My Mother: Should I Call Her?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millarca

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am hoping to get some insight as to whether or not I'm doing the right thing by NOT maintaining contact with my mother.

My mother was abusive to me as a child in every way you can imagine (save sexually), so I resent her anyway. She is still emotionally and mentally abusive, but I try to deal with it because she's my mother and she's lonely. I am her friend, confidant, and personal accountant. She relies on me heavily, so I try to never let her down.

Part of never letting her down is having to call her at least three times a day, which I find ridiculous. Recently, she asked me to check her bank account and inform her of her balance. I didn't think I had to do it ASAP, but apparently, I did. I called her later to let her know, and she was angry that I hadn't let her know earlier. She didn't answer my phone calls and did not call me for a bit over a day. I called her, like I always do. A few days later, I was on the phone with her when my fiance walked in. She said, "Well, I'll talk to you later" (not even the other way around). I called her later and she said, "You didn't have time to talk to me when I had time" and couldn't talk to me because she was at work (she was mad, so she wouldn't have talked to me anyway). Once again, I called, trying to be the bigger person. She did not answer the phone. On the third try, I told her that it would be up to her to call me. It's been three days, and I have not called and she has not called me. And this is the worst offense to me - she kicked me out of her house for visiting my boyfriend (who lived in another city) on the Friday and Saturday before Mother's Day Sunday - not Mother's Day but the Friday and Saturday before it. I was on my way home that Mother's Day, and she told me I needed to find somewhere else to live. Instantly, I had to give up my job because I didn't have a home there anymore. I've been unemployed every since. Thus, I had to move back in with my deadbeat boyfriend.

But she does some good. She has given me hundreds of dollars during my long-term unemployment. In fact, she recently gave me $200 for my car payment, saving it from repossession, for my birthday. And though she was abusive to me as a kid (I'm talking extreme abuse - pulling hair out, punching, name-calling, etc.), I never wanted for any material thing. And, finally, she's my adopted mother. I don't know my real parents, so ... I'm lucky in that I could have just been claimed by no one as an infant.

My mother KNOWS what I am going through. I am trapped in a relationship because I have no other place to go. I have been unemployed for over seven months and have lost several necessities, such as car insurance, health insurance and the ability to finish my dental treatment. And, worst of all, as my membership here might suggest, I'm ... alone and lonely. I have only her and a boyfriend who'd sooner spend time with his computer than with me. That's all I have. And ... I'm super emotional because of losing everything. She knows this. I can't depend on her; so easily her love is withdrawn when I don't call on time.

I'm tired of being the bigger person. In the past, I've said, "What if she dies tomorrow? What if YOU die tomorrow?" But I notice that I feel even more resentment for her than before when I have to call her, pretending like I'm not still hurt.

Am I wrong to cease contact with her?

Thank you for your advice!

in my opinion.. i would cease contact and hold firm. my grandmother tried to be like that with my dad after my grandfather was dead a few years. she only got worse and worse as time wrnt on until pretty much everyone in my immeadiate family stopped speaking to her. right up until she died.
i dont have regrets though. you reap what you sow. she caused her own isolation.
you have to live life and look forward.

I feel so much for you. Her behaviour does sound like trying to command control and attention in every way possible.

Think Walley is right, cut off communication at least until she realises you are not going to tolerate this behaviour.

Don't feel guilty, she is probably relying on your continued loyalty to carry on doing this. You haven't done anything wrong by nipping this in the bud - in fact sometime you have to be cruel to be kind.

I know I have also been through it.

I know it sounds mad as she is the parent - but you have to teach her.

With one stress off your mind by doing so you should have more emotional strength to resolve the other problems.

I can imagine at the moment you feel like you have no where to turn to.

This may seem a large elephant to eat with all thats going on - but you can do it 'a bit at a time'

Thinking of you.

I haven't spoke to my parents for about five years- haven't suffered for it and it was quite liberating to shake off the shackles of "duty" when I finally admitted to myself that they'd long failed me in their duty.

Works for me, maybe, maybe not for you.

From what I have seen in similar situations. parents/grandparents either fear loss of control or abandonment or just don't want to let go of the reigns.

If you don't stop it from happening, one day you may have kids of your own and you will have that role hijacked from you too.

If you make a stand you have every chance of having the relationship with her that you deserve. If you don't I doubt anything will change.

Have you ever seen 'Taming of the shrew' ? same sort of thing in a way.

But do what is best for you.

Millarca,

I'm so sorry to hear what you went through when you were younger.
That sort of thing really has an effect both physically and mentally.

Truth is that either way it's not going to be an easy decision.
I think you have to do what you feel is best for YOU.

Obviously it would be easier if your boyfriend was a bit more supportive and involved.

Unfortunately there is always going to be hindsight where you look back and say I should have done this or I should have done that.

I wish you all the best no matter which decision you make.

I actually just posted a thread about some issues I have with my father so I really know how frustrating it is to have issues like this with people that close to you.

My relationship with him is very different, and he has never been abusive or anything like that so I wouldn't really say that you and I are in similar situations.

But to me personally I would really hate to not have contact with him and from what you have written it seems like you feel that that might be taking it too far also.

As OnlyMe said I think it is ultimately up to you to find ou what is best for you, but if you do decide to call her, I think the two of you need to talk about what acceptable behaviour is. She needs to understand that you have your own life and that you can't necessarily call when it suits her the most and that she has no right to be mad about that (especially after throwing you out).

But from what you write it doesn't seem like your mother is the kind of person who is particularly good at handling a conversation like that, so I guess it's up to you to decide if you think it's worth the shot.

all the best

Walley said:
in my opinion.. i would cease contact and hold firm. my grandmother tried to be like that with my dad after my grandfather was dead a few years. she only got worse and worse as time wrnt on until pretty much everyone in my immeadiate family stopped speaking to her. right up until she died.
i dont have regrets though. you reap what you sow. she caused her own isolation.
you have to live life and look forward.

I understand what you're saying. But I think I'd feel terrible if she died on THIS note. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that feeling is reciprocal. :(

This is a game to her. She's winning, and it's a shutout, because I've called her first after these sort of arguments. Yet I can't forget that she's helped me financially and that virtually spoils me whenever I visit. She's not completely bad; it's just I have to be abused if I want to have a relationship with her.

Siiiiggggh. I feel myself weakening, but I'm trying to resist.

monkeysox said:
I feel so much for you. Her behaviour does sound like trying to command control and attention in every way possible.

Think Walley is right, cut off communication at least until she realises you are not going to tolerate this behaviour.

Don't feel guilty, she is probably relying on your continued loyalty to carry on doing this. You haven't done anything wrong by nipping this in the bud - in fact sometime you have to be cruel to be kind.

I know I have also been through it.

I know it sounds mad as she is the parent - but you have to teach her.

With one stress off your mind by doing so you should have more emotional strength to resolve the other problems.

I can imagine at the moment you feel like you have no where to turn to.

This may seem a large elephant to eat with all thats going on - but you can do it 'a bit at a time'

Thinking of you.

Thank you, monkeysox.

It definitely is easier to be more productive without her drama. I've completed more applications than before. She's a real drag because she's always telling me how much of a deadbeat D is, that I'm a fool for being with him (even though she kicked me out of her house, leaving me nowhere else to go but back to him...), that I'm not doing anything with my life ... She enjoys using whatever I tell her as ammunition against me.

I am applying to lots of job without her around, but I still have her in the back of my mind.

Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts :)

Lonely in BC said:
I haven't spoke to my parents for about five years- haven't suffered for it and it was quite liberating to shake off the shackles of "duty" when I finally admitted to myself that they'd long failed me in their duty.

Works for me, maybe, maybe not for you.

Yes, "shackles of duty" - that's a great way to describe it.

I wish I could say it would work for me. I'd not have someone constantly making me feel like trash, but I'd be sad that I didn't have a mother anymore. And I'd be sad that I cut off someone who seems to need me.

It seems as if when someone gives advice to stop talking to her, you say "yeah, BUT.....". You've already made your decisions it seems.

Do you think the fact that you were adopted is making it harder for you to face up to cutting your ties with her? I'm wondering if it’s bringing back a sense of abandonment that you've already gone through once before? Sorry to psychoanalyse I don't know the full story, but I wonder if it would be as hard if it was your natural mother who was just being impossible whether you would have so much trouble facing up to keeping your distance.

You do seem to want to defend her, personally I think she sounds a very lonely woman too (I'm assuming she lives on her own). I see her giving you money as a means of control, I'm guessing the fact you have your boyfriend and the problems its caused as her resenting the fact you are not around and having you financially dependent could be her way of keeping you tied to her. It sounds like you have suffered a lot at her hands, being punched as a child and poured scorn on, you don't deserve that and its sad to hear you thinking you do in a way because she offered you a home. An adoptive parent is a parent and with that comes all the responsibility to love that child as if it were your own (because it is your own), if you're not capable of that then you shouldn't look to adopt. A roof over a head doesn't give someone the right to treat someone as badly as she has at times.

My personally feeling would be the correct thing to do would be to have this out with her, tell her how she has behaved toward you is unreasonable and at times abusive. You have two choices here; you can be strong and make the right choice or be a slave to your insecurities and keep jumping though hoops for her. I think its time you became the strong one in this relationship and lay it on the line for her, you’re a grown woman who has a life to lead and she has to accept that or you will go it alone. There was a time when you were dependent on her but now the role has reversed and so take strength from that and say it’s on your terms or not at all now.

And get your boyfriend off that bloody computer. ;)

Millarca said:
I try to deal with it because she's my mother and she's lonely. I am her friend, confidant, and personal accountant. She relies on me heavily, so I try to never let her down.

It is not your burden to bare. Why concern yourself so much with letting down someone who has obviously let you down.

Sterling said:
It seems as if when someone gives advice to stop talking to her, you say "yeah, BUT.....". You've already made your decisions it seems.

No, I have not. I may have mentioned trying to resist, and that I'd feel guilty. None of those comments, however, are indicative of my having made a decision.

Hard for you Millarca, you must feel torn.

Please remember that you didn't create this situation, but because you are actually a stronger person, you are the right person to bring it to a conclusion in the way you feel best - only you know how that will be.

I hope you don't take your mothers behaviour (past or present) personally, you obviously have always barred the brunt of her issues, you are not the cause of them.

You are strong, well moraled and still loyal in your approach to this, you are the better person. Please ,'Remember that'

What TGC says makes logical sense, trying to discuss it as a first approach may be something that makes you feel more comfortable .

The Good Citizen said:
Do you think the fact that you were adopted is making it harder for you to face up to cutting your ties with her? I'm wondering if it’s bringing back a sense of abandonment that you've already gone through once before? Sorry to psychoanalyse I don't know the full story, but I wonder if it would be as hard if it was your natural mother who was just being impossible whether you would have so much trouble facing up to keeping your distance.
Hmmm, I'm not sure. But I definitely think my being adopted has a lot to do with HER treatment of ME. I don't feel like I've felt a sense of abandonment, but it could be a subconscious thing. I know it (my being adopted) definitely makes me feel obligated.

You do seem to want to defend her, personally I think she sounds a very lonely woman too (I'm assuming she lives on her own). I see her giving you money as a means of control, I'm guessing the fact you have your boyfriend and the problems its caused as her resenting the fact you are not around and having you financially dependent could be her way of keeping you tied to her. It sounds like you have suffered a lot at her hands, being punched as a child and poured scorn on, you don't deserve that and its sad to hear you thinking you do in a way because she offered you a home. An adoptive parent is a parent and with that comes all the responsibility to love that child as if it were your own (because it is your own), if you're not capable of that then you shouldn't look to adopt. A roof over a head doesn't give someone the right to treat someone as badly as she has at times.
You are absolutely right; I cannot argue with that at all. She is a very lonely woman. She has no friends, except me, her sister and some other woman she's known since childhood. She lives with my sister, who is not so developed mentally, so she can't lean on her like she has leaned on me. My sister, at 26, is seemingly going through the "teenager phase," where she's just now becoming boy-crazy and is constantly on the phone. Thus, she does not keep my mom company as I did when I lived there.

My personally feeling would be the correct thing to do would be to have this out with her, tell her how she has behaved toward you is unreasonable and at times abusive. You have two choices here; you can be strong and make the right choice or be a slave to your insecurities and keep jumping though hoops for her. I think its time you became the strong one in this relationship and lay it on the line for her, you’re a grown woman who has a life to lead and she has to accept that or you will go it alone. There was a time when you were dependent on her but now the role has reversed and so take strength from that and say it’s on your terms or not at all now.
I did call her a few days ago. I'd say things are back to normal at this point, but when I did call her, she was not as bullying as she usually is. She said she started to call me but didn't. My mother is not one to apologize. What she will do is tone down her alpha attitude. Thus, for the first day or so, she wasn't telling me how much of a failure I am, how awful D is as a person and using whatever I say against me. I told her that she could me sometimes. I asked her WHY I have to do all of the calling. I do need to have a talk with her. I just ... dread it because I know it can make things worse if I don't word it correctly.

And get your boyfriend off that bloody computer. ;)
I'd have to be Meagan Goode, Rosario Dawson or Gabrielle Union to get him off of the computer. LOL. He does a lot that I hate.
I caught him sending questionable messages to his ex.
No matter how much I attempt conversation, he gives me one-word answers. I'm lonely all day because he has a job and I don't. So when he gets here, I like to get some attentino, but I don't.
He's a bit of a deadbeat.
He's lazy. (I do all of the cleaning as he pays all of the household bills, and I don't ask him to do any cleaning or cooking. However, he's a slob, and he won't do the one thing I ask him to do, which is take out the trash).

Sooooo the computer is the least of my concerns with him. Even when he's off of the computer, I feel like a piece of the furniture. LOL.

Latest posts

Back