Might be asking too much, but...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

futurecatlady

Reaction score
when I send someone an email or message, especially if I do it out of goodwill, I generally expect some sort of reply. It annoys and hurts me to no end when people just don't bother to write back. I mean, if I took the time to check in, is it really too much to ask for some sort of acknowledgment? I guess I can understand being too busy or important to respond to something "trivial" like a "good luck on your trip" or "how are exams treating you" but sometimes I really take effort in drafting a message, or I contact someone I usually don't initiate conversation with. Maybe it is a misplaced sense of entitlement on my part, but when I pour my heart out into a letter or go out on a limb in a way I usually wouldn't, I find it so insulting to get absolutely no indication that my message was read or even received.

Just sent out a "good luck on your trip" email to a close friend who was clearly online and able to see the mail, but of course, who has time these days to address such a silly thing as friendly concern? -_-

Addendum: Even after just writing that, I feel a little silly for making such a big drama of it. But I can't help feeling like the few times I actually try to reach out to the rest of the world, it is thrown back in my face or ignored.

Perhaps they just read it, and didn't think a reply was needed. I probably would have thanked you, but not everyone is the same. Sometimes, a response just doesn't come to people.

Email is the bane of my life, and probably the bane of most office workers' lives. Emails arrive in my work inbox in a non-stop flow, all demanding attention, and many requiring replies. It's relentless. I fully agree with articles such as these:

Workers 'stressed out' by e-mails
Office workers drowning in e-mail
Out of office, or just out of time?

When I get home in the evening, I have all my personal emails to deal with too. And there's never a respite. If you ignore your inbox for a day, the problem is twice as bad the next day. Of course, when you're sending someone an email, you can't see how full their inbox is, or how busy they are. All you know is you've sent them an email and haven't received a reply yet. Why not? Have I said something wrong? Are you ignoring me? No, I'm just drowning in emails. It makes me very sad and very frustrated when I'm unable to reply to a friend's lengthy email because I just don't have time to write a reply that mirrors the amount of effort they took writing their original message. I wish people would just text me, or (like in the good old days) have a chat on the phone.

I don't know if this is the reason why your friends don't always reply, FCL (futurecatlady!) Do they lead very busy lives? Are any of them office workers?

Ironically, I probably should be dealing with my inbox now, rather than posting here! :D

I think that your expectations are reasonable, but as someone here has pointed out, some people are inundated with emails. In addition, good manners on the internet, seem to be an optional extra for some.

futurecatlady said:
when I send someone an email or message, especially if I do it out of goodwill, I generally expect some sort of reply. It annoys and hurts me to no end when people just don't bother to write back. I mean, if I took the time to check in, is it really too much to ask for some sort of acknowledgment? I guess I can understand being too busy or important to respond to something "trivial" like a "good luck on your trip" or "how are exams treating you" but sometimes I really take effort in drafting a message, or I contact someone I usually don't initiate conversation with. Maybe it is a misplaced sense of entitlement on my part, but when I pour my heart out into a letter or go out on a limb in a way I usually wouldn't, I find it so insulting to get absolutely no indication that my message was read or even received.

Just sent out a "good luck on your trip" email to a close friend who was clearly online and able to see the mail, but of course, who has time these days to address such a silly thing as friendly concern? -_-

Addendum: Even after just writing that, I feel a little silly for making such a big drama of it. But I can't help feeling like the few times I actually try to reach out to the rest of the world, it is thrown back in my face or ignored.

I don't really expect replies from 'Good luck' type emails that I send. If they do respond, that's great, but I don't expect it.

It does bug me though when I send a long letter, one with lots of questions for the receiver, and never hear back. I don't send out letters like that every week, so I think the person really outta send a reply back eventually. I don't expect an answer the next day, but some day would be nice.

I hate when people do that too! I can understand when people are busy. Sometimes I'm too busy to write a proper reply so I'll leave it and come back to it the next day. But after a certain amount of days, it's pretty obvious the person doesn't find your message important enough to reply to in a timely fashion.. if at all. It can be very hurtful.

I guess looking back now, it is somewhat unreasonable to expect people to set aside their busy schedules and full inboxes to draft a response to every personal mail just because that is what I do. After all, they have no way of knowing whether I put thought into my message or just farted it out carelessly. Besides, I am prompt in my replies because I really don't get much mail in general, let alone personal mail. I am literally so excited when I receive a personal email that I become like an agitated puppy trying not to pee on the floor. I have to force myself to give it a few hours before replying. I do understand that not everyone may be like that, especially people with actual lives.

Anyway, this is why separate work/school and home accounts are needed! So you can ignore your boss instead of me.

futurecatlady said:
After all, they have no way of knowing whether I put thought into my message or just farted it out carelessly.

Are you saying that people can't tell the difference between those two types of messages that you write?! If so, you could save a lot of unnecessary time and thought by farting every message out carelessly! Hehe, just kidding :p

futurecatlady said:
I am literally so excited when I receive a personal email that I become like an agitated puppy trying not to pee on the floor.

What a wonderful and unique reaction to receiving email! :D

futurecatlady said:
I do understand that not everyone may be like that, especially people with actual lives.

Being very busy does not always equal "having an actual life". I've met some office workers who were very busy at work, but seemed to be mindless lifeless zombies (the zombiefying effect of working in a cube farm is a subject for a separate thread!)

I know exactly what you mean... I love sending people messages, either just to say hi, ask how they've been doing if we haven't spoken in a while or just... Well, little things, you know? I admit I... Don't necessarily expect a response, but I hope I'll get one. If I don't, I do feel a little sad. Whenever people send me messages, even if it's something silly, I always reply. I suppose it depends on the person though. :] My self esteem is rather low, so if someone doesn't reply I can immediately think, 'Oh, they must not really like me...' but that's just me being paranoid, y'know? I'm sure they appreciate your messages, regardless of whether they respond or not. :]

Latest posts

Back