New Here - Rant

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randomhero1984

Reaction score
I signed up here because it was absolutely random in my search for a place to talk.

I've been through so much horrible **** in the last 6 years I don't understand why some close to me don't understand the will power it's taken to get through it.

I won't get into a life story, however in a nutshell this day 6 years ago I was happily married with a son, a beautiful home, good job, I had really made it from absolute and total poverty and drug problems to being a healthy, loving, in love, happily married and living an impossible dream. Shortly after my wife cheated, she then kinda back peddled and called me in tears and for hours explained how horrible she felt and how sorry she was and was very sincere. The next day she took off and I never saw her again until court where she basically said the most horrible and outright fabricated stories possible, wouldn't speak to me, was seeing someone else, was threatening me in anger constantly and just turned from the happiest best thing in my life that I cherished daily for 10+ years to someone absolutely hating me and never telling me why at all.

I learnt, regrettably, to accept she wasn't the same, I moved on (Eventually), and got to a place in which I recognize that for that time we were together it was the most amazing part of my life, I love our child, we at least "Talk" now but that's about it.... it's dealt with. However anyone who's been divorced knows lawyers bankrupt you.

So it's 6 years later, I really hit low for a very long time after losing everything, most importantly my family which I loved very much more than words could ever describe. My best friend, wife, love of my life (who I as hard to believe is true, totally accept is of the past. It would never be the same), home, hard work, friends, passion, drive, humility... I pretty much worked + slept non stop for 3 years after (Seeing my son was the only thing keeping me ok).

I've had brief moments of financially recovery but times are hard, my professional job sector's salaries are dropping faster than the housing market, I'm paying so much in support it leaves me with probably 45% of my income. I got so depressed I first drank a lot, then realized no amount of drunk ever worked anymore to make me forget how horrible life had gotten.

I kept working 80+ hours and more throughout all this, I'm good enough at my somewhat rare skillset that I have shown up drunk to work and done my job but that was at its worst, I don't do that anymore cause again, no amount of inebriation dulls things anymore.

I suppose that gets to my point, I'm not so much lonely because I have had a bad life up till the past 6 years, and I do love my child, but I used to be very involved in very DIY, activist (social/civil rights/ecological), Musician and just kind of (on personal reflection) someone I was proud of. I've lost touch with 100s of friends, I can't relate to most personally and deeply because my life hasn't been a normal straight arrow. I let some aspects of my health get bad, got back in shape but have some battle scars from it (not self inflicted or anything like that).

My depressive periods are what I consider normal in saying it was the worst time of my life by far, now I find myself struggling to swim and survive economoicaly for myself and my child but also having no personal life anymore, no friends calling anymore, nobody seems to remember me despite the fact I used to have so many artists and fun people in and out of my homes for decades being involved in the 90s/2000s underground cultures that existed. I've lost every aspect of me and don't know where to find anyone to relate too when I feel I come from a very different life than most I've met.

This might make no sense to most, some to few and sound out of context to some. I'm just tired of having nobody to talk to anymore, and I miss people (Friends) who are all but gone (out of town, country, married, dead), it's like life moved by without me....

I'm not depressed or suicidal, just a bit emotional in day to day life.

Sorry that you have gone through all this.
Welcome to ALL

Sorry you are going through a rough time. But, i think there is hope. You sound like a very accomplished person who has just lost your way. I am glad you put down the bottle so that didn't spiral out of control. At this point, your life has changed dramatically from what you it was formerly. You need to now right your own ship. You have a good focus on work, which is great. And, your son. Keep those lines open and contact and do things with your son. Now, it is time to find you again. Pick back up on the things that make you, you. You are an activist, a musician and DIYer. Resume your passions. Get back to being you. Resume your interests again with pride and enthusiasm. You got this.

"....it's like life moved by without me...." It sounds like the 'old normal' is gone and the new normal isn't anywhere as good.

OK, you're still you, only a bit battle scarred and not quite the same person, not quite able to relate in the same way to the friends and life of the old normal....

So don't try and get it back 'cause it's probably impossible. Instead, know that you're one hell of a tough survivor, you've already prevailed against poverty and substance usage and you made a pretty good life before getting dealt some real adversity....use those inner resources to make the next iteration, the next "normal' something you're proud to be. And pass on those life skills to your youngster.

I thought my similar experiences were bad. It's really painful to think about what you've gone through.

randomhero1984 said:
DIY, activist (social/civil rights/ecological), Musician

If you have time to collaborate, please PM me.

A lot has happened to you. But thankfully you've managed to tread through it :) Just don't give up now.

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll make a lot of friends here :)

Happy I logged in to check in, was expecting lashings for being to woe is me. Been probably the most depressed time of my life and I can't talk about it to people close to me.

Thanks everyone... have to catch up on some msg's

Sometimes life changes (and not immediately for the better) and turns us into someone we don't know or even like. Sometimes we realize it and sometimes we don't. It can take years to realize that we want our inner contentment back. By that time, that contentment will need to come from some place other than where it came from before. We may never be who we were in the past, but we can certainly create a new kind of contentment.
I wish you luck with what you're going through - I've been in a similar place.

I'm not one to pass judgement on another, unless I have met and know them on a personal basis.
All I can say is that you are not alone. My ex abandoned me years ago and I'm still trying hard to reclaim my old self on a daily basis. So much was promised, plans were put into motion and after many, many years of being single and having a few relationships that were not to be, well, this relationship was the one. The one to make all the failures of the past, all the lonely feelings, and all of the missed opportunities fade way into the ether of distant memory She made it seem so! And when the cracks started to appear, the crumbling away was something i never could fathom. "How could anyone do this to someone they love?"

The way the relationship just crumbled away quickly, it's sort of similar to having a close family member pass away suddenly. You eventually come to terms with it, but you never completely heal from the hurt. For myself, I doubt I ever will heal (time heals all wounds is a common BS platitude), plus, I'm getting old (50+) and chances for finding 'love' have nearly dimmed out altogether.

People like your ex often have some sort of deep seated personality disorder; a common trait for anyone who would just up and leave a relationship 'cold turkey'. You get too close and they retreat, sometimes, by distancing via no contact, or just plain disappearing altogether. Often, the disordered partner already has another person if not several, in their life and can go from relationship to relationship at whim without any concern or empathy towards the departee.

Thank you

I'm not innocent, I was perhaps a bit afraid of her leaving and always felt a bit like she could do better. I dont think it was the driving force but I can admit it.

I do miss her, I wish that could stop. I want to move on, I've accepted its done and times are very much changed. I dont want to love her anymore

Latest posts

Back