Medication (lol subject sounds like spam)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starshine

Reaction score
Anyone else have thoughts on taking prescription medication for depression/anxiety?

I'm currently on a prescription that's working very well for me. Except when I forget to take it, then my mood swings are worse than before I was on the meds.

Any thoughts?

i think it can be good for some people. but i think some people become dependant on it. i think it becomes more psychological than they think and if they dont take it they are worse than before they started taking it.

it works for me i take a generic form of lexapro, I often forget to take it, but I'm ussualy alright if I forget though

Never have, even though I do have some PTSD anxiety.
I think it's alright for people who genuinely need it in order to function; the issue for me is the way it's urged on people who do NOT need it.

I never believed in a 'quick fix' before, but after being in and out of therapy and group for years and never seeing a real change in my behavior, only in my understanding of my thinking. The medication has helped reduce the anxiety and the depression.

But, I agree, it's not for everyone.

I was prescribed Xanax for my anxiety, but after waking up one night and not knowing where the hell I was (short term memory loss is a side-effect), I decided I'd try and go cold turkey. I started lifting weights after reading about the benifits it had in combating anxiety and depression. As time went by, my daily panic attacks were reduced to weekly panic attacks, then I had maybe a couple in a month and before I knew it, they were completely no-existent. I still suffer from general anxiety though. That's something I'll probably have to live with for the rest of my life, but at least I don't have to depend on meds to get by.

Im not a believer in the "Drugs fix all" belief.. In my OPPINION it's because Psychology is still in it's infancy.. It's at the stage Medicine was before the discovery of Bacteria.. They have an intense amount of research, and classify it into disorders. Through testing they find, ritallin helps calm down kids with ADD, Vallium and such will help people with anxiety, but they don't know WHY it works, and more importantly they do nothing to help the ROOT issue.
If your feeling really depressed, try this, it was the best depression advice i was every given.

Redo your Bedroom. Paint the walls, get new posters, design a room that you believe you will truly LOVE. Use light colours, ensure theirs plenty of light in the room, all the lights working ETC. I found that a large part of why i was feeling depressed was actually how dark my room was (white walls, no posters, 1 lightbulb) after i redid everything, i felt great, now even after a pretty crappy day, when i go into my room i feel instantly better, because it's my santuary, and i love it :)

I love taking my meds.... they make me feel normal... instead of a paranoid, anxious, depressed freak all the time. The only time i plan to go off meds, is if I ever become pregnant, and then i will go back on them. I don't care if i have to stay on them the rest of my life. As long as I am a functioning human being, I am happy.

I don't like the idea of taking meds, cause I find it impractical and I tend to forget, but I am pro medication if your mental health doctor believes that your depression is chemical based and that medication and psychology are your ways of combating it.

I was on Lexapro and Serequel last year and found it greatly improved my depression, general anxiety, social anxiety and agoraphobia. I never once believed that I was dependent on the medication however, and soon after feeling better I took myself off my medication (without my doctors permission). Bad idea, I sunk back into the depression that got me on the medication before.

I'm now taking Lovam as I was unhappy with the general exhaustion that I was feeling through the combination. I'm very glad to be back on the medication - my crying attacks have stopped, I'm able to correct my ridiculous thinking using the cognitive therapies I'm taught, I don't feel like offing myself as much, my panic attacks are minimal.

I think with correct use, the right medication and combined psychology works wonders.

Latest posts

Back