Maturity...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We here respect you for your differences. :)

Unfortunately, and in all honesty, we can't change how the people around you think, only you can.

Rayri said:
i hate that i brought this up actually. Please dont treat me differently because im...XP smaller than you. Not very comfortable right now =/ Just please dont treat me like a child. i hate that.

Not letting people get to you is a large part of emotional maturity, too.

Can't say I even understand what you are trying to explain. Maybe your not immature. Just wild and people can't handle it.

Rayri said:
Well then i cant be mature. Thats difficult. Words hurt. Bad.

Well, then you need to formulate a strategy to not be so affected. Confidence in yourself, and a slight willingness to accept others can be wrong, too. Most of all, though, I think you need a solid core of at least one thing you firmly am happy/satisfied with yourself in: "I"m a good writer/friend/animal person" etc.

Rayri said:
People say i write well. They all enjoyed my stories and poetry.

Then take confidence in that, and draw strength from the notion that you are a good writer. I used to win competitions, etc and I do remember feeling stuff like, "Well, I'm not very good at X, but at least I'm a good writer so I should focus and develop that. Specialization, etc."

Though I no longer believe in specialization persay, its still an excellent thought process for having a core of self-belief.

It really does have to lot to do with just being calm and gently imperturbable, from where maturity comes from a great deal. Let's say that right now you called me an idiot, a moron and far worse things. I would mentally do a small chuckle and move on, more or less unaffected. In real life, I would make a polite apology along the lines of "I am sorry you feel that way," and again, ignore it. "Sorry you feel that way" is a great line, btw, because it does not cast blame nor does it take any blame.

Thats a huge step. ive tried to tell myself im okay, but something always comesup that makes those feelings disappear.

Rayri said:
Thats a huge step. ive tried to tell myself im okay, but something always comesup that makes those feelings disappear.

Its always a fight. Its okay to lose sometimes, but keep trying. You will always win in the end :)

Hey, I think in a way, I share a part of the problem you have, thought not in such a large extent.

To me, at least, what annoys me the most is the sentence "Enjoy being a kid while you are one, you won't be able to when you grow up". Yes, because we can naturally dumb-down ourselves to be around the idiocy shared by some people of our age group. Some of it may also be restrained by the freedom we have; or lack thereof. While when we are mature, we are expected to behave that way (especially in cases like mine where we look like we're 3 years older) but the restrains are still there, and even though the maturity to handle the exam grades/studying for them, people like your parents will still see it as their job, and it will unfortunately remain that way until you go to college, and there's little to none you can do about it.

One thing "older members" like Sci-Fi and maybe even IgnoredOne (I'm just taking names off this thread, so obviously really huge amount of people is missing) may remember, is that when I first signed up here, I claimed I was 15. While that may not seem that big of a stretch from 13 (was 12 at the time), I was sick of being treated like a child by everyone else, so I tried using it as a refuge, cause if I was going to talk to smart/lonely people in here, I really didn't want them to overlook my opinions because of it. I also write a lot, normally over 5000 words per week, and it happened in the place I write to - and it happened there, so I really couldn't take the risk of it repeating here (that and because I'm portuguese, but that's a different story)

What you have to remember though, is if it is purposely to pick on you, then anything will go. When trying to hurt someone verbally, most use both their flaws and positives against themselves.

(would write more, tbh, but can't because it's ******* 11PM and my laptop is being literally taken off my hands. Good luck, I guess)

Latest posts

Back