My Inner Stupidity

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayri

Reaction score
My parents think im "book smart" (psh) but when it comes to real life, i dont act like i have any common sense. It depresses me because me and my cousin were playing a VERY logical videogame (Portals 2) and how he would make fun of me everytime he figured out a puzzle. Even the videogame agreed. (Apparently, his character was better than mine and was doing all the work) i feel like a stupid person. i wish i had a high IQ. From what everyone is saying, it dosent seem so. i feel so helpless when my parents say that. (Anyone in general.) "Oh, CHILDREN don't think !" i feel like such a burden. i always think im doing the right thing, things older people would do. Turns out, im acting like a **** child when i try. i wish i could just go away and trouble everyone no more. Live in a tree with a totoro.

I can relate to what you are going to, all my life my parents always made smart ass remarks and sometimes downright mean gestures towards me. I have now come around and realised how horrible it actually made me feel each and every time they have called me a "dumbass" or the like. I hate my parents for it, and they still have not realised in the end how much it has affected me, my self confidence and how it consistently made me feel terrible about myself and I still feel like they sometimes put me down, and that is why I was so excited to go to college, I feel so much better now that I dont regularly get put down. I know every time I am called something derogatory I go on the defensive and either dont say anything or try my best to rectify the situation only make myself look like more of an idiot.

Even though I am away from my parents, I still feel like an idiot much of the time in social situations, as sometimes I dont think of what I am saying before it comes out of my mouth and I make myself look like a complete idiot. Im always catching myself thinking that im such an idiot/retard/dumbass for saying things that make me look stupid. I am serious, I still do it constantly and I feel like everyone around me thinks I am a complete idiot. Much of the time I feel the same way, I wish I didnt exist and sometimes want to just hide, yet other times I crave talking to people just because I feel so lonely and dont see a point to anything in this life.

I kind of get where you are coming from and believe me when I say, you are not dumb....I know you are good at something and I know I am good at something (being computers myself). Honestly I have never actually been "Good" at anything in my life EXCEPT computers. I know you can find intelligence in any person, even if they feel like idiots. I found my strength and you just need to find yours.

You have to believe that that is not true. I know that there are others out there who will like your writing! You just have to find them. Maybe you could find some sort of writers club online? Have you posted any of your written things here? I would love to read them if you are willing to share!

If writing is your thing, do not get discouraged, try to ignore others opinions, as the one that matters the most is your own. If writing is an enjoyment of yours, keep doing it, dont let others wreck your enjoyment...as it is not anyone elses to wreck. If you let others control what you do...you are just like the other "sheep" in the world, it is a responsibility of all those who desire and dream to be unique and different. If that didnt happen...what would our world be?

Rayri said:
My writing isnt popular anymore. No one likes them.
So i dont know what to say.

I’d say put in some more effort at least. From your previous posts you seem to have problems with being perceived as childish, nothing wrong with that in itself but when people take the time to write a response or offer advice, responding with a “woe am I, time to give up” retort isn’t helping. I’m not having a go at you per say, I notice it a lot on these forums, people want support, support is given, then they ignore it completely to wallow away. innerfyre gave some encouraging advice so well done to them.

As for being smart? Well let’s just forget what your cousin and their video game says for a start. I could speed around a race course in Mario Kart but that still doesn’t make me a good driver. You’d also be surprised by how many seemingly intelligent people, like academics, doctors or scientists lack common sense. I know people who can cut out and operate on a human brain yet struggle to change a light bulb or make a slice of toast. It happens a lot so don’t feel that you have to be smart at everything in order to succeed, know your strengths but also know your weaknesses. Heck I never had a university degree because I couldn’t handle the work load but can speak five different languages fluently so I know I’m not stupid and neither are you.

Stop trying to tackle everything at once Rayri, I’m sure that I’ve told you this before but take your time and things will come naturally, there is such a thing as trying too hard and I wonder if that’s what you’re doing and expecting too much.

That kind of thinking can actually be learned and practiced. Some are naturally wired to think that way but anyone can get good at it. I'm sure there are some mental activities that you are naturally good at mhmm.

I get the "you're so smart, you're wasting potential" talk too. I always have. I don't think my parents can accept the fact that I'm only average/mediocre.

little secret..
grown ups have no idea what theyre doing either.
having an hi IQ doesnt necessarily make you smart in everyway.
dont be so hard on yourself.
when youre young youre supposed to learn things, when your older too for that matter.
youre already trying to improve yourself, be proud of that.
stupid people dont know theyre stupid.
be the best you you can be, dont listen to other people putting you down to much.
mostely they dont know what theyre talking about anyway.

Rayri said:
My parents think im "book smart" (psh) but when it comes to real life, i dont act like i have any common sense. It depresses me because me and my cousin were playing a VERY logical videogame (Portals 2) and how he would make fun of me everytime he figured out a puzzle. Even the videogame agreed. (Apparently, his character was better than mine and was doing all the work) i feel like a stupid person. i wish i had a high IQ. From what everyone is saying, it dosent seem so.

GlaDoS randomly insults people, not based on actual performance but rather she counts footsteps taken and guesses that as "work done."

The mark of effective people is not "naturally high IQ" usually as much as it is hard work. Nicholas Telsa was an unmitigated genius, but make no mistake, he worked harder than almost anyone at the theory and the implication.

I may be one of the few here who genuinely believe in the concept of IQ, but you're vastly oversimplifying it. In short, though, high IQ does not correspond with high 'common sense' and really, focus on these two things if you want to improve your overall competence: concentration('executive function in the brain') and memory(n-backs appear effective for this).

Yup it's true. There isn't a magic adult pill that you take when you turn 18 that grants you magical adult powers. There's no guide. Everyone's wingin' it. Your parents don't know what's best for you. All they have are educated guesses. Usually it's based off of personal experience but sometimes it's just based off of what they've heard works. They do have experience on their side though.

Wow. If only that kind of pill existed. i'd feel like i could ride to the moon with all the happiness inside.
Thank you. You are all so helpful.
Yes my poems are all in the "Express Yourself" part of the forums. i suggested maybe no one likes free verse poems or dosent understand them XD maybe thats why no one ever replies to them.
Like i said, im not very good at ignoring peoples comments. i dont know whats wrong. i guess i could try.

Latest posts

Back