need advice on school

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avalon

Reaction score
In addition to working full-time, I'm enrolled in 2 online courses from a local college. Since the term started, however, I haven't touched the coursework at all because of severe bouts of depression and suicidal thoughts.

I'd say a good 30% of my day is spent just shoring up my mood to get by the day without going insane. The other 70% is spent working, and the usual daily stuff cookng,cleaning, etc).

My functionality is like a car that spends 30% of the time in the shop, and you can only drive it 60% of the time.

IN short, I don't have enough time to devote to studying.I'm thinking about dropping at least 1 of them, which will result in a W on my transcript. Should I still go ahead and do it? If not, I would likely fail one or both courses given that my mood swings and depression leave me exhausted and unable to concentrate.

Thanks

Well, if you cut out showering, eating, sleep.........

Sorry bud, not trying to make light of it. Can you get extensions by any chance? I suspect not or you wouldn't have posted your concern. Any possibility of a couple of "sick" days, unplugging the phone, etc., and ramming your way through the "easier" of the two- would give you a great sense of accomplishment!

Yes, drop at least one of the courses.

Now you either dedicate your spare time to the remaining course, if you think that you can pass it in your current mental state, or if you think that it's too much for you right now then you should drop the other one as well and allocate that free time to what you think is best for you.

Lonely in BC said:
Any possibility of a couple of "sick" days, unplugging the phone, etc., and ramming your way through the "easier" of the two- would give you a great sense of accomplishment!

I had the same thoughts, that perhaps I could perhaps spend more of my time on one course, and then just barely passing the other. That would be awesome! and it would feel great too.

Reality is though I haven't even opened a single textbook. I will likely drop the easier of the two courses (If I'm only doing 1, might as well be a hard one). I find myself sitting in mcdonalds or starbucks in my spare time, or shopping to alleviate stress, lol.

what bugs me as well is that there's no refunds, and I feel compelled to stick with it.

I was going to agree with the others about dropping a course, but if you've already paid for it you'd hate to waste the money.

Eh you are doing what is best for you, forget about the money. Do what you feel you can handle. If you do this, then you will pass a course, if not, then fail both.

Always recommend attending part-time or evening courses, as opposed to online learning.

Obviously has to fit in with the person, though.

Good luck sorting it out :)

Some are suggesting that you take courses at an actual university but, with your depression, I don't think this will help you any more than online courses. It may hinder you further. You will find it just as difficult to get to campus as you do to get your work together now. There are many online college advantages. You will reduce your commute and be able to work on your own time. Clearly, you are struggling to get your work done now because you aren't motivated and depressed. I'm sorry you are having a hard time. I wish you the best of luck.

Latest posts

Back