New Here :)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StormyRose

Reaction score
Hello, I am StormyRose. A little bit about myself: I just turned 45, am married to a wonderful guy and have one ds, almost 7. We live in a great house, in a great neighborhood, our son attends a great private school. With all this greatness I should be happy, and I AM, but I also feel so isolated! I am a SAHM.

I've definitely had bouts of being lonely, but in the past few months it has grown. My best friend and her family moved at the beginning of the school year, and although I am very happy for her, she was the one person who really knew, as a mom, where I was coming from. We both parent very similarly, have similar interests, etc. I do have other friends, but no one that Really understands where I am coming from like my best friend does.

I also do not have much family. My mother, who I did Everything with, passed away six months after I got married. I still miss her SO much! My father has been gone years and years. I have one brother, who I get along with well, but his wife and her family takes up much of His time, which I understand. Other cousins, etc. either aren't interested in hanging around me, or I'm not interested in hanging around them (for a variety of reasons, probably on both ends!)

Our neighborhood, a upper middle class area, has a lot of other SAHM's, but I haven't found many friends here. Most of the mom's parenting styles are different from the way I parent - I don't allow my child to hit me (and get away with it), I don't spank my child, I don't do or Do do a million other things that other moms around here just seem to either Do or don't do!

I also feel on the outside since we live in an upper class area and I don't spend to live up to the lifestyle. I can't afford the trips to the spa, the gym membership, the vacations, etc. that other people do around here. Mostly though, I'd rather NOT hang out with these women, BUT that is isolating!

Well, I could go on, but that's pretty much it for now. When I was single, I never dreamed that someone married with children could ever feel lonely. And maybe what I'm feeling isn't strict lonliness, but the feeling that I don't belong. The funny thing is, I feel like I don't belong, but I don't Want to belong with these type of women!! How much sense does that make??!! Thanks for letting me get that out!

Hello StormyRose :) Welcome.

Take your shoes off and stay a while.
Anyone can feel lonely. I guess it doesn't matter what your cicumstances are. I think sometimes people reason that because a person has this or that, they shouldn't be lonely. That's not true.
I think people get lonely because they don't feel connected to others.
I think we all want to be heard.

[/quote]...And maybe what I'm feeling isn't strict loneliness, but the feeling that I don't belong. The funny thing is, I feel like I don't belong, but I don't Want to belong with these type of women!! How much sense does that make??!! Thanks for letting me get that out!
[/quote]

LOL! Boy, oh, boy! Can I ever relate to that feeling...:)

While our circumstances sound very, very different, I can definitely sympathize with you, and your feelings make complete sense to me. I live in a very small, 'redneck' sort of town, and I don't think I'll ever fit in with the people here. It's not that they're nasty people - generally, most people here are very pleasant, but I just don't have anything in common with them...And yes, despite feeling lonely at times, I don't really want to have anything in common with them...If that makes sense??!

Anyway, welcome to the site. Feel free to PM me if you feel like chatting anytime...Cheers!

StormyRose said:
The funny thing is, I feel like I don't belong, but I don't Want to belong with these type of women!! How much sense does that make??!! Thanks for letting me get that out!

Go to the other side of the tracks. Plenty of friends there!

Latest posts

Back