My 4th of July

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sad sack

Reaction score
*Feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place. I wasn't sure where to post it.*

I hate holidays. I imagine most of us do. I don't like them for several reasons; They mess up my all important routine. I feel lonelier on holidays, even when I am with people. I get nostalgic for "the good old days". Lastly, I think they're just pointless.

Today was no different. For my non-American friends who may not know, the 4th of July is an American holiday, our Independence Day. It's supposed to be a celebration of the signing of the Declaration of Independence which freed us from the tyrannical oppression of our English overlords, lead by King George. That's what they used to teach in schools anyway. The real story why we became Independent is much different. But none of that crap matters anyway.

The 4th, like all holidays, is nothing more than an excuse to have a day off from work so you can party, get drunk, eat too much, and hang around a bunch of people you may or may not like. That's all well and good for most people. Now I have no problem with any of that stuff. However, for a social misfit like me, it's hell.

My brother invited to go to his friend's party. These are people I grew up around, but haven't had much to do with in the past ten years. I'm 50/50 at best in social situations these days. Sometimes, when I'm around people I know well enough, I do enjoy myself and put on a good enough show for the people. Othertimes, around people I don't know so well, my social awkwardness is on full display and I'm simply miserable. The last time I was with this particular group, I was in social failure mode. Awkward questions and more awkward answers abounded. I was just counting down the time before I could leave without offending anybody.

Not wanting to go through that again, and not wanting to offend anyone with a flat out refusal (I never wish to offend anyone for some stupid reason) I made up a lame excuse about working a 'catering job' to get out of going. Of course, living with an overbearing other who might relay the false tale to my brother, that meant I did indeed have to find somewhere to go for a few hours to keep up the charade.

So I set off to kill a few hours. This is much easier to do on non-holidays where one can kill much time at the library. After driving around aimlessly for a bit I ended up at some bookstore. I killed about two hours there reading a collection of mediocre short stories about eldritch horrors from other dimensions breaking through the dimensional barrier and entering our little, lowly realm. Chaos and madness were frequent, but it was all rather blah. For nearly every story I read ends in chaos and madness, or at the very least, death and dismemberment, of some sort. Even that gets old after a while.

Still, as I walked outside of the dark, quiet bookstore into a pleasant sunny day that felt more May than July, I couldn't help but be disappointed that no otherworldly monstrosities had crossed the dimensional plane to bring chaos and madness to our puny little planet. That would surely shake things up a bit. Alas, there wasn't much time for thinking happy thoughts at the moment. I still had a few more hours to kill.

Another aimless drive ensued. I ended up at some high school track. My first plan was to run a mile. I could do it in under 7 minutes when I was younger. Now I'm old and a smoker of over 8 years, so the running part of my track expedition didn't last very long :p I continued to walk for a bit before that got tiresome.

Back to the car, and back to more aimless driving. I just listened to the radio without a destination in sight. Eventually I ended up at a mall sort of place. I aimlessly browsed in a few stores for a while before remembering something I had in my car.

That something is my quoits. They're like horseshoes only round. I went to the park to set the poles up and figured I'd throw for about a half hour before finally heading home, with the time elapsed now being of sufficient length for a fictional catering job. While about to set up my quoit poles I realized, in true sad sack fashion, that I had no hammer. With the ground being hard, I could not beat the poles into the ground without a hammer.

Dejected that even this plan had gone wrong, I set off to nowhere in particular.... once again. I ended up at the grocery store this time since there were a few things I would have to pick up sooner or later. I got my items and went in line. I happened to end up in the line with this totally hot cashier. *Sigh* If only I were younger, more attractive, or had just an ounce of self confidence.... Standing in line I was trying to at least think of something clever to say, but cleverness never comes to me when I need it. Anyway, she seemed to be having a very bad day, grumbling to the point that the woman in front of me kept shaking her head in disapproval whenever the cashier looked down or away from her. I paid for my items and left.

I finally got home, came up with some lame details of my fictitious catering trip to tell the person I live with. While eating (If one good thing happened today it's the fact that I did eat well :p), a wave of sadness came over me. I thought of a happier past, as I often do in times like these. I thought of what I could or should have done. I thought of how things could have turned out differently if I had made different choices, or even if I had not been such a total loser/nutcase. Then I thought of my present situation. I thought of the futility of life and the emptiness I always feel inside, the emptiness that is amplified at holidays. I tried to think of the future but I have never been good at prophesizing things to come. Can I go through ten more years of living like this? Five? Even one? I don't know. I don't have any answers. Maybe I will. Maybe I won't. I just don't know.

Hey man, I know what it's like to have depressing holidays. For Memorial Day, my family had a big get-together. I'm so socially shy that I didn't even want to be around my family. I mean I never see or spend time with any of my cousins and all these people I feel like i don't know anyway. They might as well be strangers. Well the shindig was going to be where I'm staying at- with my aunt and uncle. Rather than be around all the people I left and drove around for a couple hours. Then I parked somewhere and slept in my car for a couple hours. Then I went to a movie by myself for a couple hours. I got some dinner after that which killed enough time that I could go home at that point.

Now I would actually enjoy spending some time with my friend here in Zanesville at a party, getting drunk or otherwise inebriated. I actually function pretty well socially when I'm intoxicated. I would have loved to go to a 4th of July party and ate too much, got drunk, etc. :p

But alas, I'm here at work and unable to go anywhere. All of the things I want to do I can't because I have work. All of the things I don't want to do I'm usually right there for. Sucks.

BUT that doesn't mean things won't change around my friend. A year from now could be completely different if we let it or work to change it. You hang in there man.

Awww mate, I'm sorry you had a bad "let's celebrate stabbing our motherland in the back" day ... holidays always have an alienating effect on a lot of people. Anyway, I looked at your intro post for some background and apart from having great taste in films it said you were 30, when from this I would have guessed that you were middle-aged ...

I don't believe for a moment that you'll be living like this in ten years' time. What you're not seeing is that you are capable of having friends, you have a partner, and some sort of family situation to be thankful for. Those things are a good platform on which to make a go of it again. For someone like you more than others, making friends takes a kind of strength. You have to really break your comfort zone before you get to the stage where you can relax around someone.

What you should take from this is that next time you should go to the party. It may be awkward, it may suck, but then again it may not. I can be incredibly dull in conversation, which is frustrating for me because my mind becomes interesting only when some stimuli makes it bloom, which is unlikely in an everyday interaction. Every time I go to a party, I KNOW I'm going to be the boring one who someone will have to talk to, but lately that isn't stopping me as much because I know that reticence takes you down a sort of spiral.

Next holiday, go to a party or something. If you don't have a party to go to, then maybe there's some charity work, a soup kitchen you can work at. I plan to do a lot of charity work as soon as I leave home, because not only will I meet a lot of nice people but I'll feel better about myself as well. When you're around people, it may suck, but at least things can HAPPEN - if you find yourself alone on a holiday, there's only one direction your mood will go in.

little_buddha said:
Awww mate, I'm sorry you had a bad "let's celebrate stabbing our motherland in the back" day ...

haha that made me laugh so much when i read it.

I'm so glad we're not patriotic enough here to have pointless celebrations like the 4th July, i don't know what i would do to get out of going to the festivities, i guess i'd feign illness every year and stay in bed and watch crap on the tv.

I enjoy Independence Day and the meaning behind it.

The holidays had been sucking it lately....not just the 4thofJuly but pretty much all of the holidays.
I got invited to attend a party or gathering yesterday but I didn't go...So I can't blame anyone.

Any holidays that involves families..I sort of go into my self pity mode.
I had too good memories of the good times I spent wirh my families and friends.
My life is not like that today :(

I still could had attended the party or the fire work show...but i didn't.
I actaully fell asleep then woked up sort of too late..(9:30pm).lmao
I felt like honeysuckle for a little while..so I went skinning dipping.
I felt better..and not try to let it get into my head.
I felt better this morning :)

The next sort of holiday is my birth day...That's been sucking ass for decades so
I don't think it's be too bad. I actaully spent my B-day home alone alot even though
I was in a relationship...
That's probably why I'm still fucken 29. No one notice my b-day or I han't celebrate a B-day
since i was 29:p

I worked 4th of July.

Even still though, we parked the ambulance out at the fireworks and were able to take part in the festivities. I'm not sure I liked that. I enjoyed watching the show, but crowds like that always make me feel so secluded and alone. My partner said hi to a few people and chatted briefly, which made me feel a little odd-man-out since he was the only person I knew there. I was glad when we returned to our ambulance.

sad sack said:
I thought of what I could or should have done. I thought of how things could have turned out differently if I had made different choices, or even if I had not been such a total loser/nutcase.

A little introspection can be helpful, but if done excessively it just leads to madness. We're human and we sometimes screw things up. You can't go back and change it. All you can do is make a few apologies, learn and make better choices the next time around.

Besides, when the Great Old Ones return to wipe their scaly bottoms with the crust of this feeble planet, none of it will matter. ;)

Latest posts

Back