My fear of diseases

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guld

Reaction score
I'm simply so very, immenesly, never-endlingly scared of getting sick. Heck, right at this moment, I'm certain that I'm terminally ill, and once I get myself to see a doctor, he or she will only confirm it to me. I have always been worrying about getting some severe disease some day, but I don't think it has been outside of the frames of the normal worrisome person. But it has really derailed, through the last couple of months, into a numbing fear, as well as into certainty (for which there really isn't any reason).

I'm simply so scared. I'm certain that I have a brain tumour, and that it will cause my death. The prospect of going to a doctor, and getting it confirmed, scares me almost as much. I'm planning on going as soon as I can, but I'm so scared of the result that will come of it. Anyone else that experience the same thing? Complete certainty of sickness, and of your own impending death...? It's really not a happy topic, but non the less of real importance to me - it has really gotten a hold of me, this fear.

Hej!

I have the same problem, although I have gotten much better at it. It's my one weakness, especially when talking about the heart. I'm still thinking/fearing my heart will break down or that I'll die in my sleep from time to time though. **** me for being such a hypochondriac!

I wish I had some useful advice, but it's not so easy to 'just stop worrying'. For me it took some time to accept my worries and to gradually learn to live with them/accept/overcome them.

Hi, and thank you for the answer!

Well, it really is a wearying problem, isn't it? It's quite hard to imagine that all of this actually comes solely from imagination and nerves...

I've had that fright concerning the heart, me too. As you've said, there really isn't much to do once you're caught up in it. Luckily though, I have quite certain proofs that there aren't any problems with my heart, or any problems to be expected in the future. So I've managed to stop worrying about that, at least. I think it's really strong of you, though, to be able to control your thoughts and feelings to that extent - if it hadn't been that I actually new there were no problems, I hardly believe I would have been able to let go of it.

I've scheduled a doctors appointment for tomorrow, though. Now I just have to make them do a really thorough check-up, so that I can actually put some relief in having a medical statement of my non-sickness :).

I'm not sure if this will help, but I had cancer back in 1995 and I found that having it wasn't as bad as worrying about it, because all of my energy was focused on recovering. Waiting for the biopsy results was the worst part because of the uncertainty, but once I knew the bottom line, I was able to face up to it and accept it. There was a chance that I might have died, but I remember thinking that, if I did, it would be worst for the people left behind than for me.

Well you are getting yourself sick only by thinking about diseases. You really need to relax. It does you no good to be obsessed about it. in the contrary, it may be the reason why you'd get sick.

If you go to a doctor, and they tell you are fine; just stop worrying about it. I had that same thing, but it went away with time (and psychological work).

Tiina63:

I do understand what you're talking about, and I have thought about that quite a lot - it would be better just to know, and not having to have that uncertainty draining your energy. I don't know if that's how I would feel if actually were sick though.

How nice to hear that you got well, anyway. I tend to think that cancer allways ends badly, so it's nice to hear of the opposite sometimes :).

Hej again :)

How did the doctor's appointment go? It is indeed a wearying problem, really drains your mind and body if you get completely caught up in it. Thanks for the compliment, I do my best to keep it under control as good as I can (but I admit it, I do visit the doctor atleast twice a year for a check up :p).

I guess the key is to think positive thoughts and to remember that living in fear isn't quite living! :)

PS: Indeed nice to hear that you survived Tiina. It's uplifting to hear stories like that :)

Liley:

Aaaaah - worst thing to hear for a hypochondriac! Getting sick by worrying about getting sick... Phew ;).

I've heard that that actually happens though, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. Stress seems to be one of the worst, in the end.

Ak5 said:
If you go to a doctor, and they tell you are fine; just stop worrying about it. I had that same thing, but it went away with time (and psychological work).

Thank you :). Yeah, well, I've been to the doctor now; "no worries", that's the verdict! Luckily enough, I feel calmed down, and for sure I aim at letting it stay that way. It is hard though, when you really are scared - which I'm sure you know. I'm guessing the reason would be general anxiety in my case, or something of that sort. Interesting way to go of the body and mind, trying to deal with it.

Well it may be the worse thing to hear but a good solution. I mean if you start to think that stress will make you become sick, maye you'll start looking for solution to get rid of that stress.

(sorry if im not helping)

guld said:
Liley:

Aaaaah - worst thing to hear for a hypochondriac! Getting sick by worrying about getting sick... Phew ;).

I've heard that that actually happens though, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. Stress seems to be one of the worst, in the end.

Ak5 said:

Thank you :). Yeah, well, I've been to the doctor now; "no worries", that's the verdict! Luckily enough, I feel calmed down, and for sure I aim at letting it stay that way. It is hard though, when you really are scared - which I'm sure you know. I'm guessing the reason would be general anxiety in my case, or something of that sort. Interesting way to go of the body and mind, trying to deal with it.

That's good!

I used to be very anxious about my health before. And for good reason, I had HBP and was overweight. Now I am normal weight and have normal BP. My tests show that I'm normal in everything as well.

But now I rarely even think about my health. And so do you! Worry when your entering your 50s :D

Peter Lorre said:
Hej again :)

How did the doctor's appointment go? It is indeed a wearying problem, really drains your mind and body if you get completely caught up in it. Thanks for the compliment, I do my best to keep it under control as good as I can (but I admit it, I do visit the doctor atleast twice a year for a check up :p).

I guess the key is to think positive thoughts and to remember that living in fear isn't quite living! :)

PS: Indeed nice to hear that you survived Tiina. It's uplifting to hear stories like that :)

Hi :)

It went very well, to be honest - thank you for wondering! The doctor made a thourough examination, once he had unveiled what I was actually worrying about (honstey lasts longer, I thought to myself, even though I felt exactly like the big hypchondriac that I probably am). And, according to him, I seem to be in great shape - and thus should have nothing to worry about :). So I feel mighty good, and mighty relieved. They've taken quite a lot of blood test as well, to rule out some other things, so I feel really well taken care of.

The day after, my friend sent me a piture of a headline in a major Swedish news paper, in order to mock my worrisome nature: "Swedish youth seeks healthcare unnecessarily - even for small problems. A generation used of getting what they want - immediatly". My diagnosis then? A spoiled brat, it seems :p

Well, twice a year - basically nothing! I don't know what the average is, but I'd think that twice a year must be quite good, even for a non-worrier... which makes it really good, if you actually are a worry-person! Yeah, in the end, I think that happy thoughts and feelings is the best cure, me too. I rarely have these bad feelings when I'm happy, and actually should feel I have something valuable to loose. It's really nice, simply being able to enjoy the moment :)

Badjedidude said:
Hypochondria, perhaps? Munchausen's?

Hypochondria, I'd say.

Ak5 said:
That's good!

I used to be very anxious about my health before. And for good reason, I had HBP and was overweight. Now I am normal weight and have normal BP. My tests show that I'm normal in everything as well.

But now I rarely even think about my health. And so do you! Worry when your entering your 50s :D

Haha, I think that's true - thank you for the positive thinking :D I reckon I'm all relaxed and full of precious life experience by then, and understand better than to let myself worry my time away with no purpose... :)

Ak5 said:
Good, I'm happy for you. :D

Thank you :D I just noticed I didn't answer anything on your last post... but that was easily fixed :)

How nice to hear that your health problems got better, and that you have no problems with it now - it must feel wonderful :)

Latest posts

Back