Needing to like yourself.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
to like yourself the positive things about you and the things you do/say/achieve have to be confirmed and reinforced by others. As most of us are isolated and alone this is not possible.

cumulus.james said:
to like yourself the positive things about you and the things you do/say/achieve have to be confirmed and reinforced by others. As most of us are isolated and alone this is not possible.

I like myself, I am great !

be your own best friend..i dont know thats what i try to do..im not always feeling good about myself but if i keep telling myself positive things about myself..it sometimes works. i just sound nuts , sorry

I don't like myself either, so I can't be of much help. It does indeed seem like the ones who like themselves had happy stable childhoods, had people love and care for them unconditionally and who gave them confidence in themselves. They were handed it on a silver plate, it seems. While it was the opposite for me, so it would take a long time and hard work to care about myself but there is so much resistance. All I know is that I've always been neglected, so how can I be bothered with myself now. I wish I could, but for now it just isn't working.

Yes you can.

You need to find your positive qualities, know your flaws and negative qualities and over come or accept them. Everyone has something they are good at. Maybe you are a good cook, creative, an excellent writer/artist, musician, thinker, conversationalist, etc. Make a list of things you are good at, anything and everything. Post it somewhere that you will see it everyday.

No one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes. Learn from the mistakes you've made and don't dwell on them, accept it and move on, same with any regrets you have. You can't turn back time, what's done is done, what's gone past is gone, which is really hard for some to do, many of us here have a hard time with that one.

Not everyone blows smoke out of their ass. Ask someone you know who will be honest, find out what they think your positive qualities are. Maybe someone has said something nice or what they like about you. Even if it's from your parents or friends, someone you think might be biased, they are still giving you positive reinforcement.

Change what you can that you don't like about your life. The smallest of changes can bring happiness.

I find what I'm most proud of is what I've done to try to change my life. I hit rock bottom about 20 yrs ago, I didn't like myself then because I wasn't being true to myself. It has taken 20 yrs and I still am unsure of myself sometimes, but I like myself a lot more now I have followed my own ideas of how one should live and behave.

Okay let's try this...

I affirm you to be a great, fantabulous, awesome, human being. :D

Latest posts

Back