Mentally torturing ourselves.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Reaction score
I mentally torture myself all the time...I going to try a strategy of not allowing myself to torture myself...Which means saying no to every anxiety, regret, what if?, depressive thought, indecisiveness. But I don't know if its possible, particually as I feel like I might be doing it almost all the time, without even realizing. I don't know what there would be without the torture because I'm so used to tormenting myself. I wonder what I would actually do if I didn't spend my time being tortured.

I can sympathize, sort of. I find that my thoughts go south more so when I am hungry, angry, lonely, or tired. So when I find I am on a bad train of thought that will begin to bother me or bring me down I look to those four things first and make sure I have taken care of those basic needs first. It's simple but it really can help, believe it or not. Beyond that sometimes it's best to try and distract yourself during those times with something you enjoy doing.

The other thing you can do is try to mindful of your thought patterns and trying to take a step back and realize 1) which ones cause you to suffer 2) to try and work on your ability to "hear" these thoughts so you are aware you are doing it and 3) to try and be master of mind, not mastered by mind and put your thoughts on a different path when you discover that you are thinking thoughts that hurt you.

Best of luck. Namaste. ( _ _)A

I do that a lot too. I've tried for years to sabotage those bad thoughts but sometimes I fail. Good luck to you. You'd probably be so much happier if you can learn to stop those thoughts, live a more care free life. I have a kid that works for me that never lets anything get to him, he's always happy, carefree, figures everything will work out on its own, so I figure living a life of not mentally torturing yourself must be like that.

If you're going to torture yourself, at least get one of those black leather masks and a whip!

Seriously, try picturing yourself in one of those outfits when you say horrible things to yourself.
Or try saying the same things to yourself in a Porky Pig voice.

I'm not kidding, these are the basics of NLP and they really can help take the edge off.

You could even find yourself laughing a few moments after these awful thoughts.

It takes a little practice, but it's worth the effort.

Your conscious mind may want that, but your subconscious has different programming. I would highly recommend you listen to some of the audio interviews of Bruce Lipton on the web to see why conscious desire cannot overcome much more powerful unconscious tapes.

Thrasymachus said:
Your conscious mind may want that, but your subconscious has different programming. I would highly recommend you listen to some of the audio interviews of Bruce Lipton on the web to see why conscious desire cannot overcome much more powerful unconscious tapes.

I've just been realizing how I always feel like other people are having an amazing time and are extremly happy. This is what makes me extra stressed/jealous/bitter towards other people. Yet its ridiculous, no matter how successful you are, you get used to it and it is no longer amazing, it just seems amazing to others, the grass is always greener etc. I don't just mean in wealth either, in people wth loads of friends/relationships they are not living some amazing life that we are deprived of. Yes it is more fufilling and something we should gently aim for, but its never going to be a case of our dreams have come true.

Latest posts

Back