New Dream Theater album

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rosebolt

Not sure if anyone is interested in them or know them, but a couple of weeks ago, a new song from their upcoming album was leaked. I can't say i dislike it, quite the opposite.

[video=youtube]

Dat intro.

I've seen them live twice, and have their entire discography.

I think I know of them, lol.

I'm preordering the album. I know I'm getting the digital copy. Not sure if I'll order a vinyl copy as well. I'm excited that they're going back to their early sound.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
I've seen them live twice, and have their entire discography.

I think I know of them, lol.

I'm preordering the album. I know I'm getting the digital copy. Not sure if I'll order a vinyl copy as well. I'm excited that they're going back to their early sound.

Yeah, me too, i also really liked A Dramatic Turn of Events. I personally think that they went back to the good stuff on that one as well, with Portnoy the dictator gone. I remember a segment of Breaking all Illusions reminding me of Learning to Live, which says enough.

Dramatic was awesome. I love that album. The new drummer was good, too.

The one before it, Black Clouds, was good, too. It was a lot better than Octavarium, that's for sure. But it was too samey. They needed a new direction.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Dramatic was awesome. I love that album. The new drummer was good, too.

The one before it, Black Clouds, was good, too. It was a lot better than Octavarium, that's for sure. But it was too samey. They needed a new direction.

Aye. I didn't really like the lyrics on Count of Tuscany though, it just sounded very dumb and unimaginative. Almost hilarious to have James sing them in such a serious way. Musically, it was good, sure. But yeah i agree.

Octavarium was.. different. Then again, the title song is one of their best, in my opinion.

What is your favourite album, if you have one?

Niiiiice. That's a good intro indeed.

I don't listen much to Dream Theater but I do have the Octavarium album. My personal favourite from that album's gotta be Panic Attack.

[video=youtube]

ladyforsaken said:
Niiiiice. That's a good intro indeed.

I don't listen much to Dream Theater but I do have the Octavarium album. My personal favourite from that album's gotta be Panic Attack.

[video=youtube]

It's my favourite from Octavarium too! Haven't listened to that album in a while though.

Wow, didn't expect to see a DT thread in here! I've seen them twice back when Portnoy was still around (I also have a picture with Jordan and a few signed CDs!) and it was nothing short of amazing. I'm excited about the new album... I think they'll be sorta rebooting themselves on this one.

I like everything they've released so far, but my real favourites are definitely Awake, Scenes from a Memory, Train of Thought (say what you will, it's the only 'we're trying to be HEAVY' DT album I really enjoy) and Dramatic Turn of Events

ladyforsaken said:
That sounds really cool, klatter. I bet they were great live.

Oh yeah! The first show I attended is definitely one of my top 5 concerts. And I haven't really been to a lot of shows, heh :p

klatter said:
I like everything they've released so far, but my real favourites are definitely Awake, Scenes from a Memory, Train of Thought (say what you will, it's the only 'we're trying to be HEAVY' DT album I really enjoy) and Dramatic Turn of Events

The new album is pretty much going to be Dramatic Turn of Events on steroids. Also with some orchestral stuff. I'm getting pretty excited for it as well.

Couple of snippets:

[video=youtube]

Enigma Machine is going to be the instrumental on the album, according to an interview with James Labrie i just read.

--

[video=youtube]

This is a snippet from their new 20-minute epic.

I'm not listening to leaked stuff. I want to be surprised.

And yes, they are great live. Both times I saw them live, I was blown away.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
I'm not listening to leaked stuff. I want to be surprised.

And yes, they are great live. Both times I saw them live, I was blown away.

I understand. Glad the videos don't automaticly play, then!

Bad part from me to not have thought about that, i could have added a warning, since i described some stuff too. Apologies.

Okay, I have it now. :)

This is honestly their best album since Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence. This is back to their classic sound, just very progressive and heavy.

Album rankings:

1. Images and Words
2. Awake
3. Scenes From A Memory
4. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
5. Dream Theater
6. A Dramatic Turn Of Events
7. Falling Into Infinity
8. Train Of Thought
9. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
10.Systematic Chaos
11.Octavarium
12.When Dream And Day Unite

I see now why they self titled it, because it essentially shows what Dream Theater are, as a band.

^Jealous! I'm so excited especially about the 20 minute epic and Enigma Machine!

Just out of curiousity, what don't you like about When Dream and Day Unite? Charlie? :p

No, I love WDADU. And Charlie sounds like Geddy Lee, which is awesome.

I just think all the other albums are stronger. Since I love all 12 of their studio albums, ranking that as their worst album means that I rank all the rest of them pretty **** high.

Latest posts

Back