet in the supermarket.

If you don't realize that you can have meaningful relationships with people who aren't your romantic partner, then I suppose it makes sense that you feel miserable.

It's easier for those who have or have had a partner to downplay the significance of that, focus on what's still lacking in their lives from the relatively comfortable position of having someone.

Doesn't sound like a particularly healthy example of married life anyway.

I have spent most of my life feeling lonely. The word "lonely" doesn't fully captivate the depth of my feelings of depression and anguish that I had from a young age. I was subjected to daily bullying and abuse from my peers, had poor social skills and anxiety, no friends, was ostracized by my coworkers, and faced continual rejection from men.

I went a very long time without positive interactions with people and fought hard to cope and recover from the pain that I felt. I spent significant efforts, time, money in my pursuit of happiness but I still struggled. I've had so many moments in my life where I thought that I was finally able to pull myself from depression only to fall back into it again.

There is a lot of pride and emphasis in being strong and independent, and as sad as this may sound, I wasn't able to find my inner strength and happiness until I met my husband. My relationship with him doesn't "cure" all of my flaws - but it helped to finally have a loving, supportive friend by my side and it lessened my loneliness.

It helps to have support - any form of support be it through a social circle, family, network, or relationship. I believe that I would have done better prior to meeting my husband had I had some sort of in-person support somewhere.

Latest posts

Back