Meeting people doing volunteering?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wind Fish

Reaction score
I am curious what experience or knowledge people on this site have about volunteer work, especially things are good for meeting people or a least have younger volunteers to be around and not just old retirees.

Before I started work I was doing some volunteering on weekdays with a charity run coffee shop which was quite busy work but I got to be around a good range of age groups (though I wander if this is unusal compared with normal charitee shops) and nature conservation volunteering which had mostly old retired people though did help me get my job.

There are some conservation work parties running on weekends which may or may not have a better age range it being on a weekend. I am have time do more I am having a hard time identifying other organisations or knowing if they're suitable though.

As obvious as this seems I think the best way to find out would be to attend an event or scheme. I volunteer for homeless shelters, children’s hospitals, retirement care homes and animal rescue programs and can honestly say that no one area attracts more (or specific) people over the other. I’ve seen older people volunteer to walk an excited dog and younger people sit down to read newspapers to the elderly, at first I would have thought this the opposite but it seems that volunteering attracts people of all ages which is a wonderful thing. If anything I’d imagine that time of year would have a larger influence to attendee numbers.

So I’m afraid that I don’t have specifics on what demographic conservation work parties would attract but I would certainly recommend just attending one to see for yourself. You may well be pleasantly surprised and what have you got to lose?

If I didn't work I would definately volunteer to work in a chairty shop. It would keep me busy and give me something to do !

Just gotta watch what you volunteer with. Once when I did some volunteer work it was in the office of a VON, not a good place to meet people.

yes, same here, they sent to elderly's homes, no problem but that doesn't improve social life, especially as they often don't understand english,

I did some voluntary work over twenty years ago and found that, as far as meeting people was concerned, it was about the same as going out to reading groups or similar things. You may meet someone you click with or you may not. But it is worth a try.

I've found the volunteering thing as meeting people has its strengths and weaknesses.

First off, if the motive for volunteering is to meet people rather than help the starving children/trees/pets/whatever, while I think that's perfectly okay, other people might find this less than admirable.

There's also temp-volunteers, people you meet for a thing that never show up again after their personal agenda is done.

I met a girl volunteering for a play, but she sorta dropped off the Earth after that play was done. Volunteering for an interest based thing, like theatre, is a way of finding common interests though.

I've had some very bad experiences with volunteer work. At first, I was often told that my help wasn't required. When it apparently was, I was then given nothing to do. So when I just started helping to do something, I got yelled at for doing it. When I was given something to do, I would be yelled at for not doing it the way one person wanted it done. So they would show me how they wanted it done. Then I'd get yelled at by someone else for doing it the way I had just been shown. The last time I tried to volunteer, I was told that they didn't want 'my type' hanging around. I didn't bother to ask what 'type' they thought i was. That was the last straw with volunteering for me. I've had enough.

I've also been told that if you do volunteer work in the hopes of meeting people, then your doing it for the wrong reasons. Yet, I once heard the head of a large, international charity, saying how they couldn't do the work if they didn't get something out of it themselves. So who is right?

I first want to reply to Cucuboth, I'm just sorry that you had such poor experiences with voluneering, I've done a considerable amount of voluteering including in a supervisory role and if your had been involved with any project that I was involved with I would have gone out of my way to try to find some way(s) that you felt like you were included, contributing and respected.....

John H

I've done quite a lot of volunteering, has been good and important times for me.
Now not every moment of volunteering has been great, but definately more good than bad.
I was very shy/introverted and generally socially inept, one gets past this by "practise, practise, practise", and for me a few books of how to have converstations and interact with people.
Some of this goes back quite a while (I'm in my mid fifties now), I volunteered and helping a blind couple for the CNIB, was a volunteer for the Holistic Healing Association, the Western Canada Wilderness Committee, The Suzuki Foundation, and a number of other groups.

I started this post saying not all great, or great all the time but definately important from having experience that was rewarding, life enriching (again not every single moment, but overall) and a significant part for me for going from a fearful isolated person to one who can interact with people a good amount of the time.....

JH

Cucuboth said:
I've had some very bad experiences with volunteer work. At first, I was often told that my help wasn't required. When it apparently was, I was then given nothing to do. So when I just started helping to do something, I got yelled at for doing it. When I was given something to do, I would be yelled at for not doing it the way one person wanted it done. So they would show me how they wanted it done. Then I'd get yelled at by someone else for doing it the way I had just been shown. The last time I tried to volunteer, I was told that they didn't want 'my type' hanging around. I didn't bother to ask what 'type' they thought i was. That was the last straw with volunteering for me. I've had enough.

I've also been told that if you do volunteer work in the hopes of meeting people, then your doing it for the wrong reasons. Yet, I once heard the head of a large, international charity, saying how they couldn't do the work if they didn't get something out of it themselves. So who is right?

The head probably gets paid for running the charity. He's talking about something entirely different. Volunteer organizations are actually businesses, they just mostly take unpaid workers.

Your motives for volunteering are your motives, to be loved is a basic human need. Screw those people, they're full of crap, and they're hateful "do-gooders." The head is right, even though, he's probably not even a volunteer.

I've been in a ton of volunteer organizations mainly because I don't get hired a ton and need to be around people, Habitat for Humanity, Border Outreach (I think it was called), WWOOF, Hospice, and lastly my local theatre. Volunteer groups are sort of like interest groups, they're divided into categories based on the type of people who join them. The major groups are church-based, medical, government (something like Peace Corps), nature-based, and the arts. The are two main categories of people who volunteer, lonely people looking to connect, and "true believers" who become involved in something because they are genuinely concerned. The latter is dangerous, because while some of these are laid back and realize many people have many reasons to help, others become self-righteous hypocrites who convince themselves they are decent people and those guys are doing it for the wrong reason.

Habitat, I had a pretty normal time, but then I tapered off interest when it started to be a pain to drive up and back without having pay (it was about 15 mi away each time, and I wasn't making income). Then I overheard one of them talking about the nice forest across the way? Yea, they were gonna buy that up to bulldoze and make more houses. Being sorta into nature too, I got to thinking of other animals that could stand to have habitats besides humans. The final straw though was getting stuck in a ditch, and having everyone push me out, I got embarrassed and just left.

Next, I worked for Hospice. It was a choice between doing their thrift store (pass) and I did have some computer experience so I could sign up for helping with computer maintenance. I worked for about a year and rebooted alot of computers, and installing packages on them, improving my skills alot. This one, I had fun and got to do largely what I wanted in free time.

During a trip across country, I settled in with my sister in Douglas AZ, and found the Border Outreach, which was all about caring for people who'd crossed the border and gotten thrashed, beaten, and left to die on the border. The Border Patrol was trying to intimidate them, and tell them they had no business being there, but it was a humanitarian venture. Basically, this just boiled down to giving microwave burritos and clothing. I wanted to help, but I found I wasn't much good at caring for other people (I froze). So I was kinda out after the first day. I did however agree to help on the border garden they made watering crops.

Anyway, after awhile, I went broke because I couldn't afford my apartment there, so I joined WWOOF. It was basically volunteer organic gardening, which was a mixed bag, since you got religious nutters (I almost got sucked into an actual cult) and people who just wanted healthier farming. I had fun with it, but after a few people stiffing me (I was traveling the country after all), I applied only for the ones that offered the stipend.

And lately, I'm working on the theatre. I started volunteering, and then they offered me an actual position, cleaning the stage. Which is sort of going well, it's extremely spotty work, and I can't rely upon it as regular income.

Volunteering is about helping others, so I can say from experience that it is the best to search for something that fits your abilities and interests. After that, you look which one of these is the closest, since it is in general better to have a short way to it. Kinda helps you to reach it fast, so that you don't have long demotivational rides towards it. That kinda turns things down and that won't help you helping others. As well, if you may get asked to help out and you have time, then you can get over to it very soon.

As for meeting other people, it indeed is the case. I once served food and built shelters for homeless and poor people. That included a lot of contact with other people, both other helpers and the people you help. Now I help out in an animal shelter, which only includes the contact to the people who work and help there.

Still, I can't say that it will help you to get friends or anything like this. It is more like work, not like some kind of summer camp. So the other people that volunteer may not get to "buddy"-like towards you and you may rarely see how thankful the people you help truly are. But that's only from my experience ... rarely got a smile.
However, I can really recommend the volunteering that helps animals. They really seem happy, once they see you and they honestly tell you how they like your work.(They appreciate kindness.)

Latest posts

Back